Professional Web Applications Themes

image placing...what am i doing wrong? - Adobe Indesign Windows

ok i have several dozen screenshots saved as uncompressed TIFFs. i use the photoshop wizard to re-size them to fit the way i want them to in my indesign doent. however when i go to place the file into indesign (FILE>PLACE) indesign, when placing the file, says it's a 'jpeg'. it's NOT. when i go to print it, it looks like the worst jpeg image on the planet. what am i doing wrong?...

Sponsored Links

Default image placing...what am i doing wrong?

ok i have several dozen screenshots saved as uncompressed TIFFs. i use the photoshop wizard to re-size them to fit the way i want them to in my indesign doent. however when i go to place the file into indesign (FILE>PLACE) indesign, when placing the file, says it's a 'jpeg'. it's NOT. when i go to print it, it looks like the worst jpeg image on the planet. what am i doing wrong?
    Sponsored Links
    keith_robideau@adobeforums.com Guest

Default Re: image placing...what am i doing wrong?

It uses JPG for the screen preview. Don't sweat it.

Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

ok. still, my printed images, despite not compressing the TIF files, look like they're just bad jpegs.

what could i be doing wrong here?

Don't Photoshop wizard them. Dont do anything to them. Place them, scale them, and see if it looks alright on print. If blurry, you are compressing them somewhere along the way. Don't let the screenshot software jpeg compress them when it takes the snapshot.

Mike Witherell
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

And when you print, make sure you don't choose the default Optimized Subsampling in the Graphics panel of the print dialog box.

Mike Witherell

Is the Photoshop Wizard resampling or scaling your screenshots when it resizes? If you have a 800x600 pixel image at 72 ppi, you've got an 11.11"x8.33" image, but you need a (for example) 3"x2.25" image. If you placed the raw screen capture into InDesign and scaled down to 3"x2.25", you'd have an effective resolution of 266 ppi (800 pixels/3" = 266.666 ppi). If you scale the image in Photoshop, you'd wind up with a 3"x2.25" image at 72 ppi (resolution stays constant without resampling). Try placing the raw screen captures in InDesign and scaling there. To place multiple screen shots, place and scale one image, then duplicate and re-link the next image into the duplicate frame. It should retain all scaling info. Repeat.
    Greg_Gaspard@adobeforums.com Guest

ok i'll try this. however if i take just the native TIFF file it'll wind up being 9 or 10 " wide, and i need them shrunk to say 5" wide...are you saying i should resize images in indesign?

wow thanks greg i'll try this and report back.

Well, no. They are 9 or 10 inches wide AT 72 ppi, right? If you want to take them thru Photoshop, do an image > image size, and then turn OFF resampling and set the rez to, say, 300, and then the pixels aren't interpolated nor fuzzied. Click OK and they will be in an unharmed condition. Turn resample OFF.

Mike Witherell

Yes. By scaling (and not resampling) 50% in InDesign, you'll double the effective resolution. It's the low resolution you're getting by scaling in Photoshop that makes the images look so pixelly.

You could use Mike's method instead, but if you scale in InDesign you don't even need to launch Photoshop.

> You could use Mike's method instead, but if you scale in InDesign you
    don't even need to launch Photoshop.

I go this route as well, scaling in InDesign.

-John O

JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

ok i've recaptured all images with a 300 dpi resolution. when i go to place the images into my indesign file, they appear to be very smallish and cannot be enlarged without losing all integrity.

can't figure this out.

have two sets of original screen captures. both sets are TIFs.

one set is set to 96x96 dpi. the other is 300x300 dpi.

when i drag the native 300 dpi image into indesign, it looks roughly equivalent to a thumbnail image and has ZERO integrity. looks like poop and even worse when you increase it to the intended size.

when i drag the native 96 dpi image into indesign, it looks like the appropriate size. BUT when i scale it down it loses all resolution.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG here? it's gotta be something simple i'm missing.

Wrong approach. You're dealing with screen images, which are defined in pixels. There is no such thing as "dpi" in this case until you apply a size. If you're assigning a resolution of 300 pixels per inch to a 800x600 pixel image, you're getting a 2.66"x 2" image (800 pixels/300 pixels per inch = 2.66 inches). You're only changing the rate of the pixels, not the amount. (I'll put it this way, if you drive 20 miles at 100 miles per hour, you may get there quicker than if you drive at 50 miles per hour, but you have not changed the length of either a mile or an hour.) If you enlarge the file, you will be decreasing the effective resolution, but depending on your halftone line screen and final output resolution, you should be just fine. Use your Info pallete in InDesign to determine your effective resolution.

Drag it in how?

Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

just a 'drag/drop' from a windows explorer session to the open copy in indesign.

thanks guys i really appreciate your help here. indesign is amazing at allowing me to create some very stimulating learning materials. dare i say these manuals i'm creating aren't even boring. no wait let's not get crazy...(o;

basically i'm here to teach myself this stuff. the university i work for is great at buying software...not so great at paying for training for said software...(o;

How are you creating these screen captures?

i'm using robo-screencapture. the images are being saved as TIFFs....24 bit per pixel, uncompressed CMYK. and i've done a batch at 96 dpi and 300 dpi.

Are you defining a size (as in 3 inches wide, 2 inches high) when capturing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast