Professional Web Applications Themes

Image Resizing - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Something odd seems to have just happend. I want to re-size an image to make it smaller then it currently is I'm going from 1704 x 2272 to 300 x 400 pixels. I have no problem doing that but the quality is just horrible. I could swear that I used to be able to adjust the pixel size and then independently adjust the resolution in pixels per inch. Now whenever I enter something in the resolution box it alters the image size. How can I adjust these independently or at least make high quality smaller images?...

  1. #1

    Default Image Resizing

    Derek_McEachern@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Image Resizing

    If this is something that had been working correctly - and you're sure you're using the same method that has worked in the past - it might be time to delete the Preference folder.

    With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the (Win) Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes. The Preference folder will rebuild as Elements continues to launch. You might loose some custom settings you made in the program, but it should also eliminate any corruption that may have crept in.

    When you resize, do you do it by changing the width and height of your image or by manipulating the resolution? If you do it by changing the width and height, make sure you have the resolution set (with resample off) to something within the "target" printing range of 150 to 300ppi. It sounds as if your image might be opening at a resolution of 72ppi and that you're just changing the dimensions while "Resample" is checked. If so, this would give you a low quality image.

    Personally, I always resize by changing the resolution until I hit the physical size I want.

    If neither of these suggestions clear the problem, repost and let us know what you've tried.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    You CAN adjust the pixel size downward (downsample) and then adjust the
    ppi of that downsampled image.

    Of course, a 400 pixel wide image is not of much value, except for
    onscreen use. And for onscreen/web, ppi has no meaning, only the pixel
    dimensions are used.

    Why do you care what ppi your 300x400 pixel image has?

    Mac
    Mac_McDougald@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    So maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about :-(

    I've re-built the preferences like you suggested Beth and it still isn't working the way I remember it. It's a really good possibility that I just don't remember it correctly. I might have got it confused with cropping where you can specify the image size and the pixels/inch.

    To answer Mac's question these re-sized images are only for the screen, a web page, so I don't want them much bigger then 300x400 because they take forever to load.

    It just seems like I should be able to take a high quality large image and re size it down and get something that is at least the same quality but they certainly don't look it.
    Derek_McEachern@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Derek, 300x400 is pretty small; will only take up a quarter of the screen
    for someone running 800x600. Would be fine for a web page, so long as it's
    not expanded to fill the screen of the viewer, especially if the viewer has
    their screen resolution at 1024x768 or higher. Stretch those pixels back
    out over those largerdimensions and it can look pretty grainy (pixellated).

    There are two tasks you're trying to accomplish: one is to get the right
    pixel dimensions for the screen display; and the second is to get a file
    size small enough to load quickly. The former is pretty easy - go to
    Image<Resize<Image Size, make sure Resample is checked, and change your
    pixel dimensions in the top section. That will give you the right
    dimensions, and, when saved, will likely be a smaller file than the original
    you downsized. However, when saving that picture, you have the choice of
    several formats and levels of image compression to influence file size.
    TIFF files will be the largest, and you don't want to consider those for web
    use. JPEG files are your best choice for photos, and this is where
    compression enters in. The creation of a JPEG results in a compressed image
    which is much smaller than a TIFF. Elements gives you a wide variety of
    choices of how much compression will be allowed; the more the image is
    compressed, the smaller the file BUT the poorer the quality when it's
    reopened. The Save for Web dialog will show you how large your resultant
    file will be for varying degrees of 'quality' - the lower the quality, the
    higher the compression. It may be that you're pushing for the smallest
    pixel dimensions AND the smallest file size; that will definitely (I almost
    said 'clearly' but that would be misconstrued as a pun...) give you the
    poorest quality photo when reopened.

    Hope that helps...

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest