Professional Web Applications Themes

Image resizing problem - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'll do my best to explain. First off: ID 3.0.1 on Windows 2000 prof. Recently I have encountered a new problem. This is the scenario prior to my problem: 1. import TIFF (it places at 100% just fine) 2. crop same image in Photoshop and update. 3. CTRL+ALT+C fit frame to content. perfect image is how I want it. Now what happens is after I update from the saved, cropped image the image in ID resizes larger to compensate for the crop. So it is a pain to go and then resize the image back down to 100%. I have ...

  1. #1

    Default Image resizing problem

    I'll do my best to explain.

    First off: ID 3.0.1 on Windows 2000 prof.

    Recently I have encountered a new problem. This is the scenario prior to my problem:
    1. import TIFF (it places at 100% just fine)
    2. crop same image in Photoshop and update.
    3. CTRL+ALT+C fit frame to content. perfect image is how I want it.

    Now what happens is after I update from the saved, cropped image the image in ID resizes larger to compensate for the crop. So it is a pain to go and then resize the image back down to 100%.

    I have done full restarts, trashed preferences. I don't know if it is related recently ran the CS2 compatibility update.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Michael_Savage@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Image resizing problem

    Before using edit original, make sure you you're selecting the image and
    not the frame.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Selecting the image and editing isn't working either.

    Also if I reduce the percentage of the frame the dialog still says 100%, I have to direct select the image to find out the percentage.
    That is a new problem too.
    Michael_Savage@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Now I'm debating a re-install. Now if I have a frame that is say 80% and I go up or down a percentage the dialogue flips to 100%.

    If I do re-install can I just do ID CS or do I have to reinstall the whole package? If so what is the order again?
    Michael_Savage@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Michael,

    You shouldn't be considering a reinstall. It sounds to me as if ID is working the way it should. When you resize a frame it will always reset to 100% because what it was isn't relevant. You have to direct select the image inside to see its percentage, and that is always relative to the source.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I agree on the reconsider re-install, which I didn't do because I was overlooking something.

    However I set my frame and image inside to 100% and resize the frame and image simultaneously using the percentages in the control palette. That way when I click on the frame I know that the image inside is the same percentage and I don't have to use the direct select tool. This is just my preference and had always worked for me until a couple of days ago.

    AFAIK the program was working correctly but I must have had something clicked in the control palette, seems to be fine now. Thanks for the input.
    Michael_Savage@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    ...that is always relative to the source.

    Not so. If you have scaled using the scale tool, or scaled a group, you will often find the scaling percentage is way off, and X and Y are not equal, even though they should be. Entering the desired values in either X or Y will produce bizarre results. Using upand down arrows to adjust scaling will similarly wobble your mind.

    The solution to this is to select "reset scaling to 100%" in the Transfprm palette. This, too, is a bizarre name for the feature, since it does not reset scaling to 100%, but fixes the strange behaviour I have mentioned. The graphic will not change size.

    This was a major hastle for me when using the beta for InDesign 4 (AKA InDesign CS). Does anyone know it this has been fixed?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    and had always worked for me until a couple of days ago

    As far as I know, that has never been the behaviour for me. I have always had to direct select the image to view the scale.

    I also don't recognize the behaviour Scott is talking about. I have never had images give me an incorrect scale relative to the source. On the other hand, I almost never group things in ID, wouldn't be inclined to group images and text, and even less inclined to scale such a group. I remember a while back experimenting with some of the things Scott tried to explain and came across some strange behaviour, but since those things never come up in my regular work flow I didn't pursue it. (Why look for ways to make things go y?)
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest