Professional Web Applications Themes

Image Size - Macromedia Fireworks

Hello, I have an image that I am trying to reduce. The original image size is 720 x 516. I am trying to reduce it to about 30 x 22 (just make it smaller). I find when I reduce the size the image quality is also drastically reduced. I have posted the image onto a website to give you an idea of what it looks like. The image will eventually be used on a label for products sold in Europe. So the quality needs to be VERY good. If anyone could please help I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. ...

  1. #1

    Default Image Size

    Hello,
    I have an image that I am trying to reduce. The original image size is 720 x 516. I am trying to reduce it to about 30 x 22 (just make it smaller). I find when I reduce the size the image quality is also drastically reduced. I have posted the image onto a website to give you an idea of what it looks like. The image will eventually be used on a label for products sold in Europe. So the quality needs to be VERY good. If anyone could please help I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    http://www.scytek.com/ce.htm

    PS. One more thing, I got this image from a file download from the European CE Mark website. They do not provide smaller versions of this graphic... or at least that I can find. Thanks

    Ry@nn Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Image Size

    Normally you would resize in steps and apply an unsharp mask in between
    jumps but kind of a large jump.

    Use a TrueType Font that supports the CE mark. That way you can make it to
    whatever size suits you needs.

    Two commercial FontPacks that support the CE mark:

    http://www.cetest.nl/cettf.htm $15.00
    http://www.cetest.nl/medical-symbol-font.htm $19.90 (additional medical
    symbols).

    Free Font with a CE mark can be found at:
    http://www.zdnetindia.com/downloads/info/907275.html

    Within your size requirements, the last font would look like the attachment.

    Hope that helps.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    "Rynn" <com> wrote in message
    x 516. I am trying to reduce it to about 30 x 22 (just make it smaller). I
    find when I reduce the size the image quality is also drastically reduced. I
    have posted the image onto a website to give you an idea of what it looks
    like. The image will eventually be used on a label for products sold in
    Europe. So the quality needs to be VERY good. If anyone could please help I
    would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    European CE Mark website. They do not provide smaller versions of this
    graphic... or at least that I can find. Thanks

    Sam Guest

  4. #4

    or trace it with the pen tool in fireworks and then you can resize it as
    vectors and it will be perfectly smooth and clear for export then.
    dave
    "Sam Poikail" <com> wrote in message
    with [/ref]
    720

    > European CE Mark website. They do not provide smaller versions of this
    > graphic... or at least that I can find. Thanks
    >

    >[/ref]

    David Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you, Sam. I downloaded the font per your recommendation. It works perfectly. Better than I imagined. Thank you very much.
    Ryan

    Ry@nn Guest

  6. #6

    oh or download the font then :)
    dave
    "David Prescott" <fi> wrote in message
    > with [/ref]
    > 720 [/ref]
    I [/ref]
    reduced. [/ref]
    looks [/ref]
    help
    > > European CE Mark website. They do not provide smaller versions of this
    > > graphic... or at least that I can find. Thanks
    > >

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    David Guest

  7. #7

    "David Prescott" <fi> wrote in message

    'Fraid I'm just plain lazy about the mundane... hopefully it doesn't ruffle
    too many feathers or cause excessive swooning ;o)

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Sam Guest

  8. #8

    i replied before the font post came up - or i just didn't notice it. anyway
    no feathers ruffled, although there was nearly some swooning...

    > 'Fraid I'm just plain lazy about the mundane... hopefully it doesn't[/ref]
    ruffle

    David Guest

  9. #9

    "Rynn" com wrote:

    If it is going to be printed, it's best to do it in Macromedia Freehand
    instead of Fireworks. You'll be able to trace it easily in Freehand,
    converting it to vectors that can be resized at will with no loss of
    quality.

    As for the image itself, it would be easy enough to reproduce by drawing
    a circle, cutting it in half, and then adding a rectangle to the middle.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  10. #10

    Ok guys, the font thing worked really well. I do need to solve the problem of resizing the image. I have about 5 images here that need to be reduced. I have linked one image for your review. I'm trying to reduce it to about 20 x 15. I could not get the vector thing to work, I tried to unsharpen and I do not have FreeHand. Maybe you could walk me through the vector thing. I really appreciate the help. So far my project is moving along. Thanks
    http://www.scytek.com/ce.htm
    Ryan

    Ry@nn Guest