Professional Web Applications Themes

image size - Photography

I take a lot of digital pictures but do not edit much and never print any,I do however send many via the internet and I am restricted to 600 x 800 file size. Does it make sense to take the pictures with the camera around this file size? I ask as most tell me to take the largest size possible but this means I have to reduce them all for e mailing and they seem to lose quality when reduced. thanks remove niljunk to send e-mail....

  1. #1

    Default image size

    I take a lot of digital pictures but do not edit much and never print any,I do
    however send many via the internet and I am restricted to 600 x 800 file size.
    Does it make sense to take the pictures with the camera around this file size?
    I ask as most tell me to take the largest size possible but this means I have
    to reduce them all for e mailing and they seem to lose quality when reduced.
    thanks
    remove niljunk to send e-mail.
    Yamxs850 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: image size

    Yamxs850 <comniljunk> wrote:

    Is it concievable that something interesting might happen when you are
    taking the photo, that you might want to print?
    If it's stuff that may never happen again, then you probably want to
    take at the highest resolution you can, in case you want to print
    it later.
    If you'r taking pictures for ebay auctions, then you can probably
    te any pictures you want, and there is no real reason to take
    pictures bigger than those you want to email.

    --
    http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto:inquisitori.am | Ian Stirling.
    If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion.

  3. #3

    On 19 Jul 2003 11:23:59 GMT, comniljunk (Yamxs850) wrote:

    Go ahead and shoot smaller sizes if that's what you like.

    I know a lot of people that don't know how to crop or edit and they
    like to fuss with their photos as little as possible.
    Another way to get around cropping is to do it in the cameras finder.
    If you think you might like a close up, zoom in and take another shot.

    If this type of shooting doesn't suit you I believe you'll realize
    right it away.

    Larry
    Larry Guest

  4. #4

    In <aol.com> on 19 Jul 2003 11:23:59 GMT,
    comniljunk (Yamxs850) wrote:

    No. You can send whatever size you want. What matters is the size of the
    image file (kilobytes or megabytes), which is a function both of image size
    and the amount of compression. A large file size takes longer to transfer,
    and too large a file size can overwhelm the recipients mailbox. A good rule
    of thumb is to limit total picture transmission to no more than a megabyte.

    Not necessarily -- it depends on the intended purpose -- that size if fine for
    viewing on a monitor, but not for decent printing.

    No more than they would lose if simply shot at the smaller size *unless* the
    resizing software is also over-compressing them.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

  5. #5

    Thanks for the replies guys, you comments have maybe solved my problem and
    `sorry`(should have mentioned this) but I think what is causing the poor images
    is that my file size is a max of 80K this is why I need to work, or reduce the
    file size.So back to the original question am I better to take pics on `lower`
    quality rather than higher quality and then reduce?