Professional Web Applications Themes

Image-with-Metadata Choices? - Mac Programming

Hi all. I need to find a nice, organic (OS X) solution for this. I'd like to have metadata attached to still images, and not lose the ability to use Photoshop & Preview (or whatever) to read/write the images. The metadata won't be very extensive (couple k, maybe), so if someone forgets that an image has got the metadata, it won't be a big pile of wasted space. I've got a few vague ideas. I'll be using PP (or PP-X). Please advise, argue, etc.: * Exif - I don't know anything about this, but it seems suspiciously absent from discussion. ...

  1. #1

    Default Image-with-Metadata Choices?

    Hi all. I need to find a nice, organic (OS X) solution for this. I'd
    like to have metadata attached to still images, and not lose the
    ability to use Photoshop & Preview (or whatever) to read/write the
    images. The metadata won't be very extensive (couple k, maybe), so if
    someone forgets that an image has got the metadata, it won't be a big
    pile of wasted space.

    I've got a few vague ideas. I'll be using PP (or PP-X). Please advise,
    argue, etc.:

    * Exif - I don't know anything about this, but it seems suspiciously
    absent from discussion. QT has support for this

    * Tiff with customs tags - isn't this exactly what Exif is?

    * PDF - Very organic! I don't know PDF or Quartz at all, but I'd expect
    that you could put a bitmap image and some metadata in pretty easily (I
    hope), and still use Pshop & Preview. Maybe?

    * Another Fork - stick a custom fork into an image file. Possible?

    * Some other QT-compatible still format with metadata shoved in - I
    think some of the other QT codecs allow metadata, but I'm picking thru
    the doentation for details.

    Thanks for any opinions!
    Mikey Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Image-with-Metadata Choices?

    In article <140720031117171325%Forgetforget.com>,
    Mikey <Forgetforget.com> wrote:
    > * Some other QT-compatible still format with metadata shoved in - I
    > think some of the other QT codecs allow metadata, but I'm picking thru
    > the doentation for details.
    "qtif" or "QuickTime Image File" is a method that you can use that
    allows an arbitrary codec to be used for compression, and the resulting
    meta-data directly attached to the file. The meta-data would be added
    as an Image Description Extension. Graphics Importers and Exporters are
    used to create and read these files.

    Advantages of this approach:
    - APIs exist for reading/writing both the file and the meta data

    - Any app that handles graphics importers (and just about all image
    manipulation applications do these days) can read the files

    - You can pick a particular form of compression (JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc)
    today and later change your mind with the resulting files remaining
    compatible with both your application and others.
    Tom Dowdy Guest

  3. #3

    In article <dowdy-11C358.08292714072003news.apple.com>, Tom Dowdy
    <dowdyapple.com> wrote:
    > In article <140720031117171325%Forgetforget.com>,
    > Mikey <Forgetforget.com> wrote:
    > > * Some other QT-compatible still format with metadata shoved in - I
    > > think some of the other QT codecs allow metadata, but I'm picking thru
    > > the doentation for details.
    >
    > "qtif" or "QuickTime Image File" is a method that you can use that
    > allows an arbitrary codec to be used for compression, and the resulting
    > meta-data directly attached to the file. The meta-data would be added
    > as an Image Description Extension. Graphics Importers and Exporters are
    > used to create and read these files.
    >
    > Advantages of this approach:
    > - APIs exist for reading/writing both the file and the meta data
    >
    > - Any app that handles graphics importers (and just about all image
    > manipulation applications do these days) can read the files
    >
    > - You can pick a particular form of compression (JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc)
    > today and later change your mind with the resulting files remaining
    > compatible with both your application and others.
    Ooooh-fah! Tom you hit the nail on the head. So basically it's a free
    ticket to add on to the ImageDesc Extn, and I can draw/read from the
    file with any codec I choose? I just put the codec (PNG, say) into the
    ImageDesc, and everything else works fine? I just read the docs and it
    looks perfect. Thanks!

    Mikey Guest