Professional Web Applications Themes

Images - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Sorry to bring this up again but I need a link to explain to me how to store a path of an image for SQL to retreive the image off the host computer and then how to do the select statement in vb.net to tell SQL to bring the image. I am not doing something correct. I am not sure what it is. I created a table called images with a ccolumn called "ID" and a column called "picture". picture is of the image "data type" and ID is of the integer type. But it will not allow me to ...

  1. #1

    Default Images

    Sorry to bring this up again but I need a link to explain to me how to store
    a path of an image for SQL to retreive the image off the host computer and
    then how to do the select statement in vb.net to tell SQL to bring the
    image.

    I am not doing something correct. I am not sure what it is. I created a
    table called images with a ccolumn called "ID" and a column called
    "picture". picture is of the image "data type" and ID is of the integer
    type. But it will not allow me to store the path to the image here so I am
    kind fo stumped from here.

    scorpion53061 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Images

    s> I created a table called images with a column called "ID" and a column
    s> called "picture". picture is of the image "data type" and ID is of the
    s> integer type.

    Image data type is for storing the binary image data itself, not the path to
    the file. To store the path, use string data type. Your application
    retrieves the path from the database, reads the file and then shows the
    image.

    Vadim

    Vadim Guest

  3. #3

    Ok lets say I want to store the path in the field but I want it to take the
    image off the hard drive of where SQL server is running, say D:\My Pictures.
    How do I tell it to go there to get the picture and then deliver it to the
    calling code in a vb.net windows app?

    "Vadim Rapp" <myrealbox.com> wrote in message

    scorpion53061 Guest

  4. #4

    SO how will you tell vb.net windows app to open the path on the SQL Server
    host to retrieve this image? And not to look on the local machine?

    "Vadim Rapp" <nospam.com> wrote in message
    the

    scorpion53061 Guest

  5. #5

    Now you have got me thinking......

    Instead of D:\Kelly\Images]koh10000.jpg it would be

    //server\D$\Kelly\Images\koh1000.jpg

    This should be the value I place in the image path value in the database?
    Is this correct?

    "Vadim Rapp" <nospam.com> wrote in message

    scorpion53061 Guest

  6. #6

    using the $ shares assumes you have aministrative access to the machine.

    "scorpion53061" <com> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    Chris Guest

  7. #7

    If I use ":" instead of "$" will this work?
    I do have administrative rights but naturally I do not want to give that out
    to the whole world.

    "Chris Taylor" <com> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    database?

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    scorpion53061 Guest

  8. #8

    s> If I use ":" instead of "$" will this work?

    how about you try it.

    s> I do have administrative rights but naturally I do not want to give
    s> that out to the whole world.

    then create a share. Since the images are only retrieved, give "whole world"
    read-only access to it. Depends on your application and its users...

    Vadim

    Vadim Guest

  9. #9

    Hi,

    I would suggest that you create a share with readonly access for this task.
    For example, if you create a share 'Images' you could then access it as
    follows

    \\server\Images\koh10000.jpg

    Hope this helps

    Chris Taylor