Professional Web Applications Themes

Images downloading in a browser - Macromedia Dreamweaver

"jkeeler" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote: > I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask the forum... > > 1. Is there a standard on how long it should take for a web page to load on a browser. I am using image swaping and popup menus. I have made the images as small as I can without compromising the look - 1K -4K each. Is there something in Dreamweaver MX that I can use to preload images faster on browsers. My current time is 54 seconds and I still have more pop-up menus to install. > > 2. ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Images downloading in a browser

    "jkeeler" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask the forum...
    >
    > 1. Is there a standard on how long it should take for a web page to load on a browser. I am using image swaping and popup menus. I have made the images as small as I can without compromising the look - 1K -4K each. Is there something in Dreamweaver MX that I can use to preload images faster on browsers. My current time is 54 seconds and I still have more pop-up menus to install.
    >
    > 2. I have used a 750 x 560 pixel table for my first page is this a standard set up. I used to use 600 pixels for tables.

    Don't think so much about the time for a page to be downloaded, since
    it's different on different connection speed. Instead, think about the
    total weight of a page, including images, etc. The target is 40-50Kb,
    that's what your visitors are used to, even if users on slow dial up are
    much more seasoned and patient than users on broadband.
    The size of the page is shown down/right in the main window, including
    images. However, I'm not sure files linked to the page by javascript are
    included in the figure.

    750 pixels width is OK. That'll fit into almost all browser windows. The
    height you see in DW (560px) is more a guide. The page will stretch or
    collapse depending on the content.

    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  2. #2

    jkeeler:

    The target download time for engaging content is 10 seconds. If the full
    page is required for the content to become readable and 'engaging', then the
    page weight for a 10 second download on a 56k dialup is 40-45K (assuming a
    32k achievable throughput on this kind of connection). That weight includes
    the aggregate weight of all code, all images, and all externally linked
    files.

    If your page weight is greater than that, the only ways to make it less
    weighty are to -

    1. Remove images from the page
    2. Make your image dimensions smaller
    3. Optimize your images to a lower quality
    4. Optimize your code

    There is no way to put 6 pounds of page into a 3 pound bag.

    The good news is that once your images and externally linked files have been
    cached, they will be reused from the local browser cache and not fetched
    from the server.
    > 2. I have used a 750 x 560 pixel table for my first page is this a
    standard set up. I used to use 600 pixels for tables.

    There is no standard set up. See here for more info -
    [url]http://www.thepattysite.com/window_sizes1.cfm[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "jkeeler" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask the forum...
    >
    > 1. Is there a standard on how long it should take for a web page to load
    on a browser. I am using image swaping and popup menus. I have made the
    images as small as I can without compromising the look - 1K -4K each. Is
    there something in Dreamweaver MX that I can use to preload images faster on
    browsers. My current time is 54 seconds and I still have more pop-up menus
    to install.

    > 2. I have used a 750 x 560 pixel table for my first page is this a
    standard set up. I used to use 600 pixels for tables.

    > Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Joanne

    Murray *TMM* Guest