Professional Web Applications Themes

Images spanning a two-page spread - Adobe Indesign Windows

Does anyone have any experience with laying out a book with images that span a two page spread? Aside from the fact that the center of the picture is lost in a seam, how did it turn out? Did your printer have any problems with two bleeds at the gutter? Did the two halves line up correctly? Clark...

  1. #1

    Default Images spanning a two-page spread

    Does anyone have any experience with laying out a book with images that span a two page spread? Aside from the fact that the center of the picture is lost in a seam, how did it turn out? Did your printer have any problems with two bleeds at the gutter? Did the two halves line up correctly?
    Clark
    Clark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Images spanning a two-page spread

    Clark,

    I have done this many times. A good printer will have no problems with it. When well printed, the two halves line up perfectly. No problems with bleed: imposition software takes care of that.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I'll second that. No problems with exported PDFs that way, either.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Basic rule is to crop and place Your picture in a way that nothing important (faces etc) will be lost in between two pages.

    Claudius
    claudius@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Be aware that if you shop for printing based solely on price, this is one area where things can go terribly wrong. An example is getting web printing done by a company that normally prints newspapers. They don't generally face the alignment issue and may not be as demanding as you would like.

    This is not to say that there are not some newspaper printers who can't do this, but I suspect there are few of them at the low end of the quote range.

    Don
    Don_McCahill@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Does anyone have any experience with laying out a book with images that
    span a two page spread? Aside from the fact that the center of the picture
    is lost in a seam, how did it turn out? Did your printer have any problems
    with two bleeds at the gutter? Did the two halves line up correctly?

    As it happens I'm reformatting a few booklet layouts myself and have been thinking about placing some artwork that would span a 2 pg. spread. Had pretty much the same question myself.

    Don's caution re. the print shop you do business with is noted. I've sent some short run jobs to www.psprint.com (postcards, letterhead, brochures, etc.) with good results and I see they also do short run booklets.

    I would appreciate hearing what other print companies out there that do relatively short-run (500-5,000) others have used and been satisfied with?
    Roger_Meeker@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    If you bind your book using the Otabind or equivalent layflat method, then the picture will look almost like a single sheet when the book is opened. If you perfect bind it much of the center of the picture will not be very useful or visible. Layflat binding is not really more expensive than perfect binding. One of the main companies that does Otabind is Webcom <http://www.webcomlink.com/tech/bind.htm>
    Ben Guest

  8. #8

    One of the main companies that does Otabind is Webcom <http://www.webcomlink.com/tech/bind.htm>

    Thanks for link, Ben.