Professional Web Applications Themes

Impact of MS Office 2003 on Mac Office compatibility - Mac Applications & Software

I read that there are some rather specific functions in MS Office 2003 on the PC. Anyone has a summary of newer functions and compatibility issues with our Mac version of Office?...

  1. #1

    Default Impact of MS Office 2003 on Mac Office compatibility

    I read that there are some rather specific functions in MS Office 2003
    on the PC. Anyone has a summary of newer functions and compatibility
    issues with our Mac version of Office?
    Whytoi Guest

  2. #2

    In article <221020031255415097%com>,
    Whytoi <com> wrote:

    Notice that the ads for Microsoft Office v.X promise "Seamless file
    compatibility" (I quote from the cover of MacConnection). And

    "Compatibility with other Office versions
    Share files freely. Officev.X uses the same file format as OfficeXP,
    Office2000, and Office97 on the Windows platform, as well as
    Office2001 for Mac and Office98 Macintosh Edition." (quoted from the
    MS Mactopic web site)

    Someone should sue them based on the well noted graphics and unicode
    character problems. I'm sure that the new PC version won't help matters.

    --
    Jim Meiss
    <http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>

  3. #3

    In article <221020031255415097%com>,
    Whytoi <com> wrote:

    Microsoft compares the new version with their old Windows versions at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/compare.mspx?

    It deliberately makes the old versions look inadequate, bizarre given
    how feature-bloated they were. I suspect the latest Mac version
    resembles the later Windows ones.

    Corporations that dislike seeing leaks of information they'd rather hide
    (i.e. that behave like Microsoft), have gotten Microsoft to add Digital
    Rights Management features to Office. That means only the authorized
    will be able to open some doents--with the system that decides
    managed by Microsoft servers. (I've heard that some doents will even
    self-destruct after a certain length of time--a feature no doubt much
    desired by Microsoft lawyers.) Mac users won't be able to access those
    features and in the real world they're likely to cause numerous
    headaches of those who have to support these systems.

    There are also a slew of new joint editing features that aren't likely
    to be supported by Mac Office until the next version. I've done enough
    working with those features in earlier versions to acquire a hatred of
    them.

    All in all, this version is likely to either make or break Office's
    market dominance. If they can get enough users to adopt it, then
    everyone else will be dragged along and all the alternatives (i.e.
    OpenOffice) will become much less viable since it will be much harder
    for the to duplicate these features. On the other hand, if users decide
    that older version are all they need, Microsoft's ability to dominate
    may begin to weaken and software like OpenOffice get a chance to grow
    their marketshare.

    --MP
    blackhole33@foxinternet.net Guest

  4. #4

    In article <221020031255415097%com>,
    Whytoi <com> wrote:

    The problem arises with the new 'security' features. Authors of
    doents will be able to restrict who reads, prints, copies, etc. their
    creation. Only Office 2003 users will be able to read these doents.
    Older versions of Office for Windows will also have the problem.
    Microsoft is creating a plug-in for Internet Explorer 6 that will allow
    Windows users to access these doents. For now there is no mention of
    how Mac Office users will access these restricted files. Microsoft does
    admit that they are aware of the problem for Mac users. We all know what
    THAT means.
    Lawrence Guest

  5. #5

    In article <news.prodigy.com>,
    Lawrence Krupp <com> wrote:

    > The problem arises with the new 'security' features. Authors of
    > doents will be able to restrict who reads, prints, copies, etc. their
    > creation. Only Office 2003 users will be able to read these doents.
    > Older versions of Office for Windows will also have the problem.
    > Microsoft is creating a plug-in for Internet Explorer 6 that will allow
    > Windows users to access these doents. For now there is no mention of
    > how Mac Office users will access these restricted files. Microsoft does
    > admit that they are aware of the problem for Mac users. We all know what
    > THAT means.[/ref]

    Does Office 2003 force them to use these security features or can
    they choose not to? Can they still do things like save doents as RTF?
    For me, it's critical to be able to read Word doents from
    Windows users and to use the "track changes" features. These are not the
    kind of doents that need to be protected with high security.

    --
    d49ot
    d49ot Guest

  6. Moderated Post