Professional Web Applications Themes

Import CSV Data to Access DB - ASP Database

Hi I am not even sure if this is possible, maybe somebody can help. I am making a site for a car dealer, they have some software that they use to store all information about their vehicles. The software has the ability to export the information to a csv file, Is it possible to make an asp page that you could select the csv file that is exported by teh spftware and upload it to the server, where it gets imported to the database. Hope this is possible, anone with ideas on how I could accomplish this? Thanks Drew...

  1. #1

    Default Import CSV Data to Access DB

    Hi

    I am not even sure if this is possible, maybe somebody can help.

    I am making a site for a car dealer, they have some software that they use
    to store all information about their vehicles.
    The software has the ability to export the information to a csv file, Is it
    possible to make an asp page that you could select the csv file that is
    exported by teh spftware and upload it to the server, where it gets imported
    to the database.

    Hope this is possible, anone with ideas on how I could accomplish this?

    Thanks

    Drew

    Drew Kennelly Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Import CSV Data to Access DB

    "Drew Kennelly" wrote in message news:glfAc.557$LT3.24710news.xtra.co.nz...
    : I am making a site for a car dealer, they have some software that they use
    : to store all information about their vehicles.
    : The software has the ability to export the information to a csv file, Is
    it
    : possible to make an asp page that you could select the csv file that is
    : exported by teh spftware and upload it to the server, where it gets
    imported
    : to the database.

    Drew...

    If the software exports the data to a file, will this be a one-time event or
    daily, weekly, etc.?
    Should the upload to the web server be via FTP or ASP?
    You could use FSO to read the CSV file, p it and insert it into the DB.

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */

    Roland Hall Guest

  3. #3

    They will be exporting the file on average once a week, depending on if
    their stock changes much, also when they export it, it is automatically
    uploaded via ftp to a server/folder they specify.

    Where could I find how to do this with FSO? is this the best method?
    Thanks

    Drew

  4. #4

    :
    : Where could I find how to do this with FSO? is this the best method?
    : Thanks

    There is a link in my tag to the WSH 5.6 Docs. Just look up
    FileSystemObject.

    You use FSO to access the file and read it into an array, p it and
    insert it into your database. If you're familiar with ADO, then this should
    be a walk in the park for you.