Professional Web Applications Themes

imported Images do not export clearly - Macromedia Freehand

Hi All! I am trying my absolut hardest to get this brochore to print out right. here's what im doing... I am opening pictures and logo's and editing them in Fireworks with the a 300dpi Resolution. I am designing the brochore in Freehand in a 300dpi Resolution. I am Importing those images into Freehand and placing them where they need to Go around the text. I export the file as a .tif at 300dpi and having it opened in Fireworks to check for clarity. viewing the file at 100% in Fireworks, the Brochores text look perfect and crisp! BUT the ...

  1. #1

    Default imported Images do not export clearly

    Hi All! I am trying my absolut hardest to get this brochore to print out right.
    here's what im doing... I am opening pictures and logo's and editing them in
    Fireworks with the a 300dpi Resolution. I am designing the brochore in Freehand
    in a 300dpi Resolution. I am Importing those images into Freehand and placing
    them where they need to Go around the text. I export the file as a .tif at
    300dpi and having it opened in Fireworks to check for clarity. viewing the
    file at 100% in Fireworks, the Brochores text look perfect and crisp! BUT
    the images that i have imported look pixelated and bla... meaning not perfect
    enough for printing! What in the world am i doing wrong. The Brochore looks
    great in Freehand, but exported it doesn't cut it. Thank-you for your help. I
    NEED ALL I CAN GET! Any Tips at all, i am new to the printing world!

    phence Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: imported Images do not export clearly

    Which version of FH are you using?

    Raster formats such as TIFF are not suitable for small body text in a
    brochure. How will the brochure be printed?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    I have Free Hand MX, my files save as .FH11
    The Brochore will be sent to a professional printer...
    Kinkos, or another local Printer.
    phence Guest

  4. #4

    I had a hard time following your description. If you are exporting the
    FH file as a tiff and looking at that, don't. You should print your file
    to a PostScript printer to check it. A black and white laser is
    customary to check text and layout. Do a color laser if you can. When
    you give it to a commercial printer, they should be able to give you an
    Iris or other digital print to check color. I wouldn't necessarily call
    Kinkos a professional printer.

    dp

    D. Guest

  5. #5

    If you enlarge the imported images at all in FH then you are reducing
    the 300 dpi resolution. i.e. if you scale a 300 dpi image by 200% you
    now have a 150 dpi image.

    You don't want to output your brochure to TIFF for final printing, you
    are much better off exporting to "Quark EPS" or just giving the printer
    your FH file if they are willing.

    Are the logos you are opening in FW starting out as TIFFs or other
    raster formats? If they are a vector format such as a vector EPS or
    Illustrator or FreeHand then they should be directly imported into FH
    and used that way so they retain the vector quality.

    Rich

    Rich Guest

  6. #6

    Thank-you, Everything has been a great help so far. The logo's i am importing
    are .tif files and the pictures are .png files. So the images i am importing
    are Raster...? All i need is this brochore to be printed so that it looks
    proffessional. When Viewing the file in Freehand everything looks great at
    100%. If i export the file as and Encapsulated PostScript (.eps) is it going to
    look just how it does in FreeHand? And What is the difference between
    Encapsulated PostScript, and DCS2 EPS, and QuarkXpress EPS... etc. ? For right
    now because i need this brochore for this week end, i am going to send it to
    kinkos to have it printed. I don't know how they will print it... But in the
    future i plan to take it to a professional printer. Thank-you

    phence Guest

  7. #7

    Phence,

    How does your doent look in FH at 400% magnification?

    Are you using Raster Effects? I would strongly advise you not to use it on
    text, because it will rasterize (pixelate) text. Don't use it to put drop
    shadows directly on images, because FH will re-rasterize the image.

    If you use Raster Effects on graphic elements, be prepared for unpleasant
    color surprises. Set:
    File > Doent Settings > Raster Effects settings to 300 ppi.

    Professional print designers don't become professionals in one weekend.
    Before taking on such a project, you really should take the time to educate
    yourself on color spaces, Postscript requirements and file formats. There's
    no way anyone can teach you all this in a forum post or two.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  8. #8

    phence wrote:

    So what are the specs on the TIFF and PNG files ... DPI and dimensions?
    Are you scaling them up in your Freehand file?

    And, no, what you see on the screen is not what you'll get when printed
    -- using an EPS file -- just because of the nature and difference of the
    monitor and printed material.
    Wes Guest

  9. #9

    I created the logo and edited the pictures in Fireworks to the exact specs that
    they needed to be in the brochore in Freehand. I do not touch the imported
    files except for positioning. Everything is created in Fireworks at 300 dpi,
    then exported to .tif file and imported to Freehand where they are simply
    positioned where they are needed. Thanks for the tips. To me it seems strange
    that it is so hard because i have seen people with relatively no expeience,
    draw up a brochore in Microsoft Publisher and send it to the printer and come
    out with a great looking brochore... Freehand is the only software i have
    that claims to be able to create professional printable material. At 400% in
    Freehand all text Looks beautiful, but the imports look a little cloudy, but
    not pixelated... What else can i do? Thank-you!

    phence Guest

  10. #10

    You can NOT use the monitor image as a good representation of what will
    be printed. I suggest you give Kinko's the FH file and get a test print
    made. The native FH file is preferrable to an EPS file. You should check
    to be sure they can handle the version of FH that you use. If they have
    an earlier version, you can Export your file to the earlier version.
    Remember, you will need to give them all the placed images too. It would
    be best if you made a separate file and converted the text to paths.
    Otherwise, you have to give them the fonts too.

    If all is well on the test then all is well. If there is something
    wrong, let us know and we will try to help you correct it.

    dp

    D. Guest

  11. #11

    If you're going to print to a 4-color printing press, make sure all your
    ..TIF
    files are CMYK before dropping them into Freehand. The file you give to
    a printer should be an .EPS file that you export from Freehand.
    Fireworks is more geared for website graphics. You may
    want to use Photoshop for future print work.

    "phence" <com> wrote in message

    Glenn Guest