Professional Web Applications Themes

Importing drop down menus from FW craziness - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I created my rather snazzy looking drop-down menu in Fireworks and exported the html. Now when I insert it into Dreamweaver, it works fine. Encouraged by this great success, I went so far as to create a second menu, export it and insert it. However, upon doing this, the sections from the drop-down menu override the previously inserted one, so now they both have the same submenus! This is obviously quite wrong. Am I missing something? I've been trying to fix it for days but to no avail. To prove I'm actually tellingthe truth about this, you can view the ...

  1. #1

    Default Importing drop down menus from FW craziness

    I created my rather snazzy looking drop-down menu in Fireworks and exported the html. Now when I insert it into Dreamweaver, it works fine.

    Encouraged by this great success, I went so far as to create a second menu, export it and insert it. However, upon doing this, the sections from the drop-down menu override the previously inserted one, so now they both have the same submenus!

    This is obviously quite wrong. Am I missing something? I've been trying to fix it for days but to no avail. To prove I'm actually tellingthe truth about this, you can view the offending page http://www.sollars.co.uk/ink/, with any luck.

    I'd appreciatte any help quite a bit, as it would probably keep me in full time employment.

    And sorry about the horrible colours on the drop-downs, I just had to throw em back together quickly.

    Rob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Importing drop down menus from FW craziness

    Are you using unique ID's for the submenus?

    Martha Graham
    DMXzone.com

    "Rob Sollars" <com> schreef in bericht
    exported the html. Now when I insert it into Dreamweaver, it works fine.
    menu, export it and insert it. However, upon doing this, the sections from
    the drop-down menu override the previously inserted one, so now they both
    have the same submenus!
    to fix it for days but to no avail. To prove I'm actually tellingthe truth
    about this, you can view the offending page http://www.sollars.co.uk/ink/,
    with any luck.
    time employment.
    throw em back together quickly.

    Martha Guest

  3. #3

    I believe so. The images are named seperately, if that's what you mean by ID's...

    Rob Guest

  4. #4

    Are the menus in layers? Then the layers need to have unique id's too.

    Martha Graham
    DMXzone.com
    "Rob Sollars" <com> schreef in bericht
    ID's...

    Martha Guest

  5. #5

    Rob--

    The thing you're missing is that all of the menus need to be in a single FW
    doent. While there are ways to re-write the code so that you can insert
    two separate files into the page the penalty you'll pay in extra time, and
    especially extra page weight, doesn't make it worth it. Just incorporate all
    the menus in one FW doent.

    --
    Kim Cavanaugh, author
    Beginner's Guides to Dreamweaver and Fireworks
    "Rob Sollars" <com> wrote in message
    exported the html. Now when I insert it into Dreamweaver, it works fine.
    menu, export it and insert it. However, upon doing this, the sections from
    the drop-down menu override the previously inserted one, so now they both
    have the same submenus!
    to fix it for days but to no avail. To prove I'm actually tellingthe truth
    about this, you can view the offending page http://www.sollars.co.uk/ink/,
    with any luck.
    time employment.
    throw em back together quickly.

    Kim Guest

  6. #6

    That makes perfect sense, I see where I was going wrong now. Thanks a lot, you've been a huge help whilst trying to overcome my complete incompetence. I'll try what you suggested as soon as possible and tell you how it goes.

    Thanks!

    Rob Guest

  7. #7

    Rob:

    Please make sure you investigate the downsides of using these "snazzy" but
    very flawed menus before making a deep commitment to them.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    lot, you've been a huge help whilst trying to overcome my complete
    incompetence. I'll try what you suggested as soon as possible and tell you
    how it goes.

    Murray Guest

  8. #8

    All sorted, thanks very much for everyone's help.

    http://www.sollars.co.uk/ink.

    Rob Guest