Professional Web Applications Themes

Importing Microsoft Publisher files - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi. I'm trying out InDesign CS and can't figure out how to import/open Microsoft Publisher files. Is there a way to import them into InDesign CS? Thank you. Ed...

  1. #1

    Default Importing Microsoft Publisher files

    Noisy_Tree@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Importing Microsoft Publisher files

    I'm trying out InDesign CS and can't figure out how to import/open Microsoft
    Publisher files. Is there a way to import them into InDesign CS?

    There's no way to directly import them as editible files. You can export the text, then rebuild the whole thing from scratch in Indesign, using a PDF of hte Punisher files as a template.

    Working in MS Punisher is never a good idea, masochism aside. The general concessus here is that it's a complete teardown.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Ouch!

    I can't import! Yikes.

    Have pity on me, I'm a about to embark on a painful experience!

  4. #4

    Bye the way...thank you for answering my question. :-)
    Noisy_Tree@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    What version are the PUB files? Pagemaker has a converter for Pub 2000
    files or earlier. It's not great but it does work sometimes. You could
    then save as PMD and then open that in InDesign.

    If you don't have Pagemaker you can download a fully functional 30 day
    trial. That should give you enough time to convert your files.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  6. #6

    Perhaps the full retail version of InDesign might help Mr. Tree.

    He indicates that he is using a pirated beta in another thread - - - which seems really silly when you can download a final retail version tryout from adobe.com for full use for 30 days.

    While this may not do anything more for the import of Publisher, it would at least make him legal.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    "Pagemaker has a converter for Pub 2000 files or earlier."

    Is there a way to import them into InDesign CS if you have the PM Plugin pack? I thought there was, but now I'm not seeing it.

    tye
    Thomas_Ellefson@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    yes.... 9 times out of 10 you'll be better off rebuilding the files.
    Scott_K.@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    <Thomas_Ellefsonadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > "Pagemaker has a converter for Pub 2000 files or earlier."
    >
    > Is there a way to import them into InDesign CS if you have the PM Plugin
    pack? I thought there was, but now I'm not seeing it.

    > tye
    Indesign opens Pagemaker files, even without the plug-in (File -> Open, and
    select file type to show PM file names). The converter works pretty well on
    individual pages, but there are things it doesn't do well, so I always work
    from a hard copy of the file in addition to the converted file. The
    converter ships with Pagemaker; I don't think one ships with the PM plug-in,
    but maybe I just missed it. It is a stand-alone program, not part of the
    core function. It also converts Quark Xpress up to 4.x.

    Peggy

    Peggy_Coquet@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    ok, I guess I should have said "and if so, how?"

    Note that I'm wanting to import an MS Publisher file, not pagemaker. I have the pagemaker plugin, tho.

  11. #11

    You need Pagemaker.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  12. #12

    You need Pagemaker.

    And even then prepare to be underwhelmed by the quality of the conversion.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Amen.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  14. #14

    Your best bet is to try saving publisher as a CMYK postcript, then
    distilling, and bringing in the PDF into Indesign, you will not be able to
    modify them, but it will work, if you needed multiple pages, or saved as
    ..eps for a postscript imagsetter. Good Luck!

    <Thomas_Ellefsonadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > "Pagemaker has a converter for Pub 2000 files or earlier."
    >
    > Is there a way to import them into InDesign CS if you have the PM Plugin
    pack? I thought there was, but now I'm not seeing it.

    > tye

    Hebnix Guest

  15. Moderated Post

    Cool Re: Importing Microsoft Publisher files

    Removed by Administrator
    Unregistered Guest
    Moderated Post