Professional Web Applications Themes

Importing PDFs into FHMX - Macromedia Freehand

I have a doent with mixed roman, cyrillic and asian languages, so I can't use a single native language version of Freehand to format text. I want to format the text in another program, create a pdf, and import it into Freehand MX. Is it possible to import text (from a pdf or other source) as outlines, to just create an image of the text instead of an editable textbox? Photoshop is able to rasterize a pdf that contains a font it doesn't support. Is Freehand similarly be able to treat the text as a shape rather than as a ...

  1. #1

    Default Importing PDFs into FHMX

    I have a doent with mixed roman, cyrillic and asian languages, so I can't use a single native language version of Freehand to format text. I want to format the text in another program, create a pdf, and import it into Freehand MX.

    Is it possible to import text (from a pdf or other source) as outlines, to just create an image of the text instead of an editable textbox? Photoshop is able to rasterize a pdf that contains a font it doesn't support. Is Freehand similarly be able to treat the text as a shape rather than as a textbox?

    p8c webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Importing PDFs into FHMX

    Just tested here with a PDF with an embedded font. It comes into FHMX as
    blank. FH doesn't request the missing font.

    What is the 'other program' you want to use? Do you have localized versions
    of FH where you could convert the foreign font text to outlines?

    Another option would be to convert to outlines in Illustrator. Save from
    Illustrator as AI 9 or earlier.

    Judy Arndt

    p8c wrote:
    > I have a doent with mixed roman, cyrillic and asian languages, so I can't
    > use a single native language version of Freehand to format text. I want to
    > format the text in another program, create a pdf, and import it into Freehand
    > MX.
    >
    > Is it possible to import text (from a pdf or other source) as outlines, to
    > just create an image of the text instead of an editable textbox? Photoshop is
    > able to rasterize a pdf that contains a font it doesn't support. Is Freehand
    > similarly be able to treat the text as a shape rather than as a textbox?

    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    I get the same blank doent when opening into Illustrator. I'm on a Mac, and right now the only program I have successfully editing Japanese, Hungarian, Polish and Czech is AppleWorks. I'm getting a language kit for MS Word this weekend, so I'll be able to edit there too. What I want is to be able to format in these programs and get the doents into Freehand without having FH try to interpret the text.

    Using a native version of FH to convert to outlines is a thought.

    Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate the help.

    p8c webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest