Professional Web Applications Themes

Importing Tiff images - Macromedia Freehand

This world map project is giving me gray hair. Here is my latest problem. I have made an image in Photoshop, the shape of it is much like a manilla folder with the tab and rounded corners. My problem is when I export it as a TIFF I get the white background where it is supposed to be transparent. And when I import this into my Freehand doent it looks like crap because of the white background. I thought that a TIFF file would keep the transparency. I know there is a way around this, and I'm pretty sure I've ...

  1. #1

    Default Importing Tiff images

    This world map project is giving me gray hair. Here is my latest problem. I
    have made an image in Photoshop, the shape of it is much like a manilla folder
    with the tab and rounded corners. My problem is when I export it as a TIFF I
    get the white background where it is supposed to be transparent. And when I
    import this into my Freehand doent it looks like crap because of the white
    background. I thought that a TIFF file would keep the transparency. I know
    there is a way around this, and I'm pretty sure I've done it before, but I
    cannot for the life of me figure this out. Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    -Jeff

    P.S. Judy, thanks for the help with the bleeds.

    Finntastic Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Importing Tiff images

    1) Why make a simple graphic like this in PS when you can make it in FH?
    2) If you need to, for some reason, you have two choices
    A) Create a clipping path in PS
    B) Create a clipping path in FH (trace the shape of the folder with
    the pen tool, making a closed path, then cut the folder and paste inside
    the path.

    Rich

    Finntastic wrote:
    > This world map project is giving me gray hair. Here is my latest problem. I
    > have made an image in Photoshop, the shape of it is much like a manilla folder
    > with the tab and rounded corners. My problem is when I export it as a TIFF I
    > get the white background where it is supposed to be transparent. And when I
    > import this into my Freehand doent it looks like crap because of the white
    > background. I thought that a TIFF file would keep the transparency. I know
    > there is a way around this, and I'm pretty sure I've done it before, but I
    > cannot for the life of me figure this out. Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > -Jeff
    >
    > P.S. Judy, thanks for the help with the bleeds.

    Rich Hudgins Guest

  3. #3

    Finntastic wrote:
    > This world map project is giving me gray hair. Here is my latest problem. I
    > have made an image in Photoshop, the shape of it is much like a manilla folder
    > with the tab and rounded corners. My problem is when I export it as a TIFF I
    > get the white background where it is supposed to be transparent. And when I
    > import this into my Freehand doent it looks like crap because of the white
    > background. I thought that a TIFF file would keep the transparency. I know
    > there is a way around this, and I'm pretty sure I've done it before, but I
    > cannot for the life of me figure this out. Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > -Jeff
    >
    > P.S. Judy, thanks for the help with the bleeds.

    A bitmap like that will have a white background unless you give it a
    clipping path or an alpha channel. If it is a sharp edged image then a
    clipping path would probably work fine. If there is any kind of blurring
    or shadow then an alpha channel would probably work better. Or you could
    draw the shape in Freehand and paste the bitmap inside that shape to
    trim out the white.
    Wes Rand Guest

  4. #4

    The reason I'm making this in Photoshop is because it has high resolution
    pictures on it. Kind of a collage of images and company logos. I'll try the
    pasting inside method you suggested. Sounds like a winner. Thanks.

    Finntastic Guest

  5. #5

    Hi

    I dont have the answer, but i to remember being able to do this. in freehand
    10 the tranparency check box is always greyed out, and it doesnt seem to
    matter what different combination of things i do , it doesnt become active!! I
    was wondering if u have since found out how to do this as it is really annoying
    me now!!

    Cheers
    scubacuba

    scubacuba Guest

  6. #6

    For the transparency checkbox to work, the image _format_ must be either a
    1-bit (black and white) or a Grayscale TIFF. This kind of transparency does
    not work with RGB or CMYK format TIFFs.

    Judy Arndt

    scubacuba wrote:
    > I dont have the answer, but i to remember being able to do this. in freehand
    > 10 the tranparency check box is always greyed out, and it doesnt seem to
    > matter what different combination of things i do , it doesnt become active!!
    Judy Arndt Guest

  7. #7

    It is also worth noting that a grayscale image will effectively become a
    1-Bit bitmap (50% threshold) when transparency is applied.

    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2500+/512M

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:58:22 -0600, Judy Arndt <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote:
    > For the transparency checkbox to work, the image _format_ must be either
    > 1-bit (black and white) or a Grayscale TIFF. This kind of transparency
    > does
    > not work with RGB or CMYK format TIFFs.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >

    > scubacuba wrote:
    >> I dont have the answer, but i to remember being able to do this. in
    >> freehand
    >> 10 the tranparency check box is always greyed out, and it doesnt seem
    >> matter what different combination of things i do , it doesnt become
    >> active!!

    Bill Guest