Professional Web Applications Themes

In Design book won't export bleeds to pdf - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I'm using CS 1 and have several In Design doents with facing pages (bleeds top bottom outside edge) compiled into a book. When I export to pdf from book, I can't export the bleeds. Book function doesn't recognize composite doent as having facing pages (bleed options left/right not inside/outside). If I check "use doent bleed settings" it export a pdf without bleeds. Thanks Dave...

  1. #1

    Default In Design book won't export bleeds to pdf

    Dave_Pegg@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: In Design book won't export bleeds to pdf

    Sounds to me like your doent does not have bleed set. If you hit doent setup and click the more info panel, does it say you have any bleed?
    Tom_L@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Tom,
    This seems to have sorted it. Good advice. It wasn't immediately apparent I had to (and could) define the doent set up and bleeds in the book in addition to defining them for each individual doent.

  4. #4

    Dave

    Didn't think you had to actually, you sure it wasn't just missing on one of the docs?

    Tom
    Tom_L@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I'm sure. Each individual doent ouputs to pdf with bleeds just fine.
    Dave_Pegg@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Tom,
    Scratch that. It hasn't worked. Even when I define the doent setup for the In Design book, it won't let me output as a facing page doent (only bleed options are left right, not inside outside).
    Maybe its something that's fixed for CS2. But it doesn't seem to work for CS 1.

    I'm gonna go ahead output my book as separate pdf doents, one for each chapter with correct bleeds and let my printer deal with it.

  7. #7

    But Dave, if you export as facing pages (ie, spreads) there can only be bleed on the laft, right, bottom and top. There are no "inside" and "outside".

    Am I missing what you are trying to do?

    Tom
    Tom_L@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Tom,
    I am exporting a book for commercial printing. Odd numbered pages are on right of spread and must have bleed on right (outside). Even number pages mush have bleed on left edge (also outside).
    If you set up an In Design doent as facing pages, you can output as single page PDF with correct inside outside bleeds. I can't find a way to make the book function do this.

    You can't output the doent as spreads because of the way the pages are compiled and folded to make a readable book (in "signatures" of 8 or 16 pages) by a printer.
    Dave_Pegg@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Pages need to be exported as single pages the printer will impose them.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Still doesn't answer my original question:
    The printer still needs the bleeds. I can''t create a pdf of the whole book with inside/outside bleeds from my In Design book (the In Design book compiles 6 different In Design doents).
    Dave_Pegg@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Dave,

    I think you need to go to "File > Doent Setup..." with the Book palette in the foreground, and turn on "Facing Pages" there. As far as I can tell, that's what controls whether the export for the book deals with "Inside" and "outside" or "left" and "right, regardless of the individual doent setups."

    Does that do it for you?
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Thanks Pete,
    Good suggestion. I already tried that and the book export to pdf option still gives me left/right (not inside outside) and checking "use doent bleed settings" give me no bleed at all.
    It's no big deal. I sent my book to the printer as several pdfs, one for each doent within the book.
    Maybe I need to set up the In Design book dimensions and bleeds before I pull in the doents into the book pane next time -- I dunno if this might solve it but its about the only thing I can think of to try to do for the next big book project.
    Dave_Pegg@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Dave

    I followed this discussion with only one eye but curiosity overcame and I did a short test.

    If I set up the bleed in the individual InDesign files correctly (in this case: no inner bleed) and export the book with the option "doent bleed setting" active, I don't need to care if the greyed out option reads "left" or "inner".
    The export uses the settings of the first doent in the list.
    Interestingly when exporting the entire book no chapter can have different bleed settings than the others. Sort of makes sense I guess.

    Just my 2cent in the discussion.
    Gerald
    Gerald_Singelmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. Moderated Post