Professional Web Applications Themes

"#" in my text frames - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have been using Indesign CS for a few months now and this morning I went to make a new doent but when I added a text box it had a blue "#" inside the box. What does this mean and how do I turn it off? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default "#" in my text frames

    Jay_Roebuck@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: "#" in my text frames

    Turn off the display of hidden characters. That character you're seeing
    is an end of story indicator.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    If you didn't know what was happening, a word of explanation. InDesign lets
    you see 'hidden characters' which are formatting characters like spaces
    between words, end of paragraph marks, special space characters and the
    like. These don't print, so there is no harm in leaving them on display. And
    many people prefer to work with them visible because they confirm that these
    characters are present, and also confirm that other things - like two
    consecutive spaces between words - aren't.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I prefer the hidden characters on. Even when I work with MS Word I like to have them on but that's just me. Seeing the # sign is very helpful especially when you're working with several threaded frames.

    It's too bad Ken's newsreader doesn't have that feature. <g>

    #
    George Guest

  5. #5

    >What does this mean and how do I turn it off?

    Ctrl-Alt-i

    I'm in the camp that leaves these on all the time, even (especially) in
    Word. Seing all the dots for spaces isn't my favorite, but being able to
    immediately see tabs, hand distinguish between hard and soft returns is
    valuable.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    George

    You're quite right about my newsreader needing that feature. Unortunately it
    wouldn't do me any good if I had it.

    I use Outlook Express to read this forum and it seems to be a quirk of OE
    that it adds extra line returns - even if I don't. It's been picked up
    before and other people using OE have also found it happening to them.

    So believe me, when I hit that k character there's nothing more.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    No problem, looks like John has OE too. Oh well, what are you going to do? A couple of returns aren't going to kill anybody. The strange thing is, I tried reproducing that effect and I can't do it.
    George Guest

  8. #8

    Seing all the dots for spaces isn't my favorite, but being able to immediately
    see tabs, hand distinguish between hard and soft returns is valuable.

    That really drives me crazy in Word. I leave on everything except for the spaces. Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose if you can't differentiate between a period and a space?
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose if you can't differentiate between
    a period and a space?

    It would if you couldn't but you can. The period is at the bottom of the baseline and the space is in the middle.
    George Guest

  10. #10

    George,

    I'm using Word XP (and I've been using Word since 97) and in all my versions it's at the bottom. Is there some kind of option I don't know about where you can put it in the middle?
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    "> It would if you couldn't but you can. The

    Yeah, that might be enough fo some people. The dots used for spaces in Word
    are the same color as the text, they add to the 'grayness' of the page, and
    I find them too distracting. OTOH, in ID they are a different color and I
    don't really see them anymore.

    But even with the spaces off, I've had several people look at Word docs on
    my system and ask what's all this extra crap on the page.

  12. #12

    OK, nevermind, I used that option on exclusively with Hebrew and promptly turned it off.

    I just switched it on while typing English and it is infact in the middle.

    I wonder whose stupid idea it was to change it to the bottom while typing Hebrew.
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    But even with the spaces off, I've had several people look at Word docs
    on my system and ask what's all this extra crap on the page.

    I get that one a lot.

    I'm using Word XP (and I've been using Word since 97) and in all my versions
    it's at the bottom. Is there some kind of option I don't know about where
    you can put it in the middle?

    I'm sorry, it's my lack of attention. I was talking about ID and you were talking about Word.
    George Guest