Professional Web Applications Themes

include file not showing on linked page - Macromedia Dreamweaver

i am experimenting with having an include file containing a navigation bar at the top. I assumed that to have a website like this you need to have the include command on every page. So I have tested it out on two pages. I have put the inlude statement into both and using one as the "home" page I have made a link from it to the other page. When I preview both pages separately on IE it shows the nav bar. However when I preview the "home" page, which again shows its nav bar, I then click the link ...

  1. #1

    Default include file not showing on linked page

    i am experimenting with having an include file containing a navigation bar at the top. I assumed that to have a website like this you need to have the include command on every page. So I have tested it out on two pages. I have put the inlude statement into both and using one as the "home" page I have made a link from it to the other page. When I preview both pages separately on IE it shows the nav bar. However when I preview the "home" page, which again shows its nav bar, I then click the link to the other page. The other page displays with no nav bar.
    Would anyone be able to tell me why and what needs to be done to solve this.

    Also, so far I have included only htm files which have displayed ok when previewed in a browser. However I have read peoples messages on this site which say that includes only work with shtml extension. Is this correct?

    bob62 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: include file not showing on linked page

    > Also, so far I have included only htm files which have displayed ok
    > when previewed in a browser. However I have read peoples messages on
    > this site which say that includes only work with shtml extension. Is
    > this correct?

    htm or html files will work as includes but your server needs to be set
    up properly to accomodate them.

    Sounds to me as though you dont yet have the hang of include files. Your
    server needs to be able to support a server side language like php, asp,
    shtml, to be able to use these files.

    The question is does it support any of those?

    osgood Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, those answers have been a great help.

    Just one other question about a navigation bar via an include file. I am not able to currently test the pages on a server just yet, so I was wondering:

    I have added typical effects to the nav bar, ie move mouse over it and it indents, click on it and it goes blue, etc. (This has been done using fireworks by the way.)
    So my question is, when you link to another page with the nav bar file included, by clicking on a navigation button; is the navigation bar from the include file found in the new page to be either, "reset" or, carrying the caracteristic of the "button" clicked now being blue.

    bob62 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest