Professional Web Applications Themes

incommunicado - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

For some time, I had used RedHat 8 with a pretty ordinary installation on my home computer. I ran sshd on it, and could reach it from my office with ssh. I could open x-terms on it from my office, or vice-versa. Pretty much everything I wanted. Recently, I bought a new computer and moved the old one to another room in our house. Both are on the same network, with a router connecting to the outside world. I installed RedHat 9 on the new one, following pretty much the same pattern I had been successful with before. But NOTHING ...

  1. #1

    Default incommunicado

    For some time, I had used RedHat 8 with a pretty ordinary installation on
    my home computer. I ran sshd on it, and could reach it from my office
    with ssh. I could open x-terms on it from my office, or
    vice-versa. Pretty much everything I wanted.

    Recently, I bought a new computer and moved the old one to another room in
    our house. Both are on the same network, with a router connecting to the
    outside world. I installed RedHat 9 on the new one, following pretty much
    the same pattern I had been successful with before. But NOTHING can talk
    to this computer. I can ssh out from it, but cannot reach it from
    elsewhere. The firewall was turned off on istallation, I figured that I
    could configure the router to provide the kind of minimal protection I
    wanted.

    I can't think of why this machine rejects all connections. Even from the
    other computer on the internal net, this side of the router, no
    connections will be accepted. Doing xhost + doesn't matter. Nothing
    seems to matter; apparently, it can barely communicate with itself.

    Help!

    John E. Doner, UCSB Math. Dept., ucsb.edu

    John Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: incommunicado

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:23:52 -0700, John Doner <ucsb.edu>:
    [snip]

    xhost is only for X apps, and they'll only work when basic networking
    is working.

    Is sshd installed, configured, and running on the new machine? Can
    your two (localnet) machines ping each other?

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
    - - http://learn.to/quote (Deutsch) http://quote.6x.to (Eng.)
    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/spammers.html
    s. Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks very much for your advice. It confirmed that there was no obvious
    solution to the problem, and that I should continue poking around to see
    what was going on.

    Yes, the two machines could ping each other.

    I finally solved the problem by taking the router out of the system
    altogether. Then ssh worked just fine. Putting it back in place, I
    discovered that my interpretation of the router's configuration and the ip
    numbers it was assigning was incorrect. Once this was straightened out,
    everything worked.

    I had VMWare running on the old computer. It turns out that VMWare
    assigns a new MAC number to a virtual machine, which then gets its own ip
    assignment from the router. Gee, I guess I should have known this, it's
    on page 298 of the manual.

    A tool that proved very useful in diagnosing the trouble was
    tethereal. Behind a router in a small local network like mine, you can
    run it without a filter, and get an indication of every packet; when
    connected directly to the internet, one needs a filter, I used
    "ip.addr==128.111.88.63" where the latter was the ip of the machine at
    work that I was trying to communicate with. Being able to see exactly
    what generates a packet and when is a big help.

    On 24 Oct 2003, s. keeling wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    > xhost is only for X apps, and they'll only work when basic networking
    > is working.
    >
    > Is sshd installed, configured, and running on the new machine? Can
    > your two (localnet) machines ping each other?
    >

    > --
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    > (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
    > - - http://learn.to/quote (Deutsch) http://quote.6x.to (Eng.)
    > Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/spammers.html
    >[/ref]