Professional Web Applications Themes

InCopy driving me crazy - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

hi, im using Indesign and InCopy CS2, when i create assignments for Incopy,editors cant see all images in the layout,and sometimes not even the text, and so cant copyfit everything properly. they were using a mac mini for this so i thought it might be a graphic card issue, so i installed incopy on a dual processor G5 which i use indesign on. so if it can see indesign files normally, it should have no problem with incopy seeing it, or so i thought, but i have the same problem... please help. i tried using all options when creating the ...

  1. #1

    Default InCopy driving me crazy

    hi, im using Indesign and InCopy CS2,
    when i create assignments for Incopy,editors cant see all images in the layout,and sometimes not even the text, and so cant copyfit everything properly.

    they were using a mac mini for this so i thought it might be a graphic card issue, so i installed incopy on a dual processor G5 which i use indesign on. so if it can see indesign files normally, it should have no problem with incopy seeing it, or so i thought, but i have the same problem...

    please help. i tried using all options when creating the assignments with the same result.

    note: im quite sure that sometimes InCopy isnt too happy with images with transparency...

    ooz@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InCopy driving me crazy

    Are the images part of the assignment? Do you have the entire spread
    viewable as part of the assignment? Is everyone working off the same server?

    Bob
    Bob Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Did you export everything as InCopy stories? Did you assign all stories to the assignment? Did you choose for the right things at the moment of creation for the assignments (All spreads, placeholders, etc. If you choose 'placeholders' and did not assign incopt text to that assignment you would see the problem you described)?
    Did you supply the assignments and the incopy text files to the editor? (he needs both kind of files).
    wa veghel Guest

  4. #4

    Try a layout-based workflow instead of an assignments-based one. Just have the editors open the InDesign layout file from InCopy's File > Open menu. This does require that InDesign layouts sit on the server, as well as the exported InCopy stories.

    Multiple editors can open the same layout at the same time. The checkin/checkout system prevents two editors editors from working on the same story at the same time. And the designer can have the layout open in InDesign at the same time too.

    If you must stay w/and Assignments workflow, the previous questions are pertinent. You might also find this article, "2 Known Problems with Assignments in InCopy" helpful:
    <http://indesignsecrets.com/incopy-assignment-problems.php>

    AM
    Anne-Marie Concepcion Guest

  5. #5

    Try a layout-based workflow instead of an assignments-based one. Just
    have the editors open the InDesign layout file from InCopy's File > Open
    menu. This does require that InDesign layouts sit on the server, as well
    as the exported InCopy stories.

    This is how we use InCopy and it works quite well. I actually share my harddrive rather than use the server, but that's personal preference. My computer is a whole lot more stable than our server, so I'd rather know I can keep working on the files, even when the server goes down.

    I export stories only and only use assignments in that ID automatically creates a default assignment when you export stories. My editors open the InDesign doent and are able to access the stories in the layout. Works great, and they see everything the way it should be, except for fonts, which they usually don't have.
    Diane_King@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    ok i think everything worked fine.
    what i did is:

    1. i go to assignment palette, add new assignment (.inca)
    2. select text boxes and add them to that assignment (.incx)
    3. the editor just opens the indesign doent, as opposed to what i had with them opening the assignment file.

    and im saving everything on my machine and the editors are just accessing my computer to get to the files, no server.

    my editors thank all of you : )

    thanks a lot
    ooz Guest

  7. #7

    Glad it's working for you, but just wanted to point out there's no need for step 1. No need to create/name/save/update .inca files if editors are opening up the .indd file.

    Just export the stories to InCopy, that's it. They'll all show up under Unassigned Content in the Assignments palette.