Professional Web Applications Themes

Incorporating info like file save date automatically onto a page - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, Is it possible to incorporate file information, such as the file name and the save date onto a page so that it updates automatically and prints as part of the page (much like an automatic page number). We need to distribute paper copies of various revisions of each doent, and we need to give the users a good way of identifying which version any particular piece of paper belongs to. So that they don't pass on the incorrect version. Also, is it possible to mark a piece of text on one page and refer to that piece of text ...

  1. #1

    Default Incorporating info like file save date automatically onto a page

    Hi,

    Is it possible to incorporate file information, such as the file name and the save date onto a page so that it updates automatically and prints as part of the page (much like an automatic page number).

    We need to distribute paper copies of various revisions of each doent, and we need to give the users a good way of identifying which version any particular piece of paper belongs to. So that they don't pass on the incorrect version.

    Also, is it possible to mark a piece of text on one page and refer to that piece of text on another page (such as 'See the discussion on this topic on page ??) where the ?? updates automatically if the original page is moved?

    Many thanks all.
    marblegiant@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    For the first: Go to Print > Choose Marks and Bleeds and check Page Information.

    Teus de Jong
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    For the second: InDesign doesn't have cross-references. You can make them yourself by scripting using hyperlinks: one text is the source, the other the destination. The numbers can then be updated by a script (but that's beyond the scope of this).

  4. #4

    Page Information will give you the time and date the file was printed, not the time and date it was saved. Here's a script <http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=10333&back=http%3A%2F% 2Fshare%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxBrowseSubmit%2E asp%3Fr%3D0%26t%3D54%26pgsel1%3D3> that may help you.
    Greg_Gaspard@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Teus,

    Is there anyway you can set the hyperlink so that the page number of the destination is also included? (without a script?).

    The text I'm trying to cross-reference looks like this:
    For more information, refer to [topic title], page xx.

    I can't see how this is done in InDesign CS 3.0. (I'm just an end user, not a programmer.)

    Karen
    Karen_Kelaher@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Is there anyway you can set the hyperlink so that the page number of the
    destination is also included? (without a script?).

    Not that I know of. If I find the time, I will translate my script solution I have made in Delphi to a simple JavaScript.

    To be able to use it work as follows: in your example xx must be the source of the hyperlink and the page (or text on that page) the destination. Instead of xx, you can of course type the currently correct page number. but be sure that the complete page number is the hyperlink source. The only thing the script does is update the number if text is inserted or deleted.

  7. #7

    Karen,

    Here is a simple version. There is not much error correction. But for straightforward cross references in one doent it should work. One big caveat: the script supposes the pagename to be a number; if there is a section before the name, it probably has to be changed.

    Please save your doent before trying this one. Copy the script to your favourite editor and save it as Javascript (e.g. crossrefupdate.js) in the folder Presets\Scripts of InDesign

    for (i = 0; i < app.activeDoent.hyperlinks.length; i++){ hyper = app.activeDoent.hyperlinks[i]; // leave ID's own hyperlinks alone if (hyper.name.substring(0, 1) == '.'){continue} if (hyper.destination.constructor.name == 'HyperlinkTextDestination'){ try { if (app.version ==3){ myFrame = per.destination.destinationText.parentTextFrame; } else { myFrame = hyper.destination.destinationText.parentTextFrames[0]; } pag = myFrame.parent; while (pag.constructor.name != 'Page'){ pag = pag.parent; } s = pag.name; } catch (e) { alert('Could not catch page'); continue; }

    }
    else {
    s = hyper.destination.destinationPage.Name;
    }
    hyper.source.contents = s;
    }

  8. #8

    i'm trying to make Teus's script work and i'm stumbling at the last line. My modified code is as below. The error is that hyper.source doesn't have a contents method. If someone could also explain the overall procedure, I would appreciate.

    var nom;
    var hyper;
    var myFrame;
    var pag;
    var s;
    var i;

    for (i = 0; i < app.activeDoent.hyperlinks.length; i++){

    hyper=app.activeDoent.hyperlinks.item(i);

    nom = hyper.name.substring(0, 1);

    if (nom == '.'){continue}

    Guy_Verville@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Guy,

    That is an old version where hyper wasn't defined. The latest version (which also works with books) is on my homepage, including a tutorial on how to use it. You can also directly get it via this link:

    <http://www.teusdejong.nl/indesign/crossrefs.zip>

    See also here:

    Teus de Jong, "Page References" #13, 6 Aug 2005 6:30 am </cgi-bin/webx?13.3bbb6574/12>

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks a lot!