Professional Web Applications Themes

Incorrect geometry - FreeBSD

    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Incorrect geometry

    Mike Loiterman wrote:

    Isn't the rest of the error message "using a more likely geometry?"

    IANAE, but I believe FBSD is simply stating that it doesn't find
    the BIOS's numbers to be what it wants, so it's going to use
    its own. This would explain the effect you see in the second
    sentence above.

    As "yield", "slice", and "function" seems OK, I think "go for it!"
    is perfectly good advice in this instance. I've seen the error
    several times, too, and so far so good.

    I am willing to be corrected by my betters, though, of course.

    Kevin Kinsey
    Kevin Guest

  3. #3

    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 10:32:19PM -0600, Mike Loiterman wrote:

    > > Isn't the rest of the error message "using a more likely geometry?"
    > >
    > > IANAE, but I believe FBSD is simply stating that it doesn't find
    > > the BIOS's numbers to be what it wants, so it's going to use
    > > its own. This would explain the effect you see in the second
    > > sentence above.
    > >
    > > As "yield", "slice", and "function" seems OK, I think "go for it!"
    > > is perfectly good advice in this instance. I've seen the error
    > > several times, too, and so far so good.
    > >
    > > I am willing to be corrected by my betters, though, of course.
    > >
    > > Kevin Kinsey[/ref]
    >
    > It does say, "using a more likely geometry". The numbers are vastly
    > different then what the BIOS says, but as I said, the capacity seems
    > correct and it functions normally.
    >
    > I just don't want to have any trouble down the road...[/ref]

    It shouldn't be a problem. Geometries nowdays aren't as useful as they
    used to be and aren't really used much, LBA alleviates most of that.
    The geometries that FreeBSD uses aren't the same that the drive
    internally uses. In fact, using geometries has been the cause of an old
    8 gig limit on hard drives, a newer 137 gig limit, and an old boot
    loader problem booting anything over cylinder 1023.

    As for the missing 8 gigs, that's probably because your hard drive
    manufacture used SI units (10^3=1000) instead of the standard units
    (2^10=1024) just to make the number look bigger. My 250 gig drive is
    only 238 gig in reality.

    --
    I sense much NT in you.
    NT leads to Bluescreen.

    Fingerprint: CEE1 AAE2 F66C 59B5 34CA C415 6D35 E847 0118 A3D2

    Loren Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 03:20:25AM -0800, Loren M. Lang wrote:

    > > It does say, "using a more likely geometry". The numbers are vastly
    > > different then what the BIOS says, but as I said, the capacity seems
    > > correct and it functions normally.
    > >
    > > I just don't want to have any trouble down the road...[/ref]
    >
    > It shouldn't be a problem. Geometries nowdays aren't as useful as they
    > used to be and aren't really used much, LBA alleviates most of that.
    > The geometries that FreeBSD uses aren't the same that the drive
    > internally uses. In fact, using geometries has been the cause of an old
    > 8 gig limit on hard drives, a newer 137 gig limit, and an old boot
    > loader problem booting anything over cylinder 1023.
    >
    > As for the missing 8 gigs, that's probably because your hard drive
    > manufacture used SI units (10^3=1000) instead of the standard units
    > (2^10=1024) just to make the number look bigger. My 250 gig drive is
    > only 238 gig in reality.[/ref]

    Back when I installed 5.2 I to got this error. I went along with it, but
    this seemed to cause the system to not be able to reboot. This is
    proberbly the worst that can happen to you. Somehow I was able to
    install it with the orignal setting. Afther this it would reboot.

    No when running FDISK Partition Editor from /stand/sysinstall it says:
    A geometry of 484521/16/63 for ad0 is incorrect.

    But when running fdisk off the shell it says:
    parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
    cylinders=484521 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

    --
    Alex

    Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
    WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/
    Alex Guest

  6. #6

    Default IPFW or pf?

    I have read the handbook about firewalls, and compiled my kernel without
    switching on any explicit support for pf.

    Now, when I ran the mergemaster it suddenly found a lot of references to
    pf in my startup scripts.

    Is pf some kind of mandatory part of the base system these days? I
    thought it was some kind of alternative to IPFW, but now I'm no longer
    so sure.

    Can someone tell me if it's ok to just use IPFW on my STABLE system, or
    is there some other knobs in the kernelconfig I should toggle to turn
    off pf support?

    /Andreas

    --
    A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

  7. #7

    Default Re: IPFW or pf?

    Andreas Davour <UU.SE> writes:

    The startup scripts support pf, but do not require it.

    It is a part of the base system. It is always present just like ipfw,
    but its use is not required.

    You are fine the way you are. I recommend letting mergemaster update
    the default pf startup files, so that it won't ask about them next
    time, but it doesn't really matter if you're not using pf.
    Lowell Guest

  8. #8

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

    > The startup scripts support pf, but do not require it.[/ref]

    Ok, That's a relief. I didn't do anything stupid.

    > It is a part of the base system. It is always present just like ipfw,
    > but its use is not required.[/ref]

    So, the base systems ships with two firewalls? Why? Reading about
    firewalls in the handbook, I realized I didn't know much about them. I'd
    say that adding some more text to the handbook about those two and how
    they [don't] interact might be a good idea. I don't know enough to do
    it.

    > You are fine the way you are. I recommend letting mergemaster update
    > the default pf startup files, so that it won't ask about them next
    > time, but it doesn't really matter if you're not using pf.[/ref]

    Will do.

    Thanks for the help!

    /Andreas

    --
    A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

  9. #9

    Andreas Davour <UU.SE> writes:

    By default pf is compiled as a loadable module, which you load if you
    want to run pf, leave alone otherwise. Removing all traces of pf would
    likely take a bit of effort.

    Peter Guest

  10. #10

    Andreas Davour <UU.SE> writes:

    Three, actually - ipfw, ipf and pf. There's a brief explanation why in
    the handbook at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-apps.html

    I prefer pf myself, but which one to use is really down to personal
    preference. I'd recommend following the Handbook's advice and do a bit
    of reading and experimenting.

    I hope to get around to updating my pf tutorial soonish (see
    http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/en/ if you're interested - or
    http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/no/ if you prefer the Norwegian version)

    Peter Guest