Professional Web Applications Themes

Increase Explorer 5.1 performance in OS 9.2 - Mac Networking

Hi. Compared to my collegues PC, my eMac running OS 9.2.2 renders websites tiresomely. Local Mac shop says it is inherit to the Mac's manner in processing HTML. My cable connection through my router is fairly fast, so I am wondering if there is anything I can do, short of getting a new Mac or PC, neither which appeal to me. There must be some settings I can utilize. Thanks in advance. - Dan...

  1. #1

    Default Increase Explorer 5.1 performance in OS 9.2

    Hi. Compared to my collegues PC, my eMac running OS 9.2.2 renders
    websites tiresomely. Local Mac shop says it is inherit to the Mac's
    manner in processing HTML. My cable connection through my router is
    fairly fast, so I am wondering if there is anything I can do, short of
    getting a new Mac or PC, neither which appeal to me. There must be some
    settings I can utilize. Thanks in advance. - Dan
    Dan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Increase Explorer 5.1 performance in OS 9.2

    In article <1fzsfk4.prxqwe1ysh42gN%dcallahainfionline.net> ,
    [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Dan) wrote:
    > Hi. Compared to my collegues PC, my eMac running OS 9.2.2 renders
    > websites tiresomely. Local Mac shop says it is inherit to the Mac's
    > manner in processing HTML. My cable connection through my router is
    > fairly fast, so I am wondering if there is anything I can do, short of
    > getting a new Mac or PC, neither which appeal to me. There must be some
    > settings I can utilize. Thanks in advance. - Dan
    ---

    Have you tried allocating more memory to the application?

    Have you limited cache size or dumped the cache lately?

    Emptied trash can?

    Defrag'd the drive?
    D. Kirkpatrick Guest

  3. #3

    In article <sunclad-221807.15093016082003news.verizon.net>, D.
    Kirkpatrick <suncladsunclad.com> wrote:
    > In article <1fzsfk4.prxqwe1ysh42gN%dcallahainfionline.net> ,
    > [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Dan) wrote:
    >
    > > Hi. Compared to my collegues PC, my eMac running OS 9.2.2 renders
    > > websites tiresomely. Local Mac shop says it is inherit to the Mac's
    > > manner in processing HTML. My cable connection through my router is
    > > fairly fast, so I am wondering if there is anything I can do, short of
    > > getting a new Mac or PC, neither which appeal to me. There must be some
    > > settings I can utilize. Thanks in advance. - Dan
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Have you tried allocating more memory to the application?
    >
    > Have you limited cache size or dumped the cache lately?
    >
    > Emptied trash can?
    >
    > Defrag'd the drive?
    How long does it take to display [url]http://www.apple.com/[/url] ?
    David C. Stone Guest

  4. #4

    David C. Stone <no.emailexample.com> wrote:
    > [url]http://www.apple.com/[/url]
    About 6 seconds.
    Dan Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1fzsfk4.prxqwe1ysh42gN%dcallahainfionline.net> ,
    [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Dan) wrote:
    > Hi. Compared to my collegues PC, my eMac running OS 9.2.2 renders
    > websites tiresomely. Local Mac shop says it is inherit to the Mac's
    > manner in processing HTML. My cable connection through my router is
    > fairly fast, so I am wondering if there is anything I can do, short of
    > getting a new Mac or PC, neither which appeal to me. There must be some
    > settings I can utilize. Thanks in advance. - Dan
    Local Mac shop's comment falls before simple logic: The Mac has no
    "manner in processing HTML." Parsing and rendering HTML is done by the
    browser. Most browsers available for Mac OS 9.x are written for the PC
    and ported to the Mac expending as little effort as possible, sometimes
    resulting in suboptimal code. Even under OS X, most browsers are not
    well-written. Local Mac shop's conventional wisdom that it's an inherent
    problem with the Mac is (almost certainly) a large part of the reason
    Safari exists.

    Short of getting a new machine, you could try different browsers.
    Microsoft in particular has/had little incentive to expend resources
    optimizing a free product for a competing operating system.

    Gregory Weston Guest

  6. #6

    In article <44rvjvcd8vrarhs2nt39d9eit8am7aqsr04ax.com>, foo <foobar.com>
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:17:40 -0400, [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Dan)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Andy Walton <atticusmindspring.com> wrote:

    > >> MSIE's rendering engine isn't the best in the business. That's the
    > >> problem, more than anything inherent in the system, though generall
    > >> speed-up measures (optimize the drive, make sure you have plenty of RAM
    > >> and plenty allocated to the browser) couldn't hurt. Try Opera or
    > >> Mozilla, and see if they load pages faster.
    > >>
    > >> Oh, and Safari is another reason to upgrade to OS X.
    > >Yea, I have heard this, but it still seems that there should be
    > >somesort of resolution for OS9 users. I can't believe every Mac user
    > >like me using OS9 is having to endure this lack of performance.
    >
    > Welcome to the Macintosh. :)
    >
    > Safari in OS X is quite a bit better. Not blazing fast, but fast
    > enough that it isn't obviously slow and noticeable.
    And, lets not forget that Safari on a iMac 400Mhz is about twice as fast as IE
    on a 2Ghz PC, David. :)

    You must really be ed about how slow IE is on your PC. :-D

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  7. #7

    keved <kevedAFRAIDOFSPAMpacbell.net> wrote:
    > in article 1fztoko.186gk3mp1mg5sN%dcallahainfionline.net, Dan at
    > [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] wrote on 8/17/03 7:17 AM:
    >
    > > D. Kirkpatrick <suncladsunclad.com> wrote:

    > > Total RAM is 385mb with 60mb devoted to IE. Cache is set at 50mb. Doing
    > > what you have suggested doesn't seem to make a significant difference.
    > > Anyother suggestions?
    >

    > Under Preferences/Web Browser/Advanced change Max connections from 4 to 8.
    > Make sure Support multiple connections is turned on.
    >
    > Try adjusting your cache up and down. I found 10Mb to work best on some
    > machines and higher amounts on others.
    >
    > Other things you can do to help includes:
    >
    > - Disabling plug-ins
    > - Disabling Java
    > - Disable looping of animated GIFs
    >
    > These settings may make some sites not work as intended, but can really help
    > improve things. The disabling of looping for GIFs is a fantastic feature of
    > Explorer that I wish Safari had. Not only will it speed things up a bit on
    > slow machines, but it also makes annoying pages more tolerable.
    Superb - I'll give these suggestions a try - thanks.
    Dan Guest

  8. #8

    foo <foobar.com> wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:17:40 -0400, [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Dan)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Andy Walton <atticusmindspring.com> wrote:

    > >> MSIE's rendering engine isn't the best in the business. That's the
    > >> problem, more than anything inherent in the system, though generall
    > >> speed-up measures (optimize the drive, make sure you have plenty of RAM
    > >> and plenty allocated to the browser) couldn't hurt. Try Opera or
    > >> Mozilla, and see if they load pages faster.
    > >>
    > >> Oh, and Safari is another reason to upgrade to OS X.
    > >Yea, I have heard this, but it still seems that there should be
    > >somesort of resolution for OS9 users. I can't believe every Mac user
    > >like me using OS9 is having to endure this lack of performance.
    >
    > Welcome to the Macintosh. :)
    >
    > Safari in OS X is quite a bit better. Not blazing fast, but fast
    > enough that it isn't obviously slow and noticeable.
    er!:-)
    Dan Guest

  9. #9

    Dan <dcallahainfionline.net> wrote:
    > keved <kevedAFRAIDOFSPAMpacbell.net> wrote:
    >
    > > in article 1fztoko.186gk3mp1mg5sN%dcallahainfionline.net, Dan at
    > > [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] wrote on 8/17/03 7:17 AM:

    > > > Total RAM is 385mb with 60mb devoted to IE. Cache is set at 50mb. Doing
    > > > what you have suggested doesn't seem to make a significant difference.
    > > > Anyother suggestions?
    > >

    > > Under Preferences/Web Browser/Advanced change Max connections from 4 to 8.
    > > Make sure Support multiple connections is turned on.
    > >
    > > Try adjusting your cache up and down. I found 10Mb to work best on some
    > > machines and higher amounts on others.
    > >
    > > Other things you can do to help includes:
    > >
    > > - Disabling plug-ins
    > > - Disabling Java
    > > - Disable looping of animated GIFs
    > >
    > > These settings may make some sites not work as intended, but can really help
    > > improve things. The disabling of looping for GIFs is a fantastic feature of
    > > Explorer that I wish Safari had. Not only will it speed things up a bit on
    > > slow machines, but it also makes annoying pages more tolerable.
    >
    > Superb - I'll give these suggestions a try - thanks.
    These suggestions seemed to help, though I wasn't able to disable Java,
    as one of the sites I access requires it. Incidentally, Java is where I
    am having another problem - site features don't work because of Jave
    differences (or so I am led to believe) between the Mac and PC versions
    of IE. Is this true? Anyway to make the Mac version more compatible?
    Dan Guest

  10. #10

    Harri Mellin <atz02netscape.net> wrote:
    > In article <1fzum3h.g03qs716ooz3iN%dcallahainfionline.net> ,
    > [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Dan) wrote:
    >
    > > Via a cable connection??
    >
    > ADSL 500/500
    Now that's not all that asymmetric, is it?

    --
    The ears are too length.
    tim lindner [email]tlindnerix.netcom.com[/email]

  11. #11

    Dan <dcallahainfionline.net> wrote:
    > D. Kirkpatrick <suncladsunclad.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1fzsfk4.prxqwe1ysh42gN%dcallahainfionline.net> ,
    > > [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Dan) wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi. Compared to my collegues PC, my eMac running OS 9.2.2 renders
    > > > websites tiresomely. Local Mac shop says it is inherit to the Mac's
    > > > manner in processing HTML. My cable connection through my router is
    > > > fairly fast, so I am wondering if there is anything I can do, short of
    > > > getting a new Mac or PC, neither which appeal to me. There must be some
    > > > settings I can utilize. Thanks in advance. - Dan
    > >
    > Total RAM is 385mb with 60mb devoted to IE. Cache is set at 50mb. Doing
    > what you have suggested doesn't seem to make a significant difference.
    > Anyother suggestions?
    The cache may be way to big for IE to handle it efficiently. Putting it
    on a RAM disk might help too. Actually, when running on a fast line, try
    disabling the cache altogether

    Lars T.
    --
    Zuse ruleZ
    Lars Träger Guest

  12. #12

    In article <atz02-611688.18130217082003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    Harri Mellin <atz02netscape.net> wrote:
    > In article <1fztotp.5n30pwalz8i4N%dcallahainfionline.net>,
    > [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Dan) wrote:
    >
    > > David C. Stone <no.emailexample.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > [url]http://www.apple.com/[/url]
    > > About 6 seconds.
    >
    > iCab - 26 sec
    >
    > MsIE 5.1.7 - 11sec
    >
    > Opera 6.02 - 45 sec (freezes for 20sec when loading page)
    13 seconds using a Wallstreet powerbook with 192MB of ram,OSX 10.2.4,
    Safari, and a T-1 line.
    kenji Guest

  13. #13

    kenji <yobubbaameritech.net> wrote:
    > In article <atz02-611688.18130217082003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    > Harri Mellin <atz02netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1fztotp.5n30pwalz8i4N%dcallahainfionline.net>,
    > > [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Dan) wrote:

    > > > About 6 seconds.
    > >
    > > iCab - 26 sec
    > >
    > > MsIE 5.1.7 - 11sec
    > >
    > > Opera 6.02 - 45 sec (freezes for 20sec when loading page)
    >
    > 13 seconds using a Wallstreet powerbook with 192MB of ram,OSX 10.2.4,
    > Safari, and a T-1 line.
    Wow! Even with a T-1 line, huh? Guess I need to appreciate what I have,
    even though it is painfully slow PC compared.
    Daniel Callahan Guest

  14. #14

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:21:12 -0500, kenji <yobubbaameritech.net>
    wrote:
    >In article <atz02-611688.18130217082003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    > Harri Mellin <atz02netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1fztotp.5n30pwalz8i4N%dcallahainfionline.net>,
    >> [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Dan) wrote:

    >> > About 6 seconds.
    >>
    >> iCab - 26 sec
    >>
    >> MsIE 5.1.7 - 11sec
    >>
    >> Opera 6.02 - 45 sec (freezes for 20sec when loading page)
    >
    >13 seconds using a Wallstreet powerbook with 192MB of ram,OSX 10.2.4,
    >Safari, and a T-1 line.
    Under 2 seconds - MSIE v6, Dual 700 mhz P3, cable modem connection.

    Why is the Mac so slow?
    foo Guest

  15. #15

    In article
    <Pine.LNX.4.44.0308232207400.7466-100000kern.srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk>,
    Frederick Cheung <fglc2srcf.DUH.ucam.org> wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, foo wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:21:12 -0500, kenji <yobubbaameritech.net>
    > > wrote:

    > > >13 seconds using a Wallstreet powerbook with 192MB of ram,OSX 10.2.4,
    > > >Safari, and a T-1 line.
    > >
    > > Under 2 seconds - MSIE v6, Dual 700 mhz P3, cable modem connection.
    > >
    > > Why is the Mac so slow?
    >
    > It's not really surprising that you dual 700 mhz p3 can beat a wallstreet
    > (something like a 300 mhz g3). My 17 inch powerbook takes something of the
    > order of a second or 2 to load [url]www.apple.com[/url] (safari;dsl)
    >
    > Fred

    Yup.

    Less than 2 seconds on my G4 PowerBook (867MHz) on DSL.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

  16. #16

    In article <1g06wck.y6shpu1cfev3kN%dcallahainfionline.net> ,
    [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Daniel Callahan) wrote:
    > Alan Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > <Pine.LNX.4.44.0308232207400.7466-100000kern.srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk>,
    > > Frederick Cheung <fglc2srcf.DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    > > > It's not really surprising that you dual 700 mhz p3 can beat a wallstreet
    > > > (something like a 300 mhz g3). My 17 inch powerbook takes something of the
    > > > order of a second or 2 to load [url]www.apple.com[/url] (safari;dsl)
    > > >
    > > > Fred
    > > >

    > > Yup.
    > >
    > > Less than 2 seconds on my G4 PowerBook (867MHz) on DSL.
    > If that's the case, then hwo do I investigate why my eMac 700MHz is so
    > slow. The cable connection via DSL Reports is fast enough. Would a
    > router cause a slow down (though I suspect the dsl test shows the router
    > factored in)? Any ideas on researching this as the local Mac shop says
    > it just a function of the Mac.
    File downloads aren't any slower on the Mac, right? Only web page
    faster DNS servers.

    --
    "First, let me make it very clear, poor people aren't necessarily killers. Just
    because you happen to be not rich doesn't mean you're willing to kill."

  17. #17

    In article <1fzv5zw.oajtkm19db9y0N%Lars.Traegerepost.de>,
    [email]Lars.Traegerepost.de[/email] (Lars Träger) wrote:

    > The cache may be way to big for IE to handle it efficiently. Putting it
    > on a RAM disk might help too. Actually, when running on a fast line, try
    > disabling the cache altogether

    Hi.

    Some tips I got a while back:
    - Making a small RAM disk and placing the cache on it like Lars
    suggested above. I've been doing it for a long time, and it does improve
    things.
    - In Preferences:Network:Proxies, set all unused proxy serves to some
    dummy name, port 99 and a dummy user name and password. Then disable the
    ones you don't actually use. As I recall, there is a perfectly good
    reason for this, though I've forgotten the details.

    Good luck,
    Jens Vesterdahl

    --
    Når der svares på mail, fjern venligst alt efter .dk i mail adressen.
    When answering by mail, please remove everything after .dk in the mail address.

  18. #18

    ZnU <znuacedsl.com> wrote:
    > In article <1g06wck.y6shpu1cfev3kN%dcallahainfionline.net> , >
    [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Daniel Callahan) wrote: > > > Alan Baker
    <alangbakertelus.net> wrote: > > > > > In article > > >
    <Pine.LNX.4.44.0308232207400.7466-100000kern.srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk>,
    > > > Frederick Cheung <fglc2srcf.DUH.ucam.org> wrote: > > > > > > > On
    Sat, 23 Aug 2003, foo wrote: > > > > > > > > > On Fri, 22 Aug 2003
    >> In article <1fztotp.5n30pwalz8i4N%dcallahainfionline.net>, > > > > >
    >> [email]dcallahainfionline.net[/email] (Dan) wrote: > > > > > >> > > > > > >> >
    David C. Stone <no.emailexample.com> wrote: > > > > > >> > > > > > > >>
    > > [url]http://www.apple.com/[/url] > > > > > >> > About 6 seconds. > > > > > >> > > >
    page) > > > > > > > > > > > >13 seconds using a Wallstreet powerbook
    with 192MB of ram,OSX 10.2.4, > > > > > >Safari, and a T-1 line. > > > >
    connection. > > > > > > > > > > Why is the Mac so slow? > > > > > > > >
    It's not really surprising that you dual 700 mhz p3 can beat a
    wallstreet > > > > (something like a 300 mhz g3). My 17 inch powerbook
    takes something of the > > > > order of a second or 2 to load
    [url]www.apple.com[/url] (safari;dsl) > > > > > > > > Fred > > > > > > > > > > Yup.
    that's the case, then hwo do I investigate why my eMac 700MHz is so > >
    slow. The cable connection via DSL Reports is fast enough. Would a > >
    router cause a slow down (though I suspect the dsl test shows the router
    > > factored in)? Any ideas on researching this as the local Mac shop says
    > > it just a function of the Mac. > > File downloads aren't any slower on
    the Mac, right? Only web page > loading? My suspicion is that you just
    need to tell the Mac to use some > faster DNS servers. Which means what?
    Daniel Callahan Guest