Professional Web Applications Themes

[Indesign 2.0.2] Dot List Text - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi to all, i'm sorry but i have a very silly question wich i have not solution: I have a text and i need to put a dot for some line of a paragraph and i need that the text below is aligned with the first line don't know very well how to explain it but it's a very simple thing u can do it eaven with word.... : ( it's like a list of text with a dot before every new line and the rest of the text aligned thanks Teo...

  1. #1

    Default [Indesign 2.0.2] Dot List Text

    Gallo_Teo@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: [Indesign 2.0.2] Dot List Text

    I think what you are talking about is a bulleted paragraph. If you were
    using InDesign CS you could achieve this simply by buying the PageMaker
    plug-in.

    In InDesign 2 you need to find a bullet character, either by selecting it
    from a standard font (try Alt+0149) or, nicer, picking something from
    Dingbats or Wingdings. Then use the paragraph palette to set an indent value
    for the paragraph and a negative indent value for the first line according
    to the width of the bullet character you have chosen. Play with the numbers
    until it looks right. Then save this as a paragraph style. You will have to
    add the bullet manually each time you use it, but the paragraph style should
    set up the spacing for you.

    It is a good idea to use a fixed space, say an en space, between the bullet
    and first word of the character. This prevents InDesign from adjusting the
    width of this space and making the paragraph spacing look odd.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    have tried that way but sometimes the second line is not aligned because my text is giustified... How can i fix it?
    Gallo_Teo@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    If you use the same bullet character each time, once you have established
    the left indent and negative first line indent, all paragraphs using those
    settings will be the same. Justification makes no difference - assuming you
    have noted my suggestion to use a fixed space between the bullet and the
    first word. If you havene't done that, justification will adjust that space.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Why not use a tab?

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I never thought of that! I've been building hanging indent bulleted
    paragraphs like this since Aldus days. I can't remember whether it would
    have been possibly using a tab then, but old habits die hard.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    InDesign, like Word, but unlike PageMaker*, regards the left margin as an automatic left-tab stop. So, if you started out in PM, that would explain your use of an alternative approach.

    Dave

    *It's possible this was changed in recent versions of PM, I don't recall.
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I always use a hanging indent with a tab. Works great. Lee Pierce
    Lee_Pierce@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    ok Dave, i have done it with margin as u eplained to me and i used tu special characte (right click on the text) to make the white space between Dot and first text line. Did u mean that for "bullet" character?

    Thanks!
    But if i have to make another level of dots under that how can i indent it? it's not so easy

    Thanks to all

  10. #10

    "But if i have to make another level of dots under that how can i indent
    it?"

    Just change the indent values to give you a deeper indent.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest