Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign, Acrobat and Forms - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'm having a workflow crisis. I currently need to create a variety of PDF forms with fillable fields. I have two options to create them; InDesign/Acrobat, or Adobe LiveCycle Designer. Creating forms in InDesign is easy, as I have all of the comfortable design tools I need to make professional looking forms and export to PDF. From there it is fairly easy to add form fields in Acrobat and save a final PDF. The problem is what happens when the original form needs to be changed? I have to go back to InDesign, makes the changes, export to PDF, and ...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign, Acrobat and Forms

    I'm having a workflow crisis.

    I currently need to create a variety of PDF forms with fillable fields. I have two options to create them; InDesign/Acrobat, or Adobe LiveCycle Designer.

    Creating forms in InDesign is easy, as I have all of the comfortable design tools I need to make professional looking forms and export to PDF. From there it is fairly easy to add form fields in Acrobat and save a final PDF.

    The problem is what happens when the original form needs to be changed? I have to go back to InDesign, makes the changes, export to PDF, and then redo all of the previous work in setting up the form fields. There's got to be a better way.

    This is where LiveCycle Designer comes to the rescue, or at least I thought it would. It's difficult for me to tell just who Designer is intended for, but it doesn't seem to be graphic artists. It looks, acts and feels like anything but an Adobe program. In fact it almost acts more like a Microsoft program.

    I've struggled with Designer's layout tools but haven't had much luck in trying to duplicate the look and feel of some existing forms. I couldn't set the doent measurement system as picas (only points). I was appalled to see that it cannot import EPS, AI, SVG or any type of vector artwork at all. For a company logo I'd need to create a bitmap file (ugh). Designer seems like it has its strengths, but I can't figure out if I should put more effort into it or just forget that I have it.

    What I would like to know is how others deal with making PDFs with fillable form fields. Am I missing something obvious, or do others simply go through the extra work of redoing the form fields every time the doent changes? Or are you blessed with clients that never make changes? :)
    Robert_Oliver@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InDesign, Acrobat and Forms

    Robert,

    You can do your forms in InDesign and export to Acrobat. When you need to
    change a form you should examine the "replace page" function in Acrobat
    (found under the pages pane)

    What it will do is that it will replace the "background" / appearance of the
    page, but all your form fields will remain intact.

    Obviously, you may need to reposition some of the form fields etc, depending
    on what kind of change you made to the layout, but you will not need to
    remake all the form elements.

    Richard_Ronnback@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    You can do your forms in InDesign and export to Acrobat. When you need
    to change a form you should examine the "replace page" function in Acrobat(found
    under the pages pane)

    Yes, that would make things quite easier. Thanks.
    Robert_Oliver@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Robert,

    I believe that LiveCycle Designer was developed by a third party and purchased by Adobe, thus the lack of familiar interface. It leans heavily toward facilities for form fields and XML support, etc., but falls a bit short from a design standpoint.

    Phil Redman
    pjredman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Acrobat 7 Premium has a forms designer included that can be used to create forms without having to use a page layout program. I have not used it but stumbled across it when converting one of my pubs.

    Stan Wetherald
    Quality Quickprint
    DeLand, Florida USA
    Stan_Wetherald@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Acrobat 7 Premium has a forms designer included

    Yes, that is the aforementioned LiveCycle Designer. It's interesting, but it has a lot of faults when it comes to actually doing what its name says--designing.
    Robert_Oliver@adobeforums.com Guest