Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign chronic crashes - Adobe Indesign Windows

William, If it's working on another machine withthe same file it's either the installation of ID or the hardware setup, and my guess is the latter. Try deleting the video card and the mouse in device manager and restarting so that windows is forced to relocate them, then make sure you load drivers from a clean location, not the possibly corrupt System32 drivers folder. Peter...

  1. #41

    Default Re: InDesign chronic crashes

    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #42

    I think I'm going to totally uninstall CS and start over. Nothing
    seems to have worked. The main thing causing a crash is clicking
    anywhere off of the pasteboard. I did have one crash after using the
    X/Y coordinate box to move a placed graphic.
    All other programs seem solid (crashes occur but are very very rare)

    system:Dell Precision 470 workstation; dual 3.4ghz Xeon processors;
    2gb of ram. windows XP Pro version 2002; service pack 2
    adobe InDesign CS version 3.0.1
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1300 video card
    motherboard replaced in the last 2 weeks

    things tried so far:
    1. turned hardware acceleration to zero
    2. reseated video card
    3. uninstalled/reinstalled ID (suspect since it took only minutes)
    4. started program with only system fonts loaded
    5. recreated doent and was successful and was crash free for a
    short time
    6. deleted mouse and video card and loaded drivers from location
    other than system32 folder
    7. opened file on another box and it seemed pretty stable
    8. tried other ID files and they were solid at first but now
    all ID files crash
    9. have placed several different file formats:.eps;.tif.jpeg;.psd
    10.have exported(saved as) file as .inx
    11.made sure video and mouse drivers are current

    Any additional suggestions are very welcome.
    william_craft@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #43

    I experienced similar problems with ID 3.0 in the beginning. Suddenly ID was crashing if I tried to move large images so that they crossed the "gray area" even when they were cropped or resized in ID. The cure was to uninstall ID and install again. Since then I always resize large low resolution digital photos in PhotoShop before placing them into ID. Never experienced crashes anymore.

    Claudius
    claudius@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #44

    William,

    Make sure you hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when you launch after the reinstall to replace the preferences. I've found that even if you say you want to, it doesn't always do it on a reinstall.

    If it isn't something like what Claudius is talking about it is still, in my gut opinion, something to do with the hardware. Can you swap the memory? I had a bad stick on an old machine that would be running along just fine until I did one particular task with Adobe Type Manager, and then it would crash, predictabley, every time. Took a week to figure out. Try running with half the memory and see if it crashes, then the other half.

  5. #45

    Peter his some additional info.

    the following tools crash the program when clicked in the gray area
    selection tool; direct selection tool; pen tool; pencil tool; line
    tool;

    the hand tool and text tool did not cause a crash.

    here is my InDesign.log that shows some access violation

    //================================================== ===
    Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Fault address:

    4A970A38 01:0003FA38 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS\Required\LAYOUT.RPLN

    Registers:
    EAX:038B4978
    EBX:00000000
    ECX:01A7EBD8
    EDX:00002C36
    ESI:00000000
    EDI:00000000
    CS:EIP:001B:4A970A38
    SS:ESP:0023:0012F230

    EBP:0012F280
    DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000
    Flags:00250202

    Call stack:
    Address Frame Logical addr

    Module
    4A970A38 0012F280 0001:0003FA38 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS\Required\LAYOUT.RPLN
    //================================================== ===
    Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Fault address:

    4A970A38 01:0003FA38 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS\Required\LAYOUT.RPLN

    Registers:
    EAX:03A83FF8
    EBX:00000000
    ECX:01CCE638
    EDX:00002C36
    ESI:00000000
    EDI:00000000
    CS:EIP:001B:4A970A38
    SS:ESP:0023:0012F230

    EBP:0012F280
    DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000
    Flags:00250202

    Call stack:
    Address Frame Logical addr

    Module
    4A970A38 0012F280 0001:0003FA38 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS\Required\LAYOUT.RPLN
    //================================================== ===
    Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Fault address:

    4A970A38 01:0003FA38 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS\Required\LAYOUT.RPLN

    Registers:
    EAX:0278D9E8
    EBX:00000000
    ECX:01CCE638
    EDX:00002C36
    ESI:00000000
    EDI:00000000
    CS:EIP:001B:4A970A38
    SS:ESP:0023:0012F230

    EBP:0012F280
    DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000
    Flags:00250202

    Call stack:
    Address Frame Logical addr

    Module
    4A970A38 0012F280 0001:0003FA38 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS\Required\LAYOUT.RPLN
    //================================================== ===
    Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Fault address:

    4A970A38 01:0003FA38 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS\Required\LAYOUT.RPLN

    Registers:
    EAX:02CDDCB0
    EBX:00000000
    ECX:01CE4F58
    EDX:00002C36
    ESI:00000000
    EDI:00000000
    CS:EIP:001B:4A970A38
    SS:ESP:0023:0012EA00

    EBP:0012EA50
    DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000
    Flags:00250202

    Call stack:
    Address Frame Logical addr

    Module
    4A970A38 0012EA50 0001:0003FA38 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS\Required\LAYOUT.RPLN
    4CF447AE

    01C252D8 0001:000137AE C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS\Plug-ins\LAYOUT\INFO PANEL.APLN

    I don't know if this will help anyone but it may be a start.
    william_craft@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #46

    William,

    I'm afraid the error log doesn't mean much to me, but it very well might to some of the other readers, particularly if someone from Adobe tech support is monitoring the thread. Did you send the error log to Adobe since you have an incident open? Have you had a chance to try the half-the-memory game? I'm really suspicious that it is some hardware issue.

  7. #47

    I don't know much about crash logs either, but the words Access Violation strongly suggest a corrupted or badly form font is gumming up the works.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #48

    I haven't sent error to Adobe yet nor the memory. I've been trying
    get every thing uninstalled/reinstalled etc. I was shown how to
    enlarge my paste board area so that'll be a big help. That clicking
    another tool to get the mouse to scroll again seems to be a limited type deal. You seem to get so many before it stops working.

    I will definitely look into sending Adobe a copy of the crash log. Any idea who'd it be?

    thanks ya'll.
    william_craft@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #49

    William,

    I seem to have confused a couple of threads. I see now you don't already have a tech support incident started, so you would need to do that before you send in the log. They would, I'm sure give you an address to send it to.

    Flaky scroll wheel is one of those annoyances you have to learn to live with, but you can search for it and find some other info on this forum, and I believe also in the Adobe Knowledge Base.

    Dave is a very smart guy, and if he thinks this could be font related, you might want to go back and play with the fonts again. If you can, try to find another machine and copy those system fonts and use them to replace the ones in your fonts folder. You can copy yours to another location on your hard drive so you can get them back if you want to. You mentioned things were flaky when you had only the system fonts installed, but you weren't specific, so I don't know what was really going on. ID is much pickier about fonts than other apps, so it is possible that even a corrupt system font would not cause other problems, but show up in ID.
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #50

    the words Access Violation strongly suggest a corrupted or badly form
    font is gumming up the works.

    The term Access Violation in Windows is maybe the most common error message. You will get it anytime you try to access anything that is not there: a null pointer. So, as such it does not necessarily mean a font issue. (Although it could well be that there is a font issue involved here.)

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123