Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign crashes when running Index - Adobe Indesign Windows

Doent was originally created in PageMaker 7.0. Brought into InDesign. When I try to re-run the Index, the software freezes up (and sometimes crashes). Tried several different things. Finally deleted all of the original Index entries and added in about 10 entries. It still freezes up the software. Running InDesign CS2 on Windows XP SP2, with 6 Gigs ram. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign crashes when running Index

    dani_simmonds@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InDesign crashes when running Index

    I still need help with this.
    dani_simmonds@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    You could try exporting the file to INX (InDesign Interchange) and loading the created INX. Maybe some problem stuff left over from from PM is removed from the file.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I just tried that just now, but it still crashes when I try to generate the Index (and this being the one with only 10 entries). Any other suggestions?
    dani_simmonds@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I even tried your java script for removing all of the Index entries, in case something was bugged in one of them. Added in 10 fresh entries, and the software still freezes up when I try to run the Index.
    dani_simmonds@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I have left only two suggestions:

    1. You could export the main text where the index entries are in to Tagged Text and look if there is something weird in it.
    2. You could create a new doent with the same page setup. Tile the windows. Select all pages in the page palette in your old doent and drag and drop them to your new doc. Delete the first empty page. Maybe this cleans something.

  7. #7

    OK, now comes the dumb questions: How do I export into Tagged Text? I do not see that as an available format under the Export file types. Also, how do I tile the windows?

    So far, the Index will only work on ONE of my many doents, and THAT doent had over 1,500 entries.

    Could something be bugged in one of the Paragraph styles or something of that manner? That is the only obvious difference I have between the doc that works, and the ones that don't.
    dani_simmonds@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thank you so much! Created a new doent, and copied the old doc into it and deleted the extra page. That fixed the problem! Thank you again for your help!
    dani_simmonds@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Glad my suggestion worked.

  10. #10

    Teus. I once had a problem generating an index in InDesign 2. It would generate it, but would freeze when flowing it. I pasted the index into a text frame to small to flow very much hit control a, and exported the index as rtf. I like your solution better though.

    Harbs
    harbs@adobeforums.com Guest