Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign CS 2 will not start - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi I just got the CS2 Suite Premium, but I am having some problem with it. InDesign wont start - it freezes during startup and uses 99% of my CPU - after about 30 minutes it crashes. I have read that some users have 8 minutes startup. Does anyone know how to deal with this..? System: Window XP, Service Pack 2 2600 Mhz 512 Mb RAM /Tejs...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign CS 2 will not start

    Tejs_Rasmussen@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InDesign CS 2 will not start

    Try trashing your prefs. Hold down shift+alt+ctrl keys immediately after
    launching the app. When asked if you want to delete your preferences,
    click yes.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Bob - but no luck..

    It has now been running for about 10 minutes at 99% CPU - no changes..

  4. #4

    My system is pretty similar to the one described by Tejs Rasmussen.

    Except InDesign CS2 does actually start after spending more than 8 minuttes with the following message on the startup screen:

    Version 4.0
    Initializing the SING gaiji system...

    When that is done (!) - InDesign works like a dream. But the startup time is killing me.

    Looking forward to have that resolved.

    Cheers
    Torben Brams
    Torben_Brams@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I, too, am having a similar problem. A few days ago, after first uninstalling Adobe Creative Suite (the first version of CS), I then installed Adobe Creative Suite 2. InDesign CS2 simply will not open. All the other programs in the Creative Suite, however, open without any problems.

    In trying to open InDesign, it stalls when "Starting up Service Registry..." shows on the InDesign splash screen, and the following error message then comes up: "InDesign has encountered a problem and needs to close."

    I have uninstalled InDesign CS2 and reinstalled it, but it still will not open, and the same error mentioned above occurs.

    Does anyone have an idea how to solve this? Thanks!

    Deb
    Deb_Phillips@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Try trashing the ID preferences. Hold down ctrl+shift+alt keys
    immmediately after launching ID. When asked if you want to delete
    preferences, click yes.

    You must get those keys down FAST.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  7. #7

    I deleted InDesign's preferences immediately upon launching InDesign, but the program still would not open, in the same way I described earlier. I do notice that right when "Starting up Service Registry..." shows on the splash screen, there's a very quick flash that occurs behind the splash screen, as though another window is trying to open, but it goes away very quickly. The "flash" occurs right before the error messages comes up saying that InDesign needs to close.

    Any more thoughts on this issue?

  8. #8

    Yes, call Adobe Tech Support. All such calls associated with product installation problems are at no cost to you. They are in a much better position to assist you with THIS type of problem than any of us "experts" on this list.

    - Dov
    Dov Guest

  9. #9

    Speaking of
    "Initializing the SING gaiji system"

    is there any way of getting rid of this?

    I'm fairly sure I don't need it and goodness knows CS2 is slow enough starting up as it is.

    Rob
    Robert_Enns@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Just a guess: Choose the Configure Plug-ins command. (I work on a Mac, where it's under the InDesign menu--I'm not sure what menu that's under in Windows.) There is a SING.framework plug-in which you could disable.

    I believe that SING refers to a Japanese layout system.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I just got off the phone with an Adobe tech support person, and I wanted to report back in. It turns out there can be a problem with getting InDesign CS2 to open if you also have Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 4.1 installed on your PC.

    In order to get InDesign CS2 to open, I had to uninstall and reinstall ATM. Once that was done, InDesign would open! Of course, I lost my font sets in ATM, but I can deal with that. I would think this issue will be addressed in a future update.

    Meanwhile, hopefully this information will help others who are experiencing the same problem.

    Thanks, all.

  12. #12

    Interesting. I have ATM Deluxe 4.1 on both my machines with no issues at
    all. Hopefully Dov will be back to comment on this.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  13. #13

    Hi, Bob --

    Yes, the tech support person I spoke with mentioned that ATM was not always causing a problem with InDesign CS2, but that they are, nevertheless, seeing instances of this issue come up more and more.

  14. #14

    I seriously doubt that ATM Deluxe in and of itself was the cause of the problems seen. Like Bob, I have ATM Deluxe 4.1 installed on my systems and had no problems whatsoever installing and running InDesign 4. InDesign does not directly "talk" to ATM. On the other hand, it is possible that one or more of the AdobeFnt##.lst files used by ATM Deluxe as well as all other Adobe applications got corrupted and that the side effect of uninstalling and reinstalling ATM Deluxe (otherwise referred to as suffering from “Reinstallzheimers Disease”) was that these files got rebuilt.

    I have a call into my friends in the InDesign support organization to see what they know about this ... ;-)

    - Dov
    Dov Guest

  15. #15

    "Dov Isaacs" <com> wrote in message

    If you have any friends on the ATM development team, could you ask them to
    please do something to let us know ATM is alive and well? Some small
    upgrade, just so we know it's not an orphan? <g>

    Peggy, who loves her ATM

    Peggy Guest

  16. #16

    I am also having this problem. My CS 2 starts and remains open for up to a few minutes, but then crashes. I have uninstalled ATM 4.1 (not even reinstalled) and still with no joy. (Of course I have trashed preferences, reinstalled, uninstalled and reinstalled. Can't think of anything else apart from the fact that I have Hebrew language installed. Could this be a problem?

    Does ID CS 2 access plugins from ID CS?
    Raphael_Freeman@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    If you have uninstalled ATM 4.1, make sure you then run the ATM 4.1.2 patch available from Adobe's website. That restores Windows' ability to handle Type 1 fonts. That is most likely your problem.

    No, InDesign 4 does not access any InDesign 3 plug-ins.

    No, InDesign 4 has no problems with Hebrew support in Windows XP (I also have Hebrew installed)!

    - Dov
    Dov Guest

  18. #18

    well I didn't install the patch yet, but I did uninstall ALL my fonts. This fixed the problem, so I assume that I have a problematic font.
    Raphael_Freeman@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    same issue here.

    ATM deluxe?

    something about a 4.1.2 patch?

    Leon
    Leon_Sorokin@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    My startup of InDesign CS2 stops at “Starting up Service Registry…”, and NOTHING happens. Anyone else got this problem? Or perhaps a solutions for this ???
    Dan_Weibel@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast