Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign CS CE non-stop CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH - Adobe Indesign Windows

Sofware is orig., and OS is win2000 pro, or 2003 server or win2000 server. Any doc with litle more text crash indesign non-stop. With any updates situation is more tragic... This version indesign is total unusable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for bad language......

  1. #1

    Default InDesign CS CE non-stop CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH

    kajzica@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    If I remember InD is supposed to run as an application in a workstation, not in a server - under W2K sp3 or later.

    Then what are your other system specs? What RAM, what virtual memory? Please detail.

    rgrds
    George
    George_Bilalis@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    > This version indesign is total unusable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've been using it from a couple of months now, from a simple text doent
    to a full 196 page 4-color separated catalog and it still have to crash on
    me...

    Something about your computers configuration must be the culprit.

    P IV 2,4, 1 Gb DDR RAM, 120 Gb PATA Seagate Hd, italian Adobe CS Suite.
    > Sorry for bad language...
    You're welcome!

    :-)

    --
    Pepe
    Milano, Italy

    Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio Guest

  4. #4

    <George_Bilalisadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > If I remember InD is supposed to run as an application in a workstation,
    not in a server - under W2K sp3 or later.

    > Then what are your other system specs? What RAM, what virtual memory?
    Please detail.

    Mine is very stable and running on Win2K Server. Admittedly this is a SOHO
    network with only four PCs connected, but my workstation is the server. For
    the record, I am running the entire Creative Suite on the same server / PC.

    I'd be interested in the details of the crash: What conditions led to the
    crash? What type of crash (program freeze or BSOD)? How was recovery done
    (pull the plug or task manager end task)?

    xDsrtRat Guest

  5. #5

    [email]kajzicaadobeforums.com[/email] wrote in news:3bb4cfc1.-1webx.la2eafNXanI:
    > This version indesign is total unusable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yep. So unusable that I just completed two magazines in as many days in it.

    You might consider for a moment that if very few of the thousands of users
    are complaining, the fault is probably peculiar to your system.
    Jerry_Farnsworth@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    > Yep. So unusable that I just completed two magazines in as many days in
    it.

    With the CE version? Maybe it is a slightly other code base?

    Jens

    Jens Schulze Guest

  7. #7

    I am having the same problem. InDesignCS runs fine on my Mac, but on the other computer here, which is a PC it crashes all the time, right now I can't even launch it....
    Rosemary_Hack@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    In each and every case, you should cross-check your installation parameters including OS, fonts, drivers, e.tc.
    ID is a very stable application.

  9. #9

    Rosemary, just as a point of reference, I'm running ID on a generic PC with
    Windows 2000, and I've not restarted the machine OR ID since Monday. Yes,
    the same instance of the application has been open all week.

    So, your issue isn't a "it won't run on Windows" thing, rather it is a "this
    install of Windows (or hardware) is messed up" thing. This can happen on
    either platform.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    You probably have bad fonts. Remove all fonts. Windows will put back the ones you need. Then delete ID's preferences and try again. Since you've tried it on different OSs I would think you might be copying the same damaged font over.

    Bryce
    Bryce_Steiner@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    [email]Bryce_Steineradobeforums.com[/email] wrote in
    > You probably have bad fonts. Remove all fonts. Windows will put
    > back the ones you need.
    This is craziness. Do *not* remove all fonts from your system.
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    If I remember InD is supposed to run as an application in a workstation,
    not in a server - under W2K sp3 or later.

    At least under Win2K, anything that runs on a workstation (pro) version should also run on the server version. The server version has all the capabilities of the pro version. I suppose someone could code an application to check to see whether it was running on the server and refuse to run if it was, but I've never seen that.

    It also runs just fine on SP2, on which I've been running it for a year and a half.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    ID is a very stable application.

    On a standalone workstation or a stable network. A flaky network will cause InDesign to crash regularly.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Stu, you are correct. ID2.0.2 runs on sp2, it's CS that needs sp3 or later.

    Then it may run on a server, but a server is for running a number of services relevant to its clients. ID may be not stable under these conditions and to run properly it requires a number of features a server usually doesn't have (or need) like high resolution graphic adapters, e.tc. and efficiency focused to foreground tasks, like ID.

    If you need a workstation, what's the point to load it with a server OS?

  15. #15

    <Stu_Bloomadobeforums.com> wrote in message

    > If I remember InD is supposed to run as an application in a
    workstation,
    > not in a server - under W2K sp3 or later.
    >

    > At least under Win2K, anything that runs on a workstation (pro) version
    should also run on the server version. The server >version has all the
    capabilities of the pro version. I suppose someone could code an application
    to check to see whether it was >running on the server and refuse to run if
    it was, but I've never seen that.

    Norton Antivirus will not run on a Win2K server. It does does check and
    display a message to that effect. I got Symantec Antivirus (SAV) Smal
    Business Edition and everything was fine. In my case, it was worth it as SAV
    has a minumum of five client licenes included and that was less than five
    copies of Norton Antivirus.

  16. #16

    I've been running CS on SP2 since December with no problems. I suspect that CS was tested on SP3 and that is why Adobe specifies it in the CS doentation. If there features of ID CS that actually need SP3, apparently I haven't tried to use them. I'm also running Illustrator CS and Photoshop CS on the same box.

    I'm not advocating running an application on a server OS, just pointing out that as far as Win2K is concerned, the only difference in the server OS vs. the workstation OS is an internal switch that when turned on activates the server features. The code base of the two is identical. There's actually a hack floating around that purports to activate the switch and turn Pro into Server.

    We have an old workstation (333 MHz, 128MB) with Win2K server installed; I installed it when I was studying for the MCSE exams - which I never actually took - so that I could get some experience working with the multiple-server features of the OS. It's now in use as a workstation and runs a number of applications with no problems (though not ID or any of the other Adobe apps except Acrobat Reader).
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest