Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign CS Cyrillic Support? - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, I have a big problem trying to use Cyrillic fonts in In Design CS. I niticed that the fonts that are not Unicode have problems... Reading about that issue on the Net I saw that InDesign uses directly the unicode font as it is responsible for choosing the codepage... And if the font is old ttf not unicode one In Design can not load the codepage for cyrillic? I forgot to mention that when I choose non unicode font, InDesign Automaticaly switches to it's default font and it shows bulgarian letters but uses the Ariel preview on the screen. ...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign CS Cyrillic Support?

    Hi,

    I have a big problem trying to use Cyrillic fonts in In Design CS. I niticed that the fonts that are not Unicode have problems... Reading about that issue on the Net I saw that InDesign uses directly the unicode font as it is responsible for choosing the codepage... And if the font is old ttf not unicode one In Design can not load the codepage for cyrillic?

    I forgot to mention that when I choose non unicode font, InDesign Automaticaly switches to it's default font and it shows bulgarian letters but uses the Ariel preview on the screen. When I switch back to English the preview is ok and I see the font on the screen.

    Another interesting fact is that when I open a Quark file in InDesign which has the same font and cyrillic text, InDesign shows the font in cyr without a problem. The problem is only when I try to write something cyrillic in InDesign.

    I have a friend who installed the same InDesign CS set the languge properties the same way I did and it works at his place???

    Any Help?
    Vasil_Petrov@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InDesign CS Cyrillic Support?

    I'm confused, but as far as I know I can copy paste from Word in Cyrillic. I can also type in Cyrillic. The only time I see problems is when I generate an Index or TOC, it simply will not work. If you let Adobe know about these problems, the'll suggest you buy the InDesign CS Middle Eastern from WinSoft.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Vasko,

    Check your language settings at "Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced > ... language version of non-unicode programs...". It must be "Bulgarian". That's all.

    HTH
    Boyan
    Boyan_Mladenov@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks guys,

    It has something to do with the old style ttf fonts. My regional setings are Bulgarian so it`s not that settings... Some fonts work other dont`t...

    Thanks anyway,

    Vasko
    Vasil_Petrov@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Some fonts work other dont`t

    For best results, try getting your fonts from a reputable source. If you are going to be doing lots of this, your company should consider aquiring the ME version of ID CS.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    If you use a central europena version (CE) of indesin, check this file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS CE\Fonts\IntlFontDB.txt. There are explanations how to make your old cyrillic font to work. This is the same as it was in InDesign 2 CE.
    Dimitar_Zhekov@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thank you for correcting that Dimitar. <CE>
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest