Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign CS ME crashes - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi all! Here's my problem: I'm creating a magazine in ID CS ME (cause the magazine is in Hebrew). I created the first page (of 6), which currently includes 2 pictures and some text. When I exported it to PDF it worked just fine. Now I'm working on the second page. For now it contains only a simple square at the top of the page. When I export it as is to PDF - it works just fine, but when I add some line of text to the second page and try to export it - ID crashes. First I ...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign CS ME crashes

    Hi all!

    Here's my problem: I'm creating a magazine in ID CS ME (cause the magazine is in Hebrew). I created the first page (of 6), which currently includes 2 pictures and some text. When I exported it to PDF it worked just fine. Now I'm working on the second page. For now it contains only a simple square at the top of the page. When I export it as is to PDF - it works just fine, but when I add some line of text to the second page and try to export it - ID crashes. First I receive the following message from ID: "Pages with transparency will not include hyperlinks, bookmarks, movies, sounds, button items, or eBook text. If your pages require these features, click Cancel, and then select the Acrobat 5.0 export option." Currently my pages don't have any of these features, so I just click OK. Then it continues to export it and when it reaches the second page - ID crashes and I receive the following Windows error message: "InDesign.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." When I try to export it to Acrobat 5 - ID crashes immediately with the same Win. error message.

    Why it is happening? What seems to be the problem and how can I fix it?

    Thanks for your help!
    InGale@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InDesign CS ME crashes

    Which fonts are you using in this doent?

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    On the first page I use 2 fonts: the first is called WinSoft Pro and the second - BN Michal.
    On the second page I tried to use WinSoft Pro and Arial fonts, but ID keep crashing. When I delete the text on the second page - it exports everything just fine.
    InGale@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Try this: create a new doent. Tile the doent windows. Drag page 1 from the old doent to the new. See if in this new doent you can add a page with things on it on the next page.

  5. #5

    OK, I tried it... When I wrote in English on the second page - the PDF was exported as it is supposed to be, but when I wrote Hebrew - ID crashed, which is actually weired as I have a Heb. writing on the first page and was exported just fine.
    So what seems to be the problem and how can I fix it?

    Thank you for your help!
    InGale@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    You could try another Hebrew font. Maybe the font is the problem.

  7. #7

    InDesign ME is a product specially developed and supported by Winsoft under license from Adobe. I would most strongly recommend you contact Winsoft directly for support issues associated with that product since there are many Winsoft-specific differences between the ME and non-ME versions of the product.

    - Dov
    Dov Guest

  8. #8

    BN fonts have been known to cause problems. Use them with great caution!!! (You get what you pay for)
    harbs@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Dov,

    I'm not sure why you keep writing that, there are a lot of ME users on this forum.
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    He keeps writing that because it's the best advice.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    Fred,

    The reason why I “keep writing that” is that the ME versions of Adobe programs are significantly different than the non-ME versions and as such, most of us who regularly contribute advise on this and the Macintosh flavour of the forum cannot accurately give good advice in terms of diagnosing problems encountered with the ME versions. Most advice given here for the Adobe-supported InDesign versions is based on good “educated guesses;” any advice given here for the ME versions by anyone other than by advanced ME users wanders more into the territory of “speculation” at best.

    Your time is worth something. As such, if you have problems with ME version of an Adobe product and you value your time (and don't want to mess up your system, layout, etc.), it would make sense to go to a reliable source of information on the product. As part of its agreement with Adobe in terms of development and marketing of the ME products, Winsoft is also the primary source of support for these products. By contacting them first, you might be able to save yourself a significant amount of time and get a reliable response without using your system as a sandbox for speculation and experimentation.

    - Dov
    Dov Guest

  12. #12

    Dov,

    I agree with you if the OP had not written that they are using an ME product. However, if they say that explicitely there are a lot of ME users that can help them here on these forums. No sense in chasing them away.

    I bet Teus and Harbs can answer a lot of these questions much better than some of the customer service people at Winsoft. (I'm saying this from experience).
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    When the U2U Sysop gets back from vacation, I will discuss with him setting up a sub-forum for discussion of ME issues.

    - Dov
    Dov Guest

  14. #14

    That would be great :)
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Dov,

    When the U2U Sysop gets back from vacation, I will discuss with him setting
    up a sub-forum for discussion of ME issues.

    Maybe that will work, but I doubt it. I think people will keep posting here. And a lot of users of ID ME are also users of the 'normal' version. (I spend most of my time with ID CS2, only when I have Arabic or Hebrew texts, I use ID CS ME.)

    This is not an Adobe support forum, but a Adobe user to user forum. I don't see any problems for ME-users to post in this forum as long as they realize that Adobe is not responsible for the ME-version. I will try to help them as I do users of the 'normal' version. And if the other users don't have problems with this.

    As Fred correctly remarks, the OP made it clear from the start that he was using ID CS ME (and alas we can't say all users of the forum state the version they use so clearly). One would suppose that only ME-savvy people will respond to those messages.

  16. #16

    In terms of the font issue, simply change your fonts. For example, If you have the latest version of Dagesh installed on your computer, you will not be able to load InDesign CS 2 (English version).

    I'm not sure what the issue is, but not all fonts work with InDesign....
    Raphael_Freeman@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Not necessarily true. I have the latest version of Dagesh installed and have no trouble running the English version of InDesign 4.0.

    - Dov
    Dov Guest

  18. #18

    InGale - I've been having problems with the WinSoft font too;
    it made my CS ME crash all the time too.
    I now use Arial for my Arabic and Farsi texts. At first, InDesign still tended to crash and eventually I found out why: my paragraph settings weren't correct.
    Go to your Paragraph tools and check if the Hebrew (or any other right-to-left) text is set as right-to-left. If this is not the case, InDesign will crash regularly as soon as you tell it to do something (edit, print, etc) with the text.
    Heleen_Langeweg@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Then maybe you don't have the very latest then. As it happens, Galtech (which makes Dagesh) is on the same floor as my offices and I tried it twice. Unless their fonts are conflicting with other Hebrew fonts on my system…
    Raphael_Freeman@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Heleen and Ingale,
    Make sure you have the latest update of CS ME installed. They fixed a lot of bugs.
    harbs@adobeforums.com Guest