Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign CS Pantone Metallic Coated Swatches - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I'm using InDesign CS and I need to create a new Pantone Metalllic Coated Swatch, and I need it to print as a Spot Colour. InDesign doesn't have it as a default library and I can't import the Illustrator library either. How do you get around this?...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign CS Pantone Metallic Coated Swatches

    Vaughn_Winn@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InDesign CS Pantone Metallic Coated Swatches

    new swatch>name it PMS Metallic or whatever you like>choose some color values that appeal to your eye(or copy the values from a similar swatch in illustrator)>select the check box for 'spot'.

    or make a rectangle in illustrator, fill it with the color you want, then copy and paste the rectangle into indesign (make sure the swatch is set to 'spot' in illustrator) the swatch will magically appear in your swatch list.
    tman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Vaughn, this link contains Photoshop's solid libraries for ID and includes the metallics:

    <http://www.evansday.com/Pantone/PS8LibrariesforID.hqx>
    rob_day@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    InDesign CS2 has the metallic library -- not sure about CS1, but try the following:

    Swatch Palette>(upper left arrow)>New color swatch>color mode>select Pantone Metallic Coated library, and scroll for the color.
    J.I.M.@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    This question was asked previously, but the answer that solved it led to a no-longer existing link.

    QUESTION = I'm using InDesign CS and I need to create a new Pantone Metallic Coated Swatch, and I need it to print as a Spot Color. InDesign CS1 doesn't have it as a default library. How do you get around this?

    ANSWER FROM PREVIOUS POST IN FORUM = This link contains Photoshop's solid libraries for ID and includes the metallics:

    <http://www.evansday.com/Pantone/PS8LibrariesforID.hqx>

    I did a Google search for Pantone Metallic, but nothing helpful came up. Anyone know what I can do? Would be much appreciated.
    Caitlin_Doherty@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Go into Illustrator CS which does have the color.

    Apply the color to an object.

    Look at the breakdown of the color.

    Write the numbers down.

    Create the color in InDesign.

    You do know, however, that the breakdown of the color is meaningless for mettallic colors?
    Sandee_Cohen@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    or create a swatch of a similar look, name it the correct metallic pantone number, make it a spot colour.
    Tom_L@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Caitlin,
    I have a new URL, you can find the Pantone libraries here:

    <http://www.zenodesign.com/Pantone/>

    Rob
    rob Guest

  9. #9

    You don't need the new swatches or the CMYK breakdowns if printing as a true spot color as you mention. As Tom mentioned, just make your own spot color--technically, it does not matter what it looks like on screen, since monitors can't really show metallic inks accurately anyway.
    David Guest

  10. #10

    The PS libraries are just a convenience. They are good if you want the display of the color to match between the two programs. Plus they are Lab definitions, which can give a significantly better preview than CMYK defined swatches.
    rob Guest