Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign CS Problems... - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have been running InDesign for roughly a year or so now and all was going great. Sure I have a few issues with wishing the toolbar were more like PM 7.0 (which I realize I can fix that with "plug-ins / add ons). BUT I am now having issues with IDcs...these issues started around 4-5 weeks ago...BUT I need to find out what is causing the issues so I can get them fixed...Our company moved from a NOVEL server to Windows server 2003. Understand that I am operating IDcs from my local HD Windows 2000 on a Dell PC. ...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign CS Problems...

    I have been running InDesign for roughly a year or so now and all was going great. Sure I have a few issues with wishing the toolbar were more like PM 7.0 (which I realize I can fix that with "plug-ins / add ons). BUT I am now having issues with IDcs...these issues started around 4-5 weeks ago...BUT I need to find out what is causing the issues so I can get them fixed...Our company moved from a NOVEL server to Windows server 2003. Understand that I am operating IDcs from my local HD Windows 2000 on a Dell PC. Some of the files I am working in are on the server, and others are kept on my local....
    My question is....is it coincidence or not that these issues I am having is caused be the new server that was installed? Because before that I had NO PROBLEMS!!!!

    The issues I am seeing are...
    -LOCK UPS (Freezing)
    -IDcs will just CLOSE
    -If going from, say Photoshop back to ID, ID will close
    -Strange Errors with a bunch of numbers in the errors (sorry, I do not have the numbers handy to share with you, BUT I am starting to record them from here on out for reference.

    Any thoughts, Is it a server issue with Windows Server 2003????

    Thanks Scott
    Scott_Brinkman@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InDesign CS Problems...

    the toolbar were more like PM 7.0 (which I realize I can fix that with
    "plug-ins / add ons).

    This can also be fixed by learning how to use your shortcut/hot keys.

    Is it a server issue with Windows Server 2003?

    It could be but you should check with Adobe support. AFAIK ID only works under 2K and XP environments.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Scott,

    If anything the server switch should improve performance. Do you have
    any issues with files that are being worked on locally?

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    >It could be but you should check with Adobe support. AFAIK ID only >>works
    under 2K and XP environments. I understand that portion (I am running
    IDcs on local windows 2000 PC) I am wonderinging if the servers is causing
    something though.....

    Scott_Brinkman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Bob, Thanks for the reply, Yes the issues are present with both local files and serever stored files....
    Scott_Brinkman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    any other thoughts
    Scott_Brinkman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Just got closed out of IDcs with this error...

    InDesign.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x4fca4066" referenced memory at "0x00000000". That could not be "read".

    Click on OK to terminate the program.
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program.
    Scott_Brinkman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Scott, just fishing here, but sometimes problems like this can be caused by hardware. Any chance you've got a bad RAM chip or a weakening power supply?

    It's my guess that the new server installation coinciding with the onset of your problem is just that...a coincidence.
    John Mensinger Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks John, But would not "bad RAM" affect my other programs????
    Scott_Brinkman@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    [email]Scott_Brinkmanadobeforums.com[/email] wrote in news:3bb3f373.7webx.la2eafNXanI:
    > Thanks John, But would not "bad RAM" affect my other programs????

    Depends how heavily they lean on the RAM. Photoshop and IndyCS are
    particularly bad about it. Having both open at once is a sure way to stress
    test your system.
    Jerry_Farnsworth@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Addressing errors can also be the result of a bad font. Fonts are very complicated data structures/algorithms. A poorly constructed one will foul up an application like InDesign that depends heavily on them not being poorly constructed. Meanwhile, most other applications expect very little of fonts and will not run into the same problems.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Thanks Dave, How does one find out if there is a bad font on the system???
    Scott_Brinkman@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    The only way I know is to take them all (except for the few that can't be removed) out and see if the problem goes away. If so, then put them back in a few at a time until it happens again.

  14. #14

    Thanks for the advice Dave. Over the weekend I deleted every front......still getting the same errors....any other thoughts.....
    Scott_Brinkman@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Having an extensive background with Novell networks, I would suggest that the Novell client has a strong collection of network reliability configuration settings that may have been keeping your InDesign from having network timeout issues.

    Mapped drives can create problems for fussy programs. Check with your network administrator to have him play around with some of those network client options. If that doesn't help, he can then turn to the server to optimize it.

    I do not believe it is a problem with your physical computer at all; however, you may want to also ask your network administrator what other computer patches were stuffed onto your computer as the network upgrade was rolled out.

    I hope this helps.

    Sincerely yours,

    Aaron Malcom
    Aaron_Malcom@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    This can also be fixed by learning how to use your shortcut/hot keys

    Poppy.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Scott,

    when they did change the server, they may also made some changes in your local machine client. Instead of a Novell client, you now needs to run a Windows network gateway. Maybe this could cause this issue and would be checked with your network support.

    Another try is to reset your preferences within ID. To do this, just hold down the Shift key while loading the application.

    DTP programs always need very well-tuned machines because they do a final job, incorporating files from other apps, as Photoshop or Illustrator, with fonts, text and some vector geometries you can design locally. Add to this transparencies, layers and the fine typographic controls ID has and you have a really "delicate" tool which will "feel" any problem your machine could have.

    Typical ID issues are related to graphic board, RAM memory and fonts. Windows registry, processor setup and electric stability are also sources of headache.
    Igor_Freiberger@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Scott,

    Did you update IDCS to 3.01 at the same time they change the server?

    Regards
    Boyan
    Boyan_Mladenov@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Poppy

    How so? It was just a suggestion I thought could be helpful.
    I happen to be a shortcut key user so that's why I don't need the toolbar. Even though I have it I don't use it because it's just another thing that I personally don't need. It can get in the way of my workspace a little bit so I prefer not to use it.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    > How so?

    Because it doesn't fix the problem.