Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign CS2 - excessive size of exported PDF - Adobe Indesign Windows

A problem I just ran into, and managed to resolve, though not in as neat way as I would wish -- perhaps there are better ways? Might perhaps be of use to others with the same problem. I recently switched over to CS2 for some downloadable e-books. Most are small, but one fairly large text (800kb when exported from ID CS) ballooned to about 2 Mb with the new ID version. This is a problem for downloaders on modems. These books are plain text -- they contain no images or other obviously large objects: just text and fonts. It turns ...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign CS2 - excessive size of exported PDF

    A problem I just ran into, and managed to resolve, though not in as neat way as I would wish -- perhaps there are better ways? Might perhaps be of use to others with the same problem.

    I recently switched over to CS2 for some downloadable e-books. Most are small, but one fairly large text (800kb when exported from ID CS) ballooned to about 2 Mb with the new ID version. This is a problem for downloaders on modems. These books are plain text -- they contain no images or other obviously large objects: just text and fonts.

    It turns out that the CS2-exported PDF file ends with about 600kb worth of empty object references, i.e. lines containing just:

    0000000000 65535 f

    These are of no use at all -- they just take up space. I managed to get rid of them by going through Distiller 6 -- saving them as .ps and then distilling to .pdf. This brought the file size back to what I expected it to be.
    Anders_Thulin@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InDesign CS2 - excessive size of exported PDF

    I have never seen these lines. I think there must be something in the doent that explains why it exports empty object references.

    The second way you describe is essentially the same as printing to the Adobe PDF printer. The differences between the two methods are discussed many times in the forum. Printing will almost always result in a smaller file size, but at the expense of loosing information (other font encoding, no layers, no transparency, etc.).

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Teus de Jong notes:

    I have never seen these lines. I think there must be something in the
    doent that explains why it exports empty object references.

    Perhaps there is -- the fact that they're not part of the free list suggests that they may be special in some way. But as there seems to be no way of saying what doent feature will produce such line, it's rather beyond me to attack the problem from that aspect. It's not restricted to this particular book -- I find it in all my ID doents I have checked.

    All were converted from CS1 format (and many indirectly from just about any previous ID version I can remember), and that just may have aculated some kind overhead. But I also find those lines in a freshly created doented in which I just paste pure text without any formatting, and export straight to PDF.

    It's not a big problem, unless the size of the PDF files is a concern.
    Anders_Thulin@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Acrobat has the "Reduce File Size" in the file menu.

    Did this or would this do the trick?
    Fred_Stewart@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Fred Stewart asked:

    Acrobat has the "Reduce File Size" in the file menu. Did this or would
    this do the trick?

    Not in Acrobat 6 -- don't know about later versions.
    Anders_Thulin@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Not in Acrobat 6 -- don't know about later versions.

    Hmm.. our Acrobat 6 (on an older machine) has the REDUCE FILE SIZE function in the file menu. Ours is the "pro" version so that may be the difference, but Version 6 does have this functionality.
    Fred_Stewart@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Fred,

    Did you ever see these lines

    0000000000 65535 f

    Anders refers to? I have done several tests and looked at several pdf's on my machine, but I can;t find a single one of them.

    I'm curious what in InDesign would produce these lines.

  8. #8

    Teus

    Did you ever see these lines

    0000000000 65535 f

    Anders refers to? I have done several tests and looked at several >pdf's
    on my machine, but I can;t find a single one of them.

    I can't find any either. Must be a font issue of some sort (old or custom built font?). Sounds like they are just text files. I would guess (emphasis on guess) that this is a font issue.

    * ** Maybe Anders could let us know what fonts are in use, and if any graphics are in use and what type of graphic. ***

  9. #9

    Guys: Why don't you recommend the PDF Optimizer to reduce the file size. It's in both 6.0 and 7.0. I've read in the Acrobat forum that some have had bad results with the Reduce File Size feature.

    Anders: Where do you see the 0000000000 65535 f? What feature in InDesign did you select?
    Janet_A._Thompson@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Fonts, Graphics?????

    Still no answer on what fonts and what type of graphics are in the file.

    This is key, don't you think?
    Fred_Stewart@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Sorry for not responding more quickly -- other things have had precendence for a while

    Anders: Where do you see the 0000000000 65535 f? What feature in InDesign
    did you select?

    After converting a CS1 book (consisting of 13 parts) to CS2, size of PDF file more than doubled (from about 800kb to more than 2Mb). Book is pure text, no graphics whatsoever. Typface is Utopia Std (opticals), Utopia Titling Caps (Type 1) and Hastings, a Type1 chess diagram typeface. Export options are Acrobat 6 compatibility, Optimize for Fast Web, and Create Tagged PDF, no PDF standard, exactly the same I used in CS1 (the export setup is based on 'High-quality print'). No colour anywhere. Doing the same thing in CS1 (with backup files) still works as before -- 800kb PDF file. So it's a CS2 thing.

    Preflighting probably doesn'y make much sense in such a simple doent (just text), but anyway there are no problems reported.

    Only ID update I find listed is the Central European Dictionary Update, but as this particular book uses plain US English everywhere, I doubt that that is relevant.

    When I noted the file size, I opened the PDF file in a text editor (yes, I'm looking at the raw PDF file), and looked it over. I thought perhaps these old redundant graphical context objects that appeared in ... 1.2, was it? ... might have returned -- but a check of the xref table explained it: all these lines I've mentioned are found at the end of it -- I suspect some kind of optimization may have renumbered the 'real' objects, leaving all these 'non-objects' behind, untouched.

    I've since discovered that turning off Fast Web optimizations gets rid of this exact problem -- instead I get an xref table containing a very well-populated free list (though of about the same size as before), but I suspect a run through Acrobat 6 handles that better. (not tried). If I export to Acrobat 4 compatbility (PDF 1.3) instead of Acrobat 6 (PDF 1.5), the problem has almost gone away -- I'm down to 900kb, and Acrobat reduces that to 800k in the next step. I suspect something involving PDF 1.5 ... Exporting to Acrobat 7 (PDF 1.6) also works -- resulting file size 850kb.

    No option in Acrobat 6 Pro (either Save reduced Size or PDF optimizations) got size of that 2Mb file down to where it used to be -- I tried the lot.

    I've been tweaking a bit too many options to be 100% certain I still
    have the exact setup has I used to, but the PDF Export with the same export Setup still produces a 2Mb+ file, so it's probably not extremely sensitive to settings.

    Well, I've found at least three ways around the problem:

    1. Print to Adobe PDF

    2. Export to Acrobat 4 compatibility, and optimize using Acrobat 6

    3. Export to Acrobat 7 compatibility.
    Anders_Thulin@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Typface is Utopia Std (opticals), Utopia Titling Caps (Type 1) and Hastings,
    a Type1 chess diagram typeface.

    And just in case someone suspects that Hastings is at fault, I better explain that when I create a default doent (using default font - Times New Roman OT), place a book-sized text, and export it as already described, the xref table still gets filled with these empty object references: there are about 450 'real' object references, and around 6000 of these empty ones.

    I conclude that it's not doent or font dependent.
    Anders_Thulin@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I think I have finally pinned this down. I succeeded in creating a PDF that show all those lines. It is an apparently impossible combination of options that creates them. If you check the option 'Create Tagged PDF', tags will be created for all parts of a file that are recognized. This option is intended used for exporting an XML structure in an Indesign file to PDF. The result is a lot of lines with a number, followed by 65535 f.

    If you combine this option with 'Optimize for Fast Web View', the numers created for the first option are all overwritten with 0000000000; the result is a lot of lines with
    0000000000 65535 f.

    So to prevent this, uncheck 'Create Tagged PDF'.

  14. #14

    Teus observed:

    It is an apparently impossible combination of options that creates them.

    I think I'll put that on my CV: 'Does impossible things with InDesign -- but can't recover without help.'

    So to prevent this, uncheck 'Create Tagged PDF'.

    Works perfectly -- thanks for the help!
    Anders_Thulin@adobeforums.com Guest