Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign CS2 (Windows) crashes consistentlywhen deleting an object - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hello helpful folks, I am somewhat frustrated, so please bear with me. I only recently purchased the Creative Suite 2, and while most of the applications are working (not bug-free, mind you), InDesign CS2 is basically unusable. To make a long story short, when I first open or create a file, everything seems to be fine. That is, until I try to delete something. Any deletion of an object causes the application to crash, bringing up the "Send Report" Windows dialogue box. This hardly seems right. However, I went through all the typical solutions just to see if maybe it ...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign CS2 (Windows) crashes consistentlywhen deleting an object

    Hello helpful folks,

    I am somewhat frustrated, so please bear with me. I only recently purchased the Creative Suite 2, and while most of the applications are working (not bug-free, mind you), InDesign CS2 is basically unusable. To make a long story short, when I first open or create a file, everything seems to be fine. That is, until I try to delete something. Any deletion of an object causes the application to crash, bringing up the "Send Report" Windows dialogue box.

    This hardly seems right. However, I went through all the typical solutions just to see if maybe it was easily fixed. Deleting the preferences did not help, nor did completely reinstalling the software. Nor am I running Adobe Type Manager, as some internet posts have blamed. Regardless of what I do, InDesign consistently crashes when the "Delete" key is pressed.

    I could rant and rave further, but I really don't want to act like a ... I really just want to find out how to get the program to work at least as well as InDesign CS. In the meantime, I'm stuck using the older version.

    Any insight would be so appreciated!

    Thanks in advance, everybody.

    - Josh Korwin
    Josh_Korwin@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Does this happen with all files or just some? For those that it's a
    problem with, try exporting to InDesign Interchange (INX) and then
    opening that file back up in InDesign.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks for responding so quickly.

    Not only does it happen with all files, it happens with new files as well. Starting a new file will yield the same results as opening an existing file.

    I should add that it isn't just a matter of pressing the "delete" key. Selecting an object of any type and then clicking on the "Edit" menu, or performing pretty much any operation that would fall under the "Edit" menu, such as Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, etc., results in the same behavior: about a second and a half of delay, and then the program crashes and asks to send a feedback report to Microsoft. (Makes me wonder why Adobe doesn't install their own feedback agent, such as that of Mozilla Firefox, to figure out how to better develop their software).

    That seems to be the only issue with the software so far. The problem is, it's a tremendous issue. Without the ability to delete, cut, copy, paste, etc., the program is basically useless. Why the heck would something as integral as the "Edit" menu, and its functions, be causing such consistent errors?

    In case anybody is interested, I was able to get some sort of XML file of the error out of the Microsoft "Send Report" dialogue box.

    I've posted it here:
    InDesign.xml <http://www.threestepsahead.com/temp/indesign.xml>

    Thanks again... I'm really hoping that this will somehow get solved. I plan to call Adobe tomorrow and see if their tech support people can be of any help, but I do generally find user forums to be the richest source of information...

    - Josh
    Josh_Korwin@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    It's a longshot but turn your hardware acceleration down to zero. If
    that fixes it, you've got a video driver problem and it needs to be udated.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    Gave it a go... but no luck. Since my system is generally pretty darn stable, especially with all of my other Adobe applications, this really seems to be something about the InDesign code itself. I'm going to give Adobe a call right now and see what they say... I'll be reporting back shortly!

    - Josh
    Josh_Korwin@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Have you tried trashing your prefs?

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    Did that too! No change whatsoever.
    Josh_Korwin@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Just to follow up:

    The Adobe rep guided me through uninstalling the software under my Administrator account, including deleting a number of files manually that had not been deleted during uninstallation. I then installed the software again, under Administrator, and it works now. Something must have been corrupt during the original install, but it wouldn't go away through standard uninstallation!
    Josh_Korwin@adobeforums.com Guest