Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign Locked Files - HELP - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I have an InDesigin CS2 file that is locked and I cannot unlock it no matter what I try. I beleive the file was created by a former designer that created the file on her home computer and then saved it to my work system. I'd have her fix it but she no longer works here anymore and is out of the country! When I go to the GET INFO screen, the "Locked" option is not highlighted, I cannot uncheck the box. The OWERSHIPS and PERMISSIONS section says "You can only read" but even when I check the file on ...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign Locked Files - HELP

    I have an InDesigin CS2 file that is locked and I cannot unlock it no matter what I try. I beleive the file was created by a former designer that created the file on her home computer and then saved it to my work system. I'd have her fix it but she no longer works here anymore and is out of the country!

    When I go to the GET INFO screen, the "Locked" option is not highlighted, I cannot uncheck the box. The OWERSHIPS and PERMISSIONS section says "You can only read" but even when I check the file on her work computer, it says the same thing.

    I need to somehow unlock this file inorder to delete it from my system. Trying to simply drag the file to the trash does not work either, I get a message saying the file is locked and cannot be deleted.

    Anyone know a quick fix to unlock the file so I can finally be rid of it?
    RacheleCM@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InDesign Locked Files - HELP

    If you hold the Option key while dragging the file to the Trash Can, that usually overrides the "locked" feature and allows you to delete it.
    Diana Guest

  3. #3

    I just tried that and it still gives me the same message "The operation could not be complete because the "JOB.indd" is locked."

    Thanks for the help though! Any other ideas that might work?
    RacheleCM@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    You can also use a utility like iEmpty (it's free). Get it through the link:

    <http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14735>
    Tom Guest

  5. #5

    When you do Get Info on the file, you said the Ownership & Permissions indicate "read only." Can you change that to "read and write" by picking it from the drop menu?
    Diana Guest

  6. #6

    Disregard my previous post. Obviously, if you can't get the file into the Trash, iEmpty won't help.
    Tom Guest

  7. #7

    I can change any of the Access (Owner, Group, Others) to either Read Only or Read & Write. It currently says Read & Write but it still won't let me uncheck the "Locked" button at the top of the Get Info screen, right underneath "Staionary Pad". Am I missing something?

    Thanks again for the help guys!
    RacheleCM@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I'm back. Go to my first post for information, and download iEmpty. Start it up, select the right-hand-side section (User-Select). Click the right side button "SuperRemove". Select "File" in the next dialog. And finally, find and select the file you want to get rid of, in the following dialog. Your file should disappear completely.
    Tom Guest

  9. #9

    Try this if Tom's doesn't work. Now that you have it as Read & Write, click on the Details underneath the Read & Write area. Make sure that you are the Owner. If not, click on the lock and change it to you. See if that makes the "Locked" option available to you.
    Diana Guest

  10. #10

    Also, you have to close the window after you change ownership to yourself. Then open Get Info again, and the "Locked" checkbox will hopefully be available to you.
    Diana Guest

  11. #11

    If you still can't delete it using the suggestions above, you might want to try Terminal. In case you haven't tried it yet, it's located inside Utilities subfolder in Applications folder.

    Let's say that your Mac carries the name My MacPro and you are logged in under the username Rachele and you want to delete a file located in your desktop with the filename StubbornFile.indd.

    When you activate terminal, you will see in your Terminal window something like this: My-MacPro:~ rachele$

    Right after rachele$, type sudo rm, put a space in between, drag the stubborn file into the Terminal window, then press Return key.

    You should get something like this:

    My-MacPro:~ rachele$sudo rm /Users/rachele/StubbornFile.indd

    Having press the Return key, you will be prompted to put your password. Once you give the correct password, you will be asked whether or not you want to override the locked file. Just type the letter "y" to confirm, then press Return key.
    Arnold_German@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    thanks guys but nothing seems to work. The iEmpty was the closest but it asked me for an administrator password which I thought I was given the correct one. But we've been making changes lately and something must have gotten changed without me knowing (ARGH!)

    So I'm gonna check with my Mac Tech Guy and see what he says. Maybe all I need is that (correct) password and iEmpty will work.

    Thanks again! I really appreciate it!! I'll let you know what happens!
    RacheleCM@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Could the original file have been created with a demo version of ID? I seem to remember that you can't open demo files with other versions of ID. I may be way off base though.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Demo files are fine. It's files from beta copies that can't be opened in
    final releases.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  15. #15

    But they should be deletable, no, unless they keep the lock file internally?
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    UPDATE: I FINALLY was able to delete the file! I had to have our Mac Tech guy come down to basically access the server and trash it from there (which only took like 5 seconds LOL). Anyways, its gone now so I can move on! Thank you again to everyone for your ideas! I really appreciate the help! If I run into another issue, I know where to come for help!! :)
    RacheleCM@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Hi Rachele,

    Glad to hear your problem's been solved. You did not tell us that your file was on a server. No wonder the solutions we gave you wouldn't work.
    Arnold_German@adobeforums.com Guest