Professional Web Applications Themes

Indesign Newspaper Question - Adobe Indesign Windows

I work at a small newspaper who is currently using Pagemaker 7.0 for production. This summer we are looking to switch to Indesign CS and I was curious if anybody had any input on how we would go about setting up our templates. We work in two page spreads excluding the front and back pages, because we have multiple people working on the paper at one time and need to be able to switch back and forth between users easily. One problem that we find irritating in Pagemaker is the inability to have a text flow between two doents. Is ...

  1. #1

    Default Indesign Newspaper Question

    I work at a small newspaper who is currently using Pagemaker 7.0 for production. This summer we are looking to switch to Indesign CS and I was curious if anybody had any input on how we would go about setting up our templates. We work in two page spreads excluding the front and back pages, because we have multiple people working on the paper at one time and need to be able to switch back and forth between users easily. One problem that we find irritating in Pagemaker is the inability to have a text flow between two doents. Is there any way of setting up our templates in InDesign that will enable us to have separate spreads (so we can have multiple people work on different pages) but still link text in between spreads?
    I apologize if this is confusing.
    I appreciate any input.

    Thanks in advance,

    Eric Thompson
    Eric_M._Thompson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Indesign Newspaper Question

    We've purchased InCopy along with InDesign so that our wruters can edit copy
    while the designers are laying out the page. We also have the Creative
    Suite, which is bundled with Version Cue to enable multiple users of
    doents... although we've yet to actually put it to use...

    <Eric_M._Thompsonadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > I work at a small newspaper who is currently using Pagemaker 7.0 for
    production. This summer we are looking to switch to Indesign CS and I was
    curious if anybody had any input on how we would go about setting up our
    templates. We work in two page spreads excluding the front and back pages,
    because we have multiple people working on the paper at one time and need to
    be able to switch back and forth between users easily. One problem that we
    find irritating in Pagemaker is the inability to have a text flow between
    two doents. Is there any way of setting up our templates in InDesign that
    will enable us to have separate spreads (so we can have multiple people work
    on different pages) but still link text in between spreads?
    > I apologize if this is confusing.
    > I appreciate any input.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Eric Thompson

    Dennis Gordon Guest

  3. #3

    One doent, one person. No text flow between doents.

    Simon Warner Guest

  4. #4

    You can always break the total of your newspaper in to sections and divide those per staff members.

    Andrew
    Andrew_da_Smith@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I worked on a monthly that was laid out in Quark (tho that's beside the point - CS is far superior from what I can see) and I would say that one doc per person is the way to go. A flat-plan will change for each issue (cos of advertising usually) so just set up your basic 2/3/4 col page templates and keep each section of the publication as individual doents, feeding from the same style sheets, colour libraries etc. Obviously you will have to manually alter page numbers, dates etc for each issue - but that's the nature of the beast.

    Ive never used text flow between two doents (or indeed that you could do this) but I can forsee problems with this so I'd agree and say avoid.

    The CS product family is all you'll ever need for paper. Indeed many broadsheets are downsizing to popular sized format and using CS to pdf to plates.
    simon_biddell@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your input.
    Eric_M._Thompson@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    You may also want to check out InCopy which adds more functionality for newspaper layout
    Christine_Krof_Shock@adobeforums.com Guest