Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign not accessing all fonts!!! - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have InDesign CS 3.01 and Adobe Font Folio Open Type Edition installed on my machine and I have noticed that when I use the Helevetica LT Std font, InDesign cannot see all the variations and as a result I do not have access to 4 of the 21 fonts in that family. I thought this was a glitch so I removed the font completely from the computer, rebooted and then reinstalled the font using ATM Deluxe 4.1 and the font from the CD. Still no luck. Curiously, there are no problems with displaying all variations of this font in ...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign not accessing all fonts!!!

    I have InDesign CS 3.01 and Adobe Font Folio Open Type Edition installed on my machine and I have noticed that when I use the Helevetica LT Std font, InDesign cannot see all the variations and as a result I do not have access to 4 of the 21 fonts in that family.

    I thought this was a glitch so I removed the font completely from the computer, rebooted and then reinstalled the font using ATM Deluxe 4.1 and the font from the CD. Still no luck. Curiously, there are no problems with displaying all variations of this font in Illustrator CS or Photoshop CS --- the problem is only with InDesign CS.

    Helvetica LT Std has 21 variations but the ones that InDesign cannot see are the most basic: Regular, Italic, Bold, and Bold Italic.

    Here is a screenshot of what I mean:

    I don't know how to access these fonts now. Adobe can you help!?!?
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InDesign not accessing all fonts!!!

    Two thoughts:

    (1) Do you have any other versions of Helvetica on your machine, e.g.,
    TrueType or Type 1?

    (2) Search for all "AdobeFnt*.lst" files and delete them.
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    No, no other versions. Almost all my fonts are now OpenType and the only thing close to this that I have is Helvetica Neue LT Std.

    Also, I found many AdobeFnt*.lst files in my computer but I am apprehensive about deleting them... what are they and would removing them harm the applications that have them in their subfolders?
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    A new file will be generated. It's like trashing prefs in ID or Photoshop.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Ok... well I deleted all of those lst files. And the same thing happened. Just those 4 variations are not showing up.

    I haven't seen this with any other fonts (so far) in InDesign CS.

    Maybe someone else can try this in InDesign CS (assuming you have the fonts from FontFolio). Robert -- do you work for Adobe? If you do, you would certainly have access... and could test this easily.
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I'm a forum host, but I don't work for Adobe. I don't have that font so
    I can't help. But in case someone can, which four variations of the font
    are missing?

  7. #7

    The fonts are there. They're just not where you expect them to be. The four missing weights are down the list in the Cyrillic section.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Well I'll be!

    You are right... that's the weirdest thing. Why are they showing up down there? In the other Adobe apps, they are together with the main font group.

    At least I can use these now that I know where they are but geez -- what a terrible place for these to be!! Any way to get these to appear in the same menu?? An InDesign option maybe?
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I'm having the same problem, only it's with Arial...
    Brad_Thomas@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Dave -- how did you know to look there? Is there a certain rule that says that some fonts will appear in the Cyrillic section? Also, do you know why this wouldn't be the case in other Adobe apps and is only the case in InDesign?

    Does anyone know how to changes this behavior so that I can see all of the Helvetica LT Std variations together?
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I ran into this a few months back. It's part of what I call Helvetica Hell. It's worse on the Mac thanks to Apple producing different Helvetica fonts with exactly the same name.

    I was hoping that Helvetica LT Std would solve those problems once and for all, only for this to happen.

  12. #12

    Sounds like fun... what I don't understand is why this doesn't happen in other Adobe apps. As far as I can tell, this seems like something Adobe could fix -- for Windows and MAC apps.
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Dov and T Phinney addressed this issue back in this thread: Dov Isaacs "Fonts missing in Character list" 1/13/04 5:22pm </cgi-bin/webx?13.2ccf5174/17>

    Hope that helps.

    Alan
    Alan_Claytor@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Interesting,

    I hadn't realized this had been discussed earlier. But one thing no one has discussed is that in the other Adobe apps, this font categorization issue is not a problem. For example, in Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS, I see all the Helvetica LT Std styles together.

    My main question then is, if those 2 apps can see everything in one set, why can't InDesign? That seems like a simple programing changes.

    Alternatively, why can the typography group simply rebuild the fonts that have the "Cyrillic" styles currently so that InDesign can recognize everything in one group???

    Maybe Thomas Phinney could shed some light? Thomas, are you out there?
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I hadn't realized this had been discussed earlier. But one thing no one
    has discussed is that in the other Adobe apps, this font categorization
    issue is not a problem. For example, in Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS,
    I see all the Helvetica LT Std styles together.

    My main question then is, if those 2 apps can see everything in one set,
    why can't InDesign? That seems like a simple programing changes.

    While Adobe has tried over time to make its applications more integrated, it's still a "work in progress." Each of them uses the same underlying core technology, but the implementation is carried out by different sets of project managers and engineers.

    If you read the other thread referenced, you'll see that Thomas said that Adobe is definitely aware of the limitations in the font menus. The algorithms for organizing font menus (or for calling out styles correctly with key commands) definitely need more work.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest