Professional Web Applications Themes

indesign not printing correctly to large format printer - Adobe Indesign Windows

put this up in the creative suite forum, however no one has replied, so i'll give it a whirl here... hello, i'm trying to print an A0+ file from indesign to a HP 800 designjet printer (non-PS) and i'm getting the right side of the poster that's not printing. the roll is 915 mm wide, and the file is 851 (5 marge +841+ 5 marge). i was thinking that it was only an indesign problem, however i've got the same problem with illustrator, and acrobat pro. i've got the latest HP drivers, XP is up to date, i've tried recreating ...

  1. #1

    Default indesign not printing correctly to large format printer

    put this up in the creative suite forum, however no one has replied, so i'll give it a whirl here...

    hello, i'm trying to print an A0+ file from indesign to a HP 800 designjet printer (non-PS) and i'm getting the right side of the poster that's not printing. the roll is 915 mm wide, and the file is 851 (5 marge +841+ 5 marge). i was thinking that it was only an indesign problem, however i've got the same problem with illustrator, and acrobat pro. i've got the latest HP drivers, XP is up to date, i've tried recreating a number of test files, however i'm still getting the same results. it's as if the output can't print larger than 669mm instead of the 900 or so that it should. printing from other, non-adobe products, works just fine. any ideas?
    ixo@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I have heard that Adobe products stop sending valid data to Windows (non-postscript drivers) after a certain size. However, I'm not sure what the sizing limitations are.

    I am printing an E-size (34"x44") page from Adobe Reader to a non-PS Windows Driver at 400dpi and 1-bit resolution. It prints on the 34" roll as expected, but only about 40-41" of the length prints, and the remaining few inches are blank. The sheet size is always correct. If we change the driver's dpi, the entire drawing prints, which leads me to believe that Adobe only creates a certain number of pixels.

    If we print to a PS or HPGL2 driver, the output is as expected.

    Has anyone else experienced this?

    IXO, if you change the DPI, does the drawing print correctly? Are you missing data at the trail edge when it exits the printer? Is there ever a stray 'line' drawn from the last pixel of data back up to the starting corner of the page?

    ~B
    Robert_Knob@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    hello robert,

    this is all very interesting, and seems to be an accurate synopsis of the problem, however our HP 800 uses HP GL/2, whereas you said that that worked for you. we have the choice between HP GL/2 and CALS/G4 in the printer setup language options. i'm unable to change the HP's resolution in the setup dialogue box, so i can't test the dpi hypothesis, and my blank is printing not at the end of the file, but the side (that hest away from the printing heads). it's interesting because your paper size seems to be nearly identical to ours (850mm x 850mm, sorry, but we're in mm's over here in europe, i have trouble imagining it in inches) so it would be great if we can find a solution to this, i've been in contact with adobe for a week now, although nothing they have suggested has changed anything yet. of course i'll post any progress in that camp. as to your question about pixels, there seems to be no "stray" lines during the impression. are you experiencing the same problem in other adobe products? i'm seeing the same problem across the whole CS package, apart from photoshop, i imagine because there are no vectorials.
    ixo@adobeforums.com Guest