Professional Web Applications Themes

InDesign or Pagemaker - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have to create some manuals and newsletters for my company. They have to look professional and they have to be done very quickly. I use Photoshop quite a bit so I'm comfortable with Adobe, but I haven't used publishing software in years. Since I need to get up to speed quickly, which is best - InDesign or Pagemaker?...

  1. #1

    Default InDesign or Pagemaker

    Tim_Hanley@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: InDesign or Pagemaker

    How about asking yourself which program will still be for sale in a year? PageMaker 7 is allegedly the last version Adobe plans to make. There is a doent about this somewhere on the adobe.com site.

    I would bet on InDesign.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    It's not alleged. There will be no further development of PM.

    Go with InDesign. Even if PM hadn't been discontinued, ID runs rings
    around it, anyway.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  4. #4

    <Jim_Oblakadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > How about asking yourself which program will still be for sale in a year?
    PageMaker 7 is allegedly the last version Adobe plans to make. There is a
    doent about this somewhere on the adobe.com site.

    > I would bet on InDesign.
    I started using InDesign with no previous page layout program experience and
    found it wonderfully easy to use. Without too much prior knowledge, you
    should be able to create some really nice looking docs in a relatively short
    time. If you stay with the program, the advanced features do take a little
    time to master, and that can be said of any program, but the end result is
    great.

    If you need some preparation, I suggest the Classroom in a Book from Adobe
    Press. That should get you up to speed quickly and you should find enough
    examples to follow.

    xDsrtRat Guest

  5. #5

    <Tim_Hanleyadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > I have to create some manuals and newsletters for my company. They have to
    look professional and they have to be done very quickly. I use Photoshop
    quite a bit so I'm comfortable with Adobe, but I haven't used publishing
    software in years. Since I need to get up to speed quickly, which is best -
    InDesign or Pagemaker?

    InDesign - it kicks sand in the face of PageMaker.

    If you have broadband, there is a downloadable demo from the Adobe main
    site.

    Danny@Kendal Guest

  6. #6

    And you'll get butterflies (of excitement) every time you open up InDesign!

    JohnWH
    John_Hollinhurst@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I have to create some manuals and newsletters for my company.

    My main responsibility is to create manuals for the company I work for. They used to use PageMaker when I started working here and I convinced them to switch (with the help of the users in the forum) to InDesign. I will never go back to creating manuals using PageMaker after using InDesign! When someone asks this question I post a list I saw when I was wondering the same thing. This list will show you most but not all of the benefits of using InDesign over PageMaker. (See below)

    Reasons to switch to InDesign
    sandy johnson - 07:23am Nov 24, 2003 Pacific
    (This list was compiled from the InDesign features list from Adobe and user input on forum threads.)

    REASONS TO SWITCH TO INDESIGN

    Navigation

    1. No more turning pages, scroll down like Acrobat or Quark
    2. Supports scroll on mouse
    3. Unlimited undos, redos, and everything is undoable
    4. Opens Quark and PageMaker files directly, no separate converter
    5. Customize keyboard shortcuts
    6. Collapsible palettes dock to sides
    7. Custom slug area off page to add info/approval slugs
    8. Custom pasteboard size
    9. Save specific palettes in custom workspaces and switch workspaces at will
    10. Fast, reliable one-step PDF creation
    11. Enhanced PDF support for bookmarks, buttons and embedded movie/audio files
    12. Simpler scripting, supports Visual Basic and Apple Script
    13. Better integration with other Adobe products, consistent quick keys

    Color & Objects

    1. Eyedropper tool samples color from placed tiffs
    2. Deleting color swatch allows replacement of any color
    3. Gradient tool works like Illustrator
    4. Bezier tool draws curved and intersected paths, compound paths
    5. Pathfinder tool with add, subtract, intersect, exclude
    6. Freehand pencil tool, eraser
    7. Place dialog box includes thumbnail previews of images
    8. Info palette displays image original and effective resolution, color mode, file type, stroke and fill
    9. Stroke can be applied to objects without placing into a frame or creating keyline
    10. Stroke can be applied to inside, outside or center
    11. Can create soft drop shadows
    12. Can feather edges of images
    13. Can apply transparency with Photoshop effects
    14. Transparency preview allows for adjustment of transparent and rasterized objects
    15. Place PSD files with transparent layers and alpha channels
    16. Use any Photoshop path to clip image
    17. Separation previews for each plate, including overprint and knockout info
    18. Mixed ink support and mixed ink palettes for spot color jobs
    19. Supports DCS files and spot channels
    20. Full postscript interpreter renders EPS files clearly, even to non-ps printers

    Type

    1. Double-clicking text box inserts cursor
    2. Control+clicking text box changes to selection movement
    3. Interactively scale and distort text by control+dragging corners
    4. Placing Word docs no longer imports Auto color
    5. Built in table editor
    6. Directly import Word or Excel tables and cells
    7. Hyphenation slider gives control to amount of hyphenation in a story
    8. Paragraph composer best hyphenates paragraphs as a whole, or by sentence
    9. Supports custom dictionaries and hyphenation exceptions. Choose external user dictionary, word list stored in doent, or both.
    10. Includes and supports Open Type Pro fonts for ligatures, small caps, all fractions
    11. Optical justification including punctuation, and optical baseline shift of parentheses/brackets for all caps
    12. Use font metrics or optical kerning
    13. Story editor added to version CS
    14. Nested style sheets allow character style and strokes to portions of a paragraph
    15. Removed unused styles without a script
    16. Supports extended character set and Open Type fonts beyond ANSI 255
    17. Create custom glyph sets from different fonts
    18. Multi-column text frames
    19. Can set type on a path
    20. Type can be converted to outlines
    21. Text wrap can follow an image’s path or detect edges, and can be overridden
    22. Info palette displays character and word count
    23. Map XML tags to style sheets
    24. Font names include TT or T1 to avoid conflicts
    25. Quark-like keyboard shortcuts to adjust leading, kerning, baseline shift
    26. Assignable keyboard shortcuts for style sheets
    27. No more pseudo bolds or italics
    28. Gradients and strokes of any color or can be applied to type
    29. Better drop cap management.

    Do you need more? Search the forum and you'll probably find a thousand and one more reasons.

    Feel free to check in the PageMaker forum. You're sure to get the same type of response.

    Oh, and if you are already used to using PageMaker from back when you used to do it, you can also get the PM plug-in pack which makes it even easier on new users to get started on InDesign.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    you can also get the PM plug-in pack

    Comes with it now.
    graffiti Guest

  9. #9

    Comes with it now.

    Even better! No reason to go with anything else.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    > Comes with it now.

    Only if you buy the entire suite. Otherwise, you pay $49.00.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  11. #11

    Only if you buy the entire suite. Otherwise, you pay $49.00.

    Ah! My mistake.
    graffiti Guest

  12. #12

    thats clear.indesign is the perfect,you can used.
    rezamorshed@adobeforums.com Guest