Professional Web Applications Themes

Indesign PDFs - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have recently found out that my printer can only print from Pdf doent that are compatible with Acrobat verion 3 (PDF 1.2). Unfortunatly Indesign doesnt recognise this version and I cant down save a higher version of the PDF in Acrobat. Is there any way of doing this. Also unless I export using compatible with acrobat 5, PDFs created had thin white borders around some images and text. Why is this!!...

  1. #1

    Default Indesign PDFs

    David_Delahay@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Indesign PDFs

    Look for another printer. The oldest version used by a printer I've ever seen over the last 2 years is version 4 (PDF 1.3). A printer should do something to catch up with the times.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    com wrote:

    That's probably just on screen. Try turning off 'Smooth line
    art' inside Acrobats preferences.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  4. #4

    Thanks for the replies. The white boxes have gone now, seems strange that this only happens in older PDF versions.

    have been able to get hold of some software that converts PDFs to older versions.

    Cheers
    David_Delahay@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    com wrote:

    I'm not sure but it could have something to do with transparency.
    PDF version 1.4 (Acrobat 5) is the first version that supports
    transparency and maybe that's why you can't see them when you
    save to PDF version 1.4 or above.

    When you save to PDF version 1.3 (or lower) everything gets
    flattened, and when that happens, Acrobat has a bug that makes
    bounding box lines from programs like InDesign or Illustrator
    visible, when 'Smooth line art' is enabled. That's my theory :)

    The white lines only appears on screen though, as I wrote earlier.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  6. #6

    It's not a bug...it's called stitching. A search here or the Mac forum
    will give you the details.

    To the OP...please find another printer if at all possible.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    Hmm, I have searched but haven't found an explanation on why we
    need stitching in Acrobat.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  8. #8

    Who said you needed it? You called it a bug...it's not. It's expected
    behavior and only appears on screen. It doesn't print.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  9. #9

    Well, if it's not a bug, then there must be an explanation on why
    it's there. It seems to confuse a lot of users and who can guess
    that 'Smooth line art: off' can get rid of it?

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  10. #10

    ID is a professional application designed to be used by trained
    professionals.

    It's been explained to death why stitching occurs and how to avoid it.

    I find it amazing how many people scream bug the second they don't
    understand something.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    May I recommend a cold shower? It seems that you spend too much
    time in here...

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  12. #12

    Thomas,

    Be glad Bob spends so much time here. He's one of the forum hosts who not only keeps these forums running, but also contributes to keep these forums at the high quality level they have.

  13. #13

    Teus,

    You're right. I took a cold shower myself and it worked.

    Actually I wasn't trying to insult anyone by calling the white
    lines in Acrobat a bug, but it seems that I managed to insult
    Bob, and I'm sorry for that.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  14. #14

    Yes, all you non-professionals who made the mistake of buying InDesign, please return your software to Adobe, with your abject apologies for soiling the ground on which true professionals tread. And tell 'em Bob sent you.
    Stu_Bloom_x@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    It's been explained to death why stitching occurs and how to avoid it

    Until you know that the issue is called stitching it is kind of difficult to find the solution.
    When i had this issue a while back i spent ages searching all sorts of keywords without success, then you get jumped on for asking a question that has come up before.

    If it is as regular a question as it seems, why not add it to the FAQs and save everyone getting uptight?

    Colin W
    CJC_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Good suggestion, Colin

    I didn't knew that the phenomenon is called stitching in English,
    but I know how to avoid it, and that it only happens on screen
    (although a forum search indicates that it can occur on press
    too).

    Not all of us have time to read in these forums 24/7 so it often
    makes me just a little bit frustrated to read statements like:
    "It's been explained to death!", "Do a search on it, for crying
    out loud!", and so forth.

    I know that it can be very annoying for those who spend lots of
    time in a forum, if the same question is answered again and again,
    but a solution to that is adding it to the FAQ or a simple link
    to an explanation instead of a patronizing "it's been explained to
    death!"-answer.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  17. #17

    My point is that nobody should be screaming bug until they verify it as
    such. There are enough real bugs to concentrate on.

    If you check any of my past responses to this type of thing, I've always
    advised them search for stitching and to either turn of smooth line art or
    use Acrobat 5. That includes this thread. My later comments were aimed at
    calling it a bug.

    Oh, and one more thing. I would be remiss if I didn't acknowlege Mr. Bloom's
    excellent contribution to this thread. My day wouldn't be complete without
    one of his pearls of wisdom.

    Bob

    Bob Guest

  18. #18

    Not all of us have time to read in these forums 24/7

    No one expects this. However it is expected that one cracks open the manual or help files first. Most forum answers are from the manual and help files. The forum folks that anwser petty questions are often annoyed that others are too lazy to read the manual.

    Transparency requires significant education before you can go willy-nilly with it in your designs. Adobe offers several PDF file downloads that describe proper practices. See the InDesign products pages and also search the Adobe.com web site for 'transparency'.

    If I recall correctly, Acrobat 3 was available 10 years ago. If your printer is so backwards, send your file to another printer or prepress shop to have film made and then take the film back to your own printer to have them run the job on the incredible discount they must be giving you. Trying to save the PDF file down so far is likely to cause trouble for you. PDF 1.2 is very limited on features.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Oh, and one more thing. I would be remiss if I didn't acknowlege Mr. Bloom's
    excellent contribution to this thread. My day wouldn't be complete without
    one of his pearls of wisdom.

    Same here. It's almost gotten to the point of comic relief. I don't think anyone that's been around very long takes him too seriously.
    Roger_Meeker@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Bob,

    Okay. I see what you mean and let's move on.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast