Professional Web Applications Themes

Indesign to word - Adobe Indesign Windows

David, can you do it in the other direction... Lets say... take a doent created in Word and transport it into InDesign 2.0? If so, how would that be done and how much of the font, color, photos etc. be retained? Thanks, Brian R Martin...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Indesign to word

    brian_r_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    That is... would be retained..:-)

    brm
    brian_r_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If you want it brought into InDesign and to be editable within InDesign, that can't be done (unless you bring in the elements individually). If it doesn't need to be editable in InDesign, you could print from Word to a Postscript file, distill that into a PDF, and place the PDF into InDesign. In the latter case, all of the fonts, colors, photos, etc. should be retained, dependent only on the characteristics of the Postscript printer driver you use (e.g., if you print to a monochrome Postscript printer driver, your colors will all be converted to grayscale).
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Mr. Bloom.
    brian_r_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I am trying to copy/export RTF text from Indesign into Word. I put my curser in the text, go to file, go to export, choose RTF and it copy again the first text block I exported. That means to me that it's stuck on my clip board. Where ever that is.

    Can't I just copy my text - text block by text block and paste it into MS Word?? Like I used to? It's 225 pages of text.

    You see now that Indesign does not allow my client who's in windows and has a previous Indesign to open my updated file. I'm on deadline and have (4) 225+ page books that need editing. I have the power now since upgraded, but can't preform with my client. NOT HAPPY WITH INDESIGN YOU GUYS!!

    I don't think after just spending $1,200.00 and the Indesign folks haven't figured this compatibility, that I also have to pay for tech support!!

    Please help.
    sudi_scott@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Block by block? Yes, with some difficulty. But story-by-story is a piece of cake.

    1. Place the cursor in any of the text frames that comprise the story.

    2. Edit->Select All

    3. Edit->Copy

    It's now on your clipboard in RTF format, ready to paste into Word.

    The method you describe is mixing up cut/paste with file export. When you export, you create an RTF file - you don't put anything on the clipboard. You can open that file in Word or insert it into an existing Word doent using Word's Insert->File command.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for your response. Let's see. When I'm in my Indesign file I did what you suggested. Copy the story and then go to the word.doc and paste and the first text story I placed copy again. Like only the first text copied is on the clip board.

    Then when trying your tip to export TRF text into the Word.doc it also copies in the orginal text again.

    When I tried in Word going to "Place" file, I can't place an Indesign file right. Because it's not highlighting the file name as an obtion.

    Thanks.
    sudi_scott@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Here's another possibility. I converted some files from RTFs to ID. I wanted to make them look more professional. I used them as PDFs. Now someone wants a backup in Word format. As everyone has said this is essentially impossible.

    However, I was able to import the PDF into my OCR software and generate a Word doent. It's not perfect, but it's close. Good for a quick backup.

    Rod
    Rod_Pickett@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks you guys. I have gotten both of these suggestions to help. Finally. I hope the next version of ID will have the "open previous versions" corrected. As well as the functionality with MS Word.

    Thanks again.
    sudi_scott@adobeforums.com Guest