Professional Web Applications Themes

inDesign, Version Cue and Book (indb) Files - Adobe Indesign Windows

All, In my office, we are finding inconsistencies in the way inDesign book files (.indb files) are handled by inDesign and/or Version Cue. I'll explain the problem below, but I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem and, if so, if there are any work-arounds. The problem concerns sharing inDesign book files (again, .indb files) via Version Cue projects. In my office, we have found that book files created by one project user cannot be consistently used by other project users. It's not a question of accessing the book files among project users: all of us have ...

  1. #1

    Default inDesign, Version Cue and Book (indb) Files

    All,

    In my office, we are finding inconsistencies in the way inDesign book files (.indb files) are handled by inDesign and/or Version Cue. I'll explain the problem below, but I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem and, if so, if there are any work-arounds.

    The problem concerns sharing inDesign book files (again, .indb files) via Version Cue projects. In my office, we have found that book files created by one project user cannot be consistently used by other project users. It's not a question of accessing the book files among project users: all of us have Administrator privilege and can do that just fine.

    It's a question of using the book files and, more precisely, in being able to click on the various entries in book files to open the underlying inDesign doents (.indd files). What we have found is that a user who creates a book file can access the doents just fine, namely, by clicking on the book entries. The other users get warning messages when they try to click on the book entries. Those messages reference inDesign doents on the creating user's cache -- not doents in the Version Cue project -- making me think that the book feature is not working properly (at least as far as Version Cue is concerned).

    If it were just warning messages, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. However, we have found that non-creators of the book files have to re-create the books themselves, if they wish to have book-like access to the underlying inDesign doents.

    I should point out that we are having NO problems sharing other doents and files via Version Cue. It seems to do just fine with .indd files, .pdf files, and anything else we store to it. The problem seems to be only with .indb files.

    Has anyone else experienced this problem with inDesign, books and Version Cue. Any workarounds?

    Dave Powsner
    David_Powsner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    You are not alone. Experiencing many of same problems between workstation A and B, but not between A and C. Even after modifying the indb from A, saving all doents and the indb when I opne the indb on B the list is a version 'old' missing any added doents, not numbered correctly, etc.
    Have you found a solution? I'll post if I do.

    Our indb files are on a common server, same location as the doent files. Everyone has equivalent access (or so I beleive!).

    Using: Windows 7 64-bit, Indesign CS5.0x, Windows 2000 Server with Active Directory.
    bstone Guest