Professional Web Applications Themes

Index Reference/Topic - Adobe Indesign Windows

Does anyone know of a way to clear all entries from the Index palette at once? I'm trying to work with another language but when I remove the entries from the stories in the layout or story editor, the English entries remain and I am forced to remove one at a time. Additionally, when I remove all entries from either the Reference or Topic side the entries remain on the other side and I also need to remove the rest manually. Using InDesign CS2 on a Windows XP SP2 machine. P4 3.0 Ghz w/1.5 GB RAM. TIA...

  1. #1

    Default Index Reference/Topic

    MisfitDeluxe@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Index Reference/Topic

    Visualize them as girls;

    Unzip;

    Watch them disappear quicker than you ever thought possible.
    Bert Guest

  3. #3

    This is no time for riddles sweetheart. Make with the answer.
    MisfitDeluxe@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    This line of script will remove all topics and page references:

    app.activeDoent.indexes[0].topics.everyItem().remove();

    Copy the line to a text editor and save it in the subfolder Presets\Scripts of your ID program folder with the extension .jsx, e.g. Clearallindexentries.jsx. You can run the script from the script palette.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    BTW, if you have to give yourself a nickname and choose the name you have chosen, you are asking for posts like that of a certain Bert Philippus.

  6. #6

    Sounds great, I'll give it a try. Many thanks to you Teus!
    MisfitDeluxe@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    BTW, if you have to give yourself a nickname and choose the name you have
    chosen, you are asking for posts like that of a certain Bert Philippus.

    Bert is just being a Bert. He and I have grown into a "loving" relationship LOL. It's just a joke and we're picking on each other. Pandas play fighting.
    MisfitDeluxe@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Teus, (or anyone)

    The script you gave has been working up until now. I tried using it on a doent I currently have open and when I double-clicked the script, it did in fact remove all the page references from the Index palette. The problem I'm seeing is that the page references still remain in the story. I have show hidden characters enabled and I could see the entries are still there. I've tried going into the story editor, selecting all, then double-clicking the script again but nothing happens. The entries remain. Short of removing these manually via story editor, do you have any other ideas?
    Jason_Drabek@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I have never seen this. The only way left is to do it the hard way:

    tops = app.activeDoent.indexes[0].allTopics;
    nroftops = tops.length;
    for (i = nroftops -1; i > -1; i--){

    tops[i].pageReferences.everyItem().remove();
    }

  10. #10

    Jason,

    1. I see your name has had a drastic makeover. :-)
    2. The new script will only work if the topics are there.

  11. #11

    1. After what you pointed out yesterday, I agreed that it would be best if I just use a real name instead (Edit: [of]) something provocative.

    2. Tried the new script, and the stubborn things are still there.

    The scripts are still useful on most doents but any doents like the one I'm working on now will need to be done manually. At least you tried. Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
    Jason_Drabek@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Jason,

    I just thought of another method to get rid of the index entries. It works as follows:

    1. Export the doent as INX (InDesign Interchange).
    2. Load the INX-file in a standard editor.
    3. Search for <pidx pnam=.

    4. Select all text starting with the line <pidx pnam= upto and including the line with </pidx> and delete this whole block.
    5. Load this INX file and your index has gone.