Professional Web Applications Themes

Indexing a book - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'm attempting to generate an index for a collection of eight ID2 docs. They're in a book, the book file is open, I have the two book boxes checked, (on the index pallette and in the Generate Index dialog) but the index that is generated will not locate refrences of words in other docs within the book. In fact, all it finds are the tags I created. Not so useful. As I edited the book I selected words and hit Ctrl-Alt-U to apply the index tags. What am I missing? -John O...

  1. #1

    Default Indexing a book

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Indexing a book

    John

    Two possible things: make sure that all eight files are open, and when
    you go to the Index palette (after hitting Cntrl+U) make sure that you
    use the 'Add All' button to commit the entry. Also, of course, make sure
    that you have the 'Reference' check button ticked, and not the 'Topic'
    button.

    That should find every reference to the text you are indexing. Be
    careful, though, as if you have already done some indexing, the index
    term could be indexed twice.

    Brian
    Brian_Smithson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    > you go to the Index palette (after hitting Cntrl+U) make sure that you
    > use the 'Add All' button to commit the entry.
    I am doing all the other stuff, but this part is starting to bother me. I
    added the tags as I edited, just Ctrl-Alt-U and keep going over the last
    couple months on this book. Am I really supposed to select every tagged
    word/phrase and fiddle with the Index dialog to make it work?

    So, I tried that for a couple Chap 2 words, and several references are added
    in that chapter. OK so far. Then I rebuild the index, and it doesn't even
    look at Chap 3 for them, where I know they exist. Surely indexing works
    better than this...right?

  4. #4

    Well, it kinda works. The indexer will take me to the entry, wherever it may
    be in the book, then I can do the Add All thing. Better than I had feared,
    more trouble than I was planning for. On balance, I hope it rains this
    weekend while I'm reworking this bugger. :-)

  5. #5

    John

    Indexing is always a bunch of work :-(

  6. #6

    > Indexing is always a bunch of work :-(

    Yes of course. I'm don't even need a "good" index, and this is still a PITA.
    After reflecting over the weekend, I'm really disappointed that I can't
    apply useful index tags as the individual docs are being created. Waiting
    until the entire book is complete is just not workable...it adds days to the
    project that *were* absorbed during edit and layout.

    I finished Chapter 1 in June, and the last chapter will be done today or
    tomorrow. They're all loaded with tags, which have very minumal value at
    this point. Seems like a simple programming thing to address, really.

    Then, I'm looking at four different ID books plus Help, and I still can't
    figure out how to combine the entries for "decibel" and "decibels".

  7. #7

    John

    Easiest way here is to use the 'Topic' button at the top of the Index
    Palette.

    In your example, either change decibel to decibels, or decibels to
    decibel. When you click the 'Reference' radio button, then the
    references for those two entries will have been combined.

  8. #8

    > In your example, either change decibel to decibels, or decibels to
    > decibel. When you click the 'Reference' radio button, then the
    > references for those two entries will have been combined.
    That's so easy...thanks for the tip.