Professional Web Applications Themes

Indian languages - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, Does Adobe CS2 (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) support Indian languages employing Unicode and opentype fonts? Regards, Pavanaja...

  1. #1

    Default Indian languages

    Pavanaja@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Indian languages

    Indesign supports Unicode and Opentype fonts. It has limited support for
    Indic languages. More at
    http://www.creativepro.com/img/story/022404_idlanguages.pdf.

    Ken Benson

    Kenneth_Benson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I downloaded the trail version of Indesign CS2 and tested myself. It allows the keyboard input for Indian languages (Unicode). I tried Hindi and Kannada. In both the cases, it displayed the entered characters as blank squares. I could change the font for the Kannada characters into Tunga opentype font (from Microsoft). But the rendering was not perfect. It did not join the conjuncts. In case of Hindi text, it did not show any of the Hindi opentype fonts that I have. Hence I could not check the rendering of Hindi text.

    I can conclude that Indesign is not using the Uniscribe rendering engine for displaying complex scripts employing opentype fonts. When they are not using Uniscribe, they should have developed their own rendering engine as alternative. They have not done that also. This is distressing from Adobe, who jointly with Microsoft, have evolved the opentype font technology :(

    Regards,
    Pavanaja
    <http://www.bhashaindia.com/>
    Pavanaja@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    > I downloaded the trail version of Indesign CS2 and tested myself.

    The CS2 demo is not available yet. The only demo is the CS demo.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    It took three or four months after release of InDesign CS before the trial version was available. I'd expect about the same delay for the CS2 demo.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    The Adobe CoolType engine is the text renderer. So, they did develop their own rendering engine; it just doesn't offer support for the OT features you want (need) to use.

    CoolType can often be fooled by careful font editing. If you edit your Hindi OT fonts (maybe kosher, maybe not, depending on the font licensing) so that they no longer declare themselves to be Hindi, you can at least get ID to see your fonts (CoolType seems to refuse to acknowledge the existence of fonts for scripts for which it does not provide support). I've had success with complex scripts with this method, but we never do text entry into ID, and it requires careful RTF production (i.e., RTFs not generated by Word) with some conversions (precomposed glyphs, etc.) done before placing the RTF (or sometimes c/ping into ID). I've never handled Hindi, but I've successfully done Lao in ID ("Latin"). I can't think of a ligature-reliant script like Hindi that I've done in ID, except for small amounts of Farsi (which requires a whole boatload of tricks). Hindi script combines some of the most challenging features of both of these scripts, so... best of luck.

    Unfortunately, for the truly complex scripts of the world, ID alone just isn't a useful tool (without being willing to do lots of manual work with many inelegant hacks).

    Hey, at least there's no InDesign Passport.

    (looks at ID ME, ID CE)

    Never mind. Hey, at least I can do CJK in ID.
    Joel_Cherney@adobeforums.com Guest