Professional Web Applications Themes

inexpensive Puyallup Wa ISP for old mac? - Mac Applications & Software

Trying to deal with a problem of my own making . . . I gave my 90 year old mother-in-law a Quadra 630, and now she wants on the 'Net. I don't live nearby, and Net Zero, which seems to be the ISP she's heard of, doesn't "support" an OS < 9. She has 8.1. I know the machine can get on the 'Net, because my wife used to use it for that, but don't know of any appropriate inexpensive ISPs. Does anyone know whether Net Zero would work "unsupported", or of another $10 - $20 per month ISP? The ...

  1. #1

    Default inexpensive Puyallup Wa ISP for old mac?

    Trying to deal with a problem of my own making . . . I gave my 90 year
    old mother-in-law a Quadra 630, and now she wants on the 'Net. I don't
    live nearby, and Net Zero, which seems to be the ISP she's heard of,
    doesn't "support" an OS < 9. She has 8.1. I know the machine can get on
    the 'Net, because my wife used to use it for that, but don't know of any
    appropriate inexpensive ISPs. Does anyone know whether Net Zero would
    work "unsupported", or of another $10 - $20 per month ISP? The nearby
    relatives all use PCs, so I'll be doing phone support . . . as I said, a
    problem of my own making.

    Thanks
    Fumbling Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: inexpensive Puyallup Wa ISP for old mac?

    Hi-
    I can't help you with the ISP but if you are in the Connecticut area, I
    have some inexpensive, older PowerMacs that can run OS 9 and solve your
    problem.
    E-mail me if interested.
    Ron

    <<
    Trying to deal with a problem of my own making . . . I gave my 90 year
    old mother-in-law a Quadra 630, and now she wants on the 'Net. I don't
    live nearby, and Net Zero, which seems to be the ISP she's heard of,
    doesn't "support" an OS < 9. She has 8.1. I know the machine can get on
    the 'Net, because my wife used to use it for that, but don't know of any
    appropriate inexpensive ISPs. Does anyone know whether Net Zero would
    work "unsupported", or of another $10 - $20 per month ISP? The nearby
    relatives all use PCs, so I'll be doing phone support . . . as I said, a
    problem of my own making.

    Thanks [/ref]

    OSTIAANTIC Guest

  3. #3

    In comp.sys.mac.comm Fumbling User <net> wrote:

    Dunno if they have a local dial up there (they do in a lot of places)
    but http://world.std.com is reasonably priced, simple ppp dialup,
    and fair tech support. Shell account too if you want it..

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  4. #4

    com wrote in message news:<bh6kpl$ges$std.com>... [/ref]

    You should be able to use any standard ISP. All the software should
    already be in MacOS 8.1. Don't bother using the ISP software. I had
    to re-install 8.6 because my parents wanted to get the latest version
    of the software from the ISP.

    MacOS 8.1 isn't too hard to configure, but you'll probably want to be
    there as opposed to doing it over the phone. Use eudora for email.

    The 630 is going to be a little slow. You can get a much faster
    system off of ebay for $50 + $50 shipping.
    Robert Guest

  5. #5

    I want to thank everyone who responded with suggestions on and off list.
    It's true that if I'd really thought she would be using the computer for
    more than solitaire, I probably would have given her one of several
    newer macs I have stashed here . . . but she has it there now, and I'm
    here. I recall from using an old quadra 650 myself that the modem
    connection was the real bottleneck for speed on a so-so phone line, and
    that if one stayed clear of embedded apps and huge graphics, netscape
    4.08 was tolerable, as was icab. I avoided giving her an early powermac
    because I always felt that the OS was more stable with 8.1 on 68040
    until 8.6 on ppc machines. I suspect that if she continues catching on
    as fast as she has been, that I'll be swapping the 630 for an imac
    before she's turned 91. I had actually thought that she might wind up
    just using the TV in it. I'm really quite amazed at how she's gotten
    into it.

    I agree with avoiding the ISPs installers like the plague, and using
    Eudora for email. The modem's a Zoom V90, so I don't think that'll be a
    problem.

    I'm sure her other relatives, who live nearby, would have preferred she
    use a PC, because that's what they all use, but I really didn't want to
    have to deal with the inevitable registry and virus problems.
    A. Guest

  6. #6

    In article <uswest.net>,
    Fumbling User <net> wrote:

    I'm in Seattle and Earthlink's pretty Mac friendly, though it might not
    be the cheapest ISP in the land.

    NN 4.0.8 and Eudora are certainly the best 040 apps for a Quadra.
    Another good addition would be MacLink and GraphiConverter because she
    might get frustrated by people sending her files she can't open.

    John
    Yet Guest

  7. #7

    In article <uswest.net>,
    Fumbling User <net> wrote:

    Copper.net (http://copper.net> has point-of-presence numbers in Tacoma
    and Tocama-Waverly which are in Puyallup's local calling area. The
    dial-up service is $9.95/month or $100.00/year.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  8. #8

    > In article <uswest.net>, [/ref]

    I highly recommend Drizzle, which I've been using for 4 years now -
    small local ISP, local access in Puyallup, great tech support, nice
    people, etc. Diaup is $22 a month, which includes an email account and
    10 MB of server space. If you pay in advance (3 months, 6 months, 1
    year) the price goes down per month. They support Macs, although I
    couldn't find info about specific OS versions, but you could give them a
    call. http://www.drizzle.com. Their info about dialup accounts is at
    http://www.drizzle.com/ppp/pppmactcpip.html

    --
    Debbie the Underdogged das at spamcop dot net
    "I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years."