Professional Web Applications Themes

information integrator & informix - IBM DB2

hello all! has anyone tried connecting Info integrator to Informix 9.x? if so, here are my questions....how much of the server's resources does it use? does it matter if using Info integrator pointing to a ted instance versus the production instance? We use HDR on Informix and want the Info integrator to point to the HDR instance, not the main production instance.. Thanks Tom...

  1. #1

    Default information integrator & informix

    hello all!
    has anyone tried connecting Info integrator to Informix 9.x?
    if so, here are my questions....how much of the server's resources
    does it use?
    does it matter if using Info integrator pointing to a ted
    instance versus the production instance? We use HDR on Informix and
    want the Info integrator to point to the HDR instance, not the main
    production instance..

    Thanks
    Tom
    tomL Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: information integrator & informix

    I haven't use HDR for years. Is that the database on the secondary
    server READ-ONLY?

    tomL wrote:

    I think that will depend which kind of things you will do through Info
    integrator.

    Fan Guest

  3. #3

    Tom

    Basically II is a combination of gateway + a significantly expanded version
    of the IDS synonyms. II uses "nicknames" to reference the remote data but
    have significantly more information than the IDS synonyms.

    The 'gateway' component is embedded in what are called 'wrappers' which are
    basically esql/c routines that translate the DB2 environment into an
    IDS/CSDK environment. They have knowledge about the IDS catalogue and other
    system stuff and load some of that information into the DB2 catalogue when
    the nickname is created. That allows the II server to be able to use
    optimization logic against the IDS server in much the same way as the DB2
    server.

    You could probably use the II server against the HDR secondary, but it might
    not always work. For instance, with the II server we push down queries to
    the remote server where we can. This means that we may decide to pushdown
    segments of a table on the DB2 server to the IDS server so that the join can
    be performed on the IDS server. That would mean having to create a
    temporary table on the IDS server. I'm not sure that we are doing such a
    good job currently with pushdown logic, but that is an area that we are
    working on to improve overall performance. I really think that I'd suggest
    using the HDR primary server.

    As far as overhead - there is really no more overhead on the IDS server than
    a normal user would create on the IDS server. Fundamentally, as far as IDS
    is concerned, the II query into the IDS server is simply another distributed
    query, much as an IDS I-STAR query is.

    M.Pruet

    "tomL" <com> wrote in message

    Madison Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, the secondary is Read-Only.

    The thought was for DB2 folks to hit the secondary Informix server
    using tion for re-hosting of the data.
    Thanks,
    Tom

    Fan Ruo Xin <net> wrote in message news:<net>...

    > I think that will depend which kind of things you will do through Info
    > integrator.
    > [/ref]
    tomL Guest

  5. #5

    I think that should be no problem. But remember db2 tion is different than Informix HDR.

    tomL wrote:

    > > I think that will depend which kind of things you will do through Info
    > > integrator.
    > > [/ref][/ref]

    Fan Guest