Professional Web Applications Themes

Infra-red on digi, true or false - Photography

G'Day! Two of the other students in my photog class are using infra-red in their first year folios and the results are magic (sick really!) I'd love to have a go but am afraid of the ~$9/roll cost for 35mm. Is it true that I could take infra-red photos using a digital camera and a filter? I recall reading a web page that said using a 87 or 87C filter... Is that really possible? Who has tried this and can comment on how good that technique is (digi and filter)? Looking forward to being an infra-red addict... Cheers...

  1. #1

    Default Infra-red on digi, true or false

    G'Day! Two of the other students in my photog class are using infra-red in
    their first year folios and the results are magic (sick really!) I'd love
    to have a go but am afraid of the ~$9/roll cost for 35mm. Is it true that I
    could take infra-red photos using a digital camera and a filter? I recall
    reading a web page that said using a 87 or 87C filter... Is that really
    possible? Who has tried this and can comment on how good that technique is
    (digi and filter)? Looking forward to being an infra-red addict... Cheers

    eddie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Infra-red on digi, true or false

    "eddie" <com> wrote in message
    in

    is

    Yes it is possible but not with all digitals. The way I tested my G2 was
    to point the TV remote at it and I could see the remote light on the rear
    LCD.

    So if you see it, you can do IR. This test is a little harder on a DSLR
    :-)

    AU Guest

  3. #3

    "AU Digital Photo Of The Day" <com.au> wrote in message
    > in [/ref]
    love [/ref]
    that [/ref]
    recall
    > is [/ref]
    Cheers

    (omg!) WHOAW it works on my Canon G3... I'm so excited!!!!!!! (I never use
    multiple exclamations but this time I'll excuse myself) WOW... so should I
    get an 87 or 87C filter?! Thanks so much!

    eddie Guest

  4. #4

    "eddie" <com> wrote: [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
    and [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]
    DSLR

    Take a look at the following site, a decent resource of IR photography.

    http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/ir.htm

    Get in quick though as he is taking the site down at the end of Nov 03 :-(.

    Even though the camera may see the IR from the remote it may not be that
    sensitive to it and might require long exposures. Consider how good your
    camera is at long exposures, if it gets noisy it might not be a winner.

    KC

    Ken Guest

  5. #5

    Jaycar or the like sell a small ring light of high intensity infrared LEDS
    designed for security cameras. Maybe that would be the way to go

    ..
    "Ken" <n e w s (at) k e n c h a n d l e r . c o m> wrote in message
    news:3fab78c0$0$9221$optusnet.com.au... [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > and [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > DSLR
    > [/ref]
    WOW

    > Take a look at the following site, a decent resource of IR photography.
    >
    > http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/ir.htm
    >
    > Get in quick though as he is taking the site down at the end of Nov 03[/ref]
    :-(.

    Joe Guest

  6. #6

    "Joe" <.nu> wrote in message

    Oops. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the discussion was about taking
    infrared photos in total darknes, in which case the ring light would be
    good.

    But if you want to take IR photos using normal sunlight that contains plenty
    of infrared light to get that surreal weird colour look, then obviously just
    a filter over the lens will work.

    Sorry I jumped in.

    Joe Guest

  7. #7

    "eddie" <com> wrote in message
    in

    is

    never tried it myself (don't own a digi) but most photo Forums on the 'net
    have people doing this.

    Cheers, Nige

    Nige Guest

  8. #8

    "eddie" <com> wrote in message
    in

    is

    Sony Cybershot 707, 717, 828 is designed to have true IR capability. The
    camera is enabled for IR shooting with a switch. Most other cameras have
    SOME IR capacity.

    Miro Guest

  9. #9

    Defintately works on Canon PSA series digicams. I usually put the camera on
    a tripod, take a photo of the scene on normal, then put a #87 filter in
    front of the lens. After a couple of seconds the camera will compensate.
    Then I take the same shot again. This lets you do all sorts of fun tricks
    with addition/subtraction/false colour etc.

    "eddie" <com> wrote in message
    in

    is

    Alan Guest

  10. #10

    I've posted some pics http://www.alsworld.net/irpics/

    "Alan" <com> wrote in message
    on
    > in [/ref]
    love [/ref]
    that [/ref]
    recall
    > is [/ref]
    Cheers

    >[/ref]

    Alan Guest

  11. #11

    Dont have want to pay much for a filter? Use a piece of developed slide film, it
    should be dark in colour. Use that in front of the lens...
    good luck!
    Jacek

    eddie wrote:

    Jacek Guest